Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
skeazle

Default top radiator hose

I have an antifreeze leak around the water pump. I still can not pin point exactly where it's coming from. I have a choice of three places it can be so I thought I would start at the top and work down. I want to start with the 8 in. hose first since it feels moist to the touch right under the clamp but I never have seen it dripping there. The next place I have seen it wet with the green stuff is on one of the two nuts at the neck. The third place could be the packing nut on my "Leekless Water Pump." I might replace the whole water pump eventually but the car only has 5,000 miles on it since it was restored. Thats not a very good track record is it I tried tightening the nut using a screw driver but I can't loosen or tighten it. Anyway my original question is do I have to tilt the top of the radiator forward to replace the top hose or can I wiggle it off? thanks, Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: top radiator hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazle View Post
Anyway my original question is do I have to tilt the top of the radiator forward to replace the top hose or can I wiggle it off? thanks, Jim
No tilt necessary, it'l come off.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
nkaminar

To get the old hose off you can use channel lock pliers to rotate the hose to knock it loose. Put the pliers on at the goose neck and radiator inlet and twist the hose. You may have to cut it in half depending on how old the hose is.

When installing a new hose, apply a thin coat of grease to enable the hose to slide easily up and down. If you use too much grease it will end up in the radiator water. The grease also allows the hose to seal easier.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
skeazle

Thanks for the reply guys. I never took one off so I didn't want to get started and not be able to finish. Jim
Old 10-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
When installing a new hose, apply a thin coat of grease to enable the hose to slide easily up and down. If you use too much grease it will end up in the radiator water. The grease also allows the hose to seal easier.
Also, spray the outside of the hose with silicone under the clamp areas. The clamp can grab the hose and cause it to "bunch" up leaving an opening between the hose and housing. The clamp needs to be able to rotate around while tightening. Hey Neil

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
MickyD

I may be old school. I use to rub some petroleum jelly on the inside of the hose top and bottom and they slid on real easy and I never had a leak after doing so. I have been doing that for 55 years.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
GerryAllen

Check the packing nut. I had a leak very similar to what you have described and tightened the packing nut on the water pump, no more leak. There is a guy on youtube that demonstrates how to do it + Les Andrews book explains it as well.
Gerry, Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
skeazle

Gerry so far I just used the biggest screwdriver I have and pried on the notches and I couldn't budge it. It's frustrating. I gave up on the hose I couldn't get it to go enough either way to get it off.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
1crosscut

To find a leak in that area toilet paper is your friend. Dry it off good and spend time dabbing fresh dry paper on the suspect spots until it shows on the paper. You will find it.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #10
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
To get the old hose off you can use channel lock pliers to rotate the hose to knock it loose. Put the pliers on at the goose neck and radiator inlet and twist the hose. You may have to cut it in half depending on how old the hose is.

i would not recommend the grease. grease is petroleum base and not good for the rubber hose. but some soap and water may work and be a better choice.
but yeah a little sliptivity is good.

tool companies make a radiator hose tool, basicly a 90deg bent hook that will slip between the hose and pipe. then run it around the hose to loosent it.
although the water pump pliers will work too.

if the removal fails cut the hose off. do not wreck your rad over a cheep rad hose.

ou
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
nkaminar

I use rubber grease. Silicone grease will probably work OK too. The rubber grease is also good for the rubber guides for the doors and any other place where rubber is rubbing against metal. Trick is to use very little.

On very old engines I have had to cut off the old radiator hoses with a box cutter. The trick there is to not cut into the soft brass neck of the radiator.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Tacoma Bob

Depending on who built the pump the packing nut may have been made non adjustable. Don't ask me how I know.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote