Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Bigmil79

Default Radial tires on 21" wheels?

Just got my first model A (Early 29' Tudor) so I'm learning a lot and I imagine I will have a lot more questions as I go but the first one will at least get me on the road.

I need new tires, I plan on driving this car a lot and at higher speeds so I'm willing to pay for the good stuff. So far from what I've read is get the radials. The only radials I have found for my 21" wheels are the Coker Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial 550/600R21 but when I look at the recommended rim width, they recommend a 4-5" rim while my original wheels are 2 3/4" from what my research shows me.

What do you guys recommend? Is it ok to run these tires on my wheels? I want to stay pretty stock looking and want to keep the original wheels but I want the best tire I can get because I plan to drive this car a lot and at the higher speeds once I get things tuned up.

Thanks for the help!
Bigmil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
joel rapose

Default Re: Radial tires on 21" wheels?

Not sure what you expect...but at above 70 ...air gets under the fenders and the car drifts in the wind...makes some scary driving... lhe tires you are looking at are for European sports cars and they indeed would look funny on your wheels......Goodyears or Firestones will easily run at those speeds ....far faster than your sedan will go...(if you want to keep your bearings)
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
oldman - NorCal

Yes, you can run those tires on the 21 inch wheels. I have a set on my sedan and have been very happy with them and the last Model A club event I drove to the tires got a lot of attention and questions from other club members about my satisfaction. I was very unhappy with the wear on the previous set of Firestones I bought so decided to make the switch. With nearly 7000 miles on the tires now, I can offer the following: The wear and stability are a major improvement from the Firestones. With the Mitchell overdrive, we can really get going in these old cars so, greater stability is certainly something that should be improved upon if available. These tires are Mud + Snow rated. I was not happy with the long valve stems on the radial tubes but understand that you can get Coker to install shorter metal valve stems now, if desired. I expect to get 70K miles if not more on these tires, we'll see.......
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Bigmil79

That helps me a ton oldman - Norcal!
Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
sphanna

I would do a little more research before I bought those 550\600R21 tires. I have 550R19 on my 19 inch wheels..That is about the widest I would want on standard Model A 19 inch wheels. They also make a 500R19 which is 1/2 inch narrower. I do not know what size options you will have for the 21 in wheels. If they make a 500 or a 475 width I would think they would be better. There are some here on the FB that have radial tires on the 21 inch wheels. I would wait for a response from some that have the radials on the 21 in rims. Good luck. You will be very happy with the radials. Just make sure you have made an informed decision. Lots of money to find that you are not satisfied.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Bigmil79

Thank you Sphanna! I will both wait for more responses and look to verify if they have a narrower tire!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
CarlG

Coker only lists the 550/600 in the 21" tires.

They have a 500, 550, 600 & 650 in the 19" tires.

They recommend 4-5" rims for all of the above.

I know quite a few (me included) that are using these tires on stock Model A (19") rims with no problems at all.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
updraught

Heck, heaps of cars before 1931 must have had 4 to 5 inch wheels?

Now let's see ... where did I put them ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Bigmil79

I really wanted to stay with the 21" wheels as I like the stock look. Not sure if anybody makes modified 3-4" wide 21" Model A wheels (I would be interested).

Or, Run the wider tires on the skinny rims like Norcal

Or, just buy some Goodyears (or equivalents) and say screw it.

I was just trying to plan ahead because I may (and I know this is blasphemy) modify the suspension/brakes to allow for a safer ride at interstate speeds. And I want a tire that can handle my future options.