Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Ziggster

Default Fuel pump rod - what is the purpose of umbrella?

I need to replace the fuel pump rod and bushing according to my machinist due to wear as he has started the ré build (C69). I understand there are two different lengths depending on whether the intake is aluminum or steel, but what purpose does the "umbrella" serve? I'm assuming it diverts oil from splashing upwards, but he said it helps to "pump" air as part of the crankcase ventilation system which I still haven't fully grasped?
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Fuel pump rod - what is the purpose of umbrella?

I'd never heard of the "air pump" theory before.
I find that interesting in a humorous way

Keeping the oil down was in fact the primary reason that shield was in place.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Hmmmm . . . as it moves about .200 of an inch, I doubt that it pumps much air! Given the cubic inches of the engine and the amount of air that the road-draft system most likely moves . . . can't imagine it doing anything. Probably just another "flathead urban myth"! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Brian

And... the pushrod length is determined by the manifold, not what it's made of. Your original intake, be it aluminum or iron, uses the longer pushrod.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I was going to say it feeds oil into the mechanism of the pump as you fill it but I think its more likely to stop water running down and freezing the push rod,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Keeps down the upward splash of oil out the breather.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
Tinker

Sometimes thinking, can get get over thonk.

Sometimes over thonking is thinking.

This time we over thonk.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
And... the pushrod length is determined by the manifold, not what it's made of. Your original intake, be it aluminum or iron, uses the longer pushrod.
Ok. I have the orig and an earlier aluminum version which has the shorter casting boss for the fuel pump/breather assembly. Not sure as to which I will ultimately use, as such I'll purchase both lengths.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #9
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Sometimes thinking, can get get over thonk.

Sometimes over thonking is thinking.

This time we over thonk.
I know. I know. But it is the engineer in me.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
Tinker

As an engineer it might be easy or simply confusing. Everything had a purpose, simple or other. First time I saw a cotter pin in a oil pan I cursed and said what sh!t is this. Till I found out it had a factory purpose. Not sure there is a part number though. Internet searches are problematic...

On the 59a with a offy aluminum I believe you need the short rod.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-14-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Ziggster

I thought I would give an update, as I purchased two new ones from Speedway. One of for the cast intake and the other was for the aluminum intake. Here are the observations from the machinist:

1. Both were CAD plated which caused interference with the brass bushing I also purchased from Speedway. The machinist had to remove the plating for them to fit.
2. Both are warped along the axis (Guessing by 0.050" to 0.100"). This is likely due to the fact that the "umbrella" was TIG welded around the complete rod circumference which is totally unnecessary. The original "umbrella" was just spot welded in one area.
3. The overall length of the new long version was actually longer (about 3/16") than the stock one I had. We didn't measure anything to see what was right/wrong. Also, the length below the the "umbrella" on the new long version was shorther than the stock version.

I'm very disappointed in the quality issues and will speak with Speedway when I have a chance. It's not a lot of money we are talking about, but it is the pain in the a$$ factor. It's truly amazing that they could build something like this 70 years ago that still remains as a viable part, and the stuff produced today is total garbage = offshore. Wishing this kind of manufacturing would return to NA...

Last edited by Ziggster; 08-15-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, yes and no.
The push rod is in fact determined by the intake. However, FACTORY aluminum intakes required a push rod that was approximately 1" shorter than the FACTORY cast iron intake required.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I thought I would give an update, as I purchased two new ones from Speedway. One of for the cast I take and the other was for the aluminum intake. Here are the observations from the machinist:

1. Both were CAD plated which caused interference with the brass bushing I also purchased from Speedway. The machinist had to remove the plating for them to fit.
2. Both are warped along the axis? Guessing by 0.050" to 0.100". This is likely due to the fact that the "umbrella" was TIG welded around the complete rod circumference which is totally unnecessary. The original "umbrella" was just spot welded in one area.
3. The overall length of the new long version was actually longer (about 3/16") than the stock one I had. We didn't measure anything to see what was right/wrong. Also, the length below the the "umbrella" on the new long version was shorther than the stock version.

I'm very disappointed in the quality issues and will speak with Speedway when I have a chance. It's not a lot of money we are talking about, but it is the pain in the a$$ factor. It's truly amazing that they could build something like this 70 years that still remains as a viable part, and the stuff produced today is total garbage = offshore. Wishing this kind of manufacturing would return to NA...
I don't buy from Speedway because the Chinese folks they source their parts from are not in the least interested in authenticity, when needed, or fitment otherwise.

In the future look for genuine NOS or gently used Ford parts. A phone call to Third Gen Automotive would have yielded you a genuine Ford fuel pump push rod or placing a want ad here would have worked with great results. Speedway = Garbage.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It depends on the part, Speedway sells a lot of quality parts, but they also sell cheap repro parts as well (as do a lot of suppliers). You have to pay attention to what is what when purchasing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #15
Ziggster

I agree that not e everything they sell is garbage, and understand that it is almost impossible to monitor supplier quality on the scale they deal with. I'm hoping though they will take issues with qualities back to their suppliers as they arise like any good company.
It really is too bad that we were conned into believing moving our manufacturing offshore was going to somehow be better for us as consumers. In reality, quality went south, and millions of good paying jobs for the middle class were wiped out. Rant over...
Old 08-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I agree that not e everything they sell is garbage, and understand that it is almost impossible to monitor supplier quality on the scale they deal with. I'm hoping though they will take issues with qualities back to their suppliers as they arise like any good company.
It really is too bad that we were conned into believing moving our manufacturing offshore was going to somehow be better for us as consumers. In reality, quality went south, and millions of good paying jobs for the middle class were wiped out. Rant over...
It's the consumer that is dictating the quality, no supplier would be selling substandard parts if folks weren't buying them! But I'm a big made in America fan, it would be nice if the offshore products could be returned to U.S. production, along with the jobs!!! One day we are going to have to learn that price my not be as important as quality in the long run.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #17
37 Cab

My take is.. If my machinist told me the umbrella on my push rod was there to pump air.. I would worry I had the wrong machinist.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It's the consumer that is dictating the quality, no supplier would be selling substandard parts if folks weren't buying them! But I'm a big made in America fan, it would be nice if the offshore products could be returned to U.S. production, along with the jobs!!! One day we are going to have to learn that price my not be as important as quality in the long run.
Partially true. We are no longer capable of producing many parts due to environmental laws and lack of investment capital. The Chinese are very capable of producing anything we used to manufacture here, and with a quality that is very acceptable. There does exist a major language barrier, and the inch/meter conversions that in itself is enough to trash all kinds of products. You see that these two obstacles have been overcome for large quantity products, but for us hobbyists with small quantity needs, we'll have to continue modifying Chinese parts that don't fit.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #19
Tinker

The Chinese can make a part to exact requests. Not always requested and corners are curbed for manufacturing speed and cost. and sometimes you don't get what you order... sometimes the left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing also.

Not sure if there would be a issue with environmentally manufacturing these state side as it's really just bar stock milled. We mill barrels fast enough. But you would have to sell a ton of them to make it worth while.

Thanks for the update!!!
Luckily something like this part is very available as a bunch of guys have blocks cracked or other sitting there with them in them. There is probably a guy somewhere with a 5gal bucket full of them. Most likely they will fix correct, but not sure about true-ness to .050.

Think the umbrellas where pressed on originally, it would have been easier to press them in on a jig, then spot weld everyone produced. But I could be wrong (kube or others can comment on that).

19fordy was the only guy to answer your question on the purpose.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-16-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Very well said and very accurate.