Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Royal Ryser

Default Painting with a turbine

I have a turbine set-up by Titan; blower, hose and gun. I am having problems with the gun not atomizing the paint. I have the recommended tip and cap combo and the gun is clean, etc. Note, this is not a compressor operated system. The turbine produces a high volume of low pressure air.
The air produced is warm and has no water in it. (This should get some comments.)

My question is, What kind of hvlp replacement gun would any of you recommend? I'm wanting a low priced gun. I will be only painting 1 or 2 cars.

Any help would be appreciated.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
wga

Default Re: Painting with a turbine

Harbor Freight is the low price leader on spray guns. However, you will be in the same situation as you are now - not atomizing the paint, inconsistent pattern, inconsistent size of paint droplets in the spray pattern, etc. Try getting parts for their guns. Try getting a larger or smaller fluid tip.
Are you reducing the paint properly? Is the gun air passages clean? Contact Titan tech support and get their input. There is a viscosity cup they supply that will determine if your paint is reduced correctly.
When it comes to sprays guns, you get what you pay for. Eastwood has these Devilbiss 'Starting LIne' guns at a great price. Might check your local automotive paint dealer and see if they can set you up. That way if you have a question or problem, they are much more willing to help if you bought it from them. I have both Binks and Devilbiss HVLP spray guns and have had zero issues with either of them.
Link to Eastwood: http://www.eastwood.com/paints/paint...aint-guns.html

Last edited by wga; 07-22-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added eastwood link
wga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

As stated one of the problems is not thinning the paint enough.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Royal Ryser

There are lots of HVLP guns available but most are made for use with a compressor and many of them are good brands, ie, DeVilbiss. What I'm looking for is a lower priced gun that works off of a turbine.
I have been careful to thin the paint correctly and am sure the gun is completely clean. Titan reps are "not famliar " with the gun I have, probably because it is old and they are young.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
rotorwrench

A turbine compressor is still an air compressor but just a different type. It still boils down to pressure in the hose and internal diameter size of the hose to get the flow of air that the gun is designed for. Some of the late paint concoctions have temperature limitations as well as viscosity limitations so you need to know your paint well. The more information you can find the better. A gun that doesn't atomize correctly may have a paint problem or it may have a fluid supply problem depending on whether it it a top feed cup or a siphon bottom feed cup or a bottom feed pressure cup like a pressure pot gun.

A person has to be specific about what type of gun you have or want. Most HVLP guns are either top feed or they are a bottom pressure pot type gun. Some have an air check valve on the line to the pot. All this stuff has to work correctly.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-22-2015 at 05:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Ken Crans

Its a finer atomization..Thin out your paint a little thinner and try again on a test piece.are you using 1 stage enamel or 2 stage base coat/clear coat?
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

http://www.tptools.com/ProLine-Turbi...pray-Guns.html

My father bought one, it worked good, got hot , painting a whole car you would have to use a thick glove and wrap the handle in a rag ----it got lent out and was used with latex paint, was never the same even with new parts in the gun
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Tony, NY

The turbine sprayer I have (20yrs old) came with a gun designed for it. I didn't care for the results using a turbine setup. The turbine sounds like a vacuum cleaner and heated the air up too much. Air is constantly coming out of the gun. Always got a dry finish. I haven't used it in years. A good sounding idea that's gone nowhere.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #9
flatheadmurre

The gun itself shouldnt be the issue if its all there and clean...
Get the specs for your setup and have the Titan reps test it for flow/pressure to make sure the turbine is running good.
You need more thinner then what the normal paint receipe states...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
rustynutz

Go over to the HAMB and do a search on turbine systems, there is a large thread there on building systems and the guns that are available. Computer is slow and so am I, so I can't post a link.
rustynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
Bill Batson

I have had a Croix turbine setup for 20 years and have painted three airplanes and many parts of two cars with it. I get spray gun parts from TP tools as mentioned above.

The turbine does heat the air so I use two tandem hoses which reduces the temp at the gun. The turbine heated air is a good thing as there is never any water drops or oil in line and it seems to let you put a little thicker coat on without the paint running. Seems like the paint does have to be reduced a little more but it works great for me.

Bill
Bill Batson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
okiedokie

Go over to the HAMB and do a search on turbine systems, there is a large thread there on building systems and the guns that are available.

X2
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 AM   #13
rustynutz

Here is the link to the HAMB thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/11070706/
rustynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Royal Ryser

Rustynutz, thanks for the HAMB thread. It is very useful.