Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Bubba

Default 39 Ford Temperature Gauge not working

My temperature gauge is the original Type don't know if it's original not working. Do I need to just get a new hang on gauge and be done with it or can these be repaired, if so who duz it. Quite a bit of the car is original Volt gauge and oil gauge work but the engine was changed before me, Was told fire truck 59 engine with T on head.
Whats the best way to go Thanks Bubba
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Dee

Default Re: 39 Ford Temperature Gauge not working

First you should check the gauge by shorting out the sender wire. With the ignition on the gauge should go full scale to "cold". If this happens then your problem is the sender(s). New ones are available thru Mac's.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
ford38v8

Dee, the '39 had mechanical, not electric.

Bubba, the original fluid used back in the day is no longer avasilable due to EPA restrictions. There was a repair available some time ago, but the color was weird at first, then bleached to clear anyway. Best to find a new or good used unit, but bite your lip when you pull out your wallet.

If you find one at a swap meet, you can check the temp in a cup of hot coffee.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Bubba

Thanks I know it has ben a while that I have not seen anything on this but don't look on here often.
I knew I was in trouble when I saw that sone one was looking at one they wonted $400.and didn't know if it worked.

Thanks Dee that may help others and me later on.

Bubba
Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
ford38v8

Bubba, just a couple more tips for when you find one and don't know if it works:

There should be no marks of repair, no serious kinks in the capillary tube, and only minor dents on the brass bulb. The fluid will initially be barely visible, and with a little heat to the bulb, show in the glass as a rich dark blood color, never
anything else.

As i said, a hot cup of coffee will prove the rise in temperature of a bulb. I have also used a match, which could get you hit in the head if you tried that with values today. Upon getting it home, a pot of boiling water on the stove will confirm the calibration: There is a scratch on the glass at the 212º F level. Upon installation, the glass is adjustable up and down to align with the temperature mark on the face plate of the gauge.

Stored incorrectly, a unit can easily have trapped bubbles, which will throw the reading way off. As the air is normally above the fluid, you can see how correct storage is important. Heat and cold cycles over time will correct this condition, and a faster method by mounting the unit solidly on a pole, then swinging it round and round rapidly with the brass bulb away from you. This is the kind of unit you can get a better price on!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
51504bat

Check with these guys about rebuilding your gauge. Don't know what they use to recharge the tube but they can do it. I was quoted $194.00 in November to redo the temp gauge on my '39 p/u and that included return shipping and handling and a lifetime warranty.

WILLIAMSON'S INSTRUMENTS, INC.
2018 E. Front Ave.
Chester, Arkansas 72934
479-369-2551
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Bubba

I called Williamson's he said about TWO WEEKS and as 50504batsaid life time warranty

Bubba