Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
vincent

Default What gaskets for french Flatty?

I need gaskets for the complete engine but I have a french Flathead, 82mm bore and would like to fit Edelbrock aluminum heads. I am not sure which gasket set I should order that will fit the french block with the 59a oilpan and those aluminum heads. Do I need to modify some coolant passages on the heads or block ? Anything else that needs to be done to the engine?
What waterpumps should I use to fit the french motor into my 34 Sedan?
Thank you for your help!
Harty

Last edited by vincent; 10-30-2020 at 03:32 AM.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: What gaskets for french Flatty?

You'll need 8BA style head gaskets; the other gaskets to suit 59A. Probably best to run 59A style truck pumps, depending on if you're using front mount distributor. You'll need the engine mount spacers to fit them into the original 34 location
Assuming the Edelbrock heads you're running are 8BA style?
May need to machine that governor housing off the back of block to clear firewall?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Krylon32

You should be able to run early or late heads on the engine. I've seen them both ways. I would think you would order the gasket set for the heads you are using. If using the early heads you will have to block off a couple of holes in the block. You will need an early oil pan for a 59AB not an 8 BA. You will have to weld a cap on the vent at the front right corner of the pan. I am setting mine up with the 8BA type distributor and then you need the 49 to 52 truck pumps if you are using side mounts in your frame. I'm using early Navarro heads with a Navarro super dual intake, converted Chevy distributor and my own 409 water pump kit. I did machine the governor housing off the block.
There's lots of opinions on this engine and I'm sure they'll be heard.

Last edited by Krylon32; 10-29-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:48 AM   #4
vincent

Thanks to all for giving me advice!After some investigation I found out that the heads are 1127 Edelbrocks. So they should work okay on the Frenchy. Edelbrocks recommended gaskets for 1939-48 is Cometic #C5908-051 or C5108-51. For 1949 -53 they recommend Fel-Pro # 1055 and #1056.
So I beg again for some advice regarding the head gaskets - what should I order and who is the best supplier for those parts.
Thanks again, Harty
Old 10-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
Brian

Edelbrock 1127's are to fit the early engines. Therefore, order a BEST brand complete gasket set with graphtite head gaskets to suit a 39-48 engine. There is any number of suppliers, take your pick!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
vincent

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the suggestions. Have just ordered a BEST gasket set. Next step is to modify the french distributor for 12 Volts.
Harty
Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Brian

So, what modification is required to convert a dizzy to 12 jolts?
Is the French dizzy located in same/similar position to 8BA type? If so, you'll need, as Krylon said, 49-52 truck pumps.
Krylon also said to weld up the oil pan vent. If you do this you'll need to either make up some sorta PCV arrangement, or use 8BA system of crankcase ventilation. Or...leave that oil pan vent open, but somehow fill the ovoid hole in the block casting , located behind and to one side of the timing gear recess, otherwise it'll be a major oil leak....
The spacing of the engine mounts in a 34 is narrower than the pumps you'll be using, so spacers are required.
I don't know how well a French motor, equipped with the original pumps, fan etc will fit into the 34. There may be clearance issues with radiator, dunno. Do a mock up first.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Brian

Duplicate post
Old 10-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
vincent

The french dizzy works with 24 Volts as the engine was fitted to a SUMB. I plan on checking the max advance curve, modify if neccessary and will convert to a 12 V coil to make it work in the car. The french waterpumps outlets are way below the fastener platform so something different is needed there as well. Have to take measurements first to find out, what suits best. I will convert the engine breather to a reed valve, have done so on a lot of brit bikes with good success.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
The french dizzy works with 24 Volts as the engine was fitted to a SUMB. I plan on checking the max advance curve, modify if neccessary and will convert to a 12 V coil to make it work in the car. The french waterpumps outlets are way below the fastener platform so something different is needed there as well. Have to take measurements first to find out, what suits best. I will convert the engine breather to a reed valve, have done so on a lot of brit bikes with good success.
I would be interested in knowing what you convert on a distributor to accommodate different voltages? Is there something different about these units that require that and if so what? Most distributors could care less what voltage or polarity is used. Or, are you saying you are just changing the coil out?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
vincent

Yes, changing the coil/condensor inside the housing to a 12 V unit as I like the looks of that thing
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #12
vincent

So I am almost ready to rebuild the french flatty for installation in the 34 Ford. As I was told to look for the 49-52 waterpumps to make it possible at all, I saw these: 8BA-8501SPR at the van Pelt website. Are they correct for my project?
Thanks in advance!
Harty