Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
JoeBauer

Default TT build

I am building a TT and would like to post pictures, descriptions, and get advice along the way. I am not a mechanic and I am fairly new to T's, so this is basically a learning experience for me. This seems like a good forum to post it because with my thread on firing order I found friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people read this forum.

I started the description and pictures on another forum where the T people were friendly and knowledgeable, but it devolved as posters felt they had to inject their religious and political views. Back in my day people were not rude enough to try to force their beliefs on others, those times seem to have changed to where you have to decide if someone's religious and political beliefs jive with one's own in order to determine if you like them or not. Be that as it may, I left that forum, I am building a TT not discussing religion and politics. Please, if you have some religious and political observations do not post them here.

I have three T's! One is a TT with a top speed of 15 mph, converted to a limo, and I have given hundreds of rides in it. Another is a speedster which will run 60 mph, has 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes, and is my daily driver is the temp is over 40* and it is not raining.

The third is the subject of this thread. It is a TT which I took down to the chassis. I intend to build it into a reliable, road worthy vehicle which will run 45 mph safely.

So far I have painted the chassis, installed a rebuilt Ruckstell rear with 5:1 gears, installed a Warford, and got the engine in place. The engine had been rebuilt a while ago, I have installed a Z head, a high volume intake with a Stromberg OF, coilbox with rebuilt coils 3 starters (one at a time), a generator grounded so it won't burn up, and an I Timer.

It runs very well, I have a hose set up to flow water through the head while it is running and I have run it about thirty minutes, mostly while adjusting the carburetor and timer.

there is much left to do, some days I get no time to work on it, but it is a learning experience with no set time to finish. At my present rate it will probably take a couple of years!

The next project is to install a magneto accessory oiler. Ford had an internal oiler with a funnel to catch oil and pipe it to the front of the engine. This can get blocked so accessory oilers were very popular, there were many varieties. The magneto accessory oiler replaces the magneto post with a combination magneto post and oil pick up. The oil is directed to the front of the engine externally. I will post pictures as I go along.

The following pictures show where the build is now. There is so much to do that I find it easy to get confused and overwhelmed. I just try to do a little at a time, right now I am trying to get everything exactly right on the engine before I put in the firewall and radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06124.JPG (153.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06125.JPG (143.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06126.JPG (142.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06127.JPG (148.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06128.JPG (146.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06129.JPG (134.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06132.JPG (149.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06133.JPG (143.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06135.JPG (137.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06131.JPG (147.7 KB, 31 views)
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
JoeBauer

Default Re: TT build

This is a fairly easy install, especially if the engine is accessible just sitting on the frame. The magneto is removed and one with a hole for the pick up replaces it. Then a bolt from the front of the engine is removed and replaced with a hollow bolt that accepts the copper tubing that carries the oil. the copper tubing has to be bent appropriately and I sure wish I had a tubing bender! but I got it by hand.

This engine has no magneto, it has slingers for the oil, so it should move a lot of oil. I haven't tested it yet, that is next, then if it does move a lot of oil I will connect the tubing to the discharge point in the front of the engine.

The only problem I had was that the magneto pick up did not have the outlet pointed correctly when I tightened it up. I had to add a layer of gasket material and Permatex black to make it correct.

And I do not understand why they use an elbow at the magneto pick up, wouldn't a straight fitting move more oil due to less resistance?

I hope to find time to test it with the engine running later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06136.JPG (128.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06137.JPG (149.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06138.JPG (144.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06139.JPG (136.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06140.JPG (150.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06141.JPG (139.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06142.JPG (143.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06143.JPG (149.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06144.JPG (145.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06145.JPG (141.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
JoeBauer

She started and ran no problem. I ran her about a minute at 1000 - 1500 rpm and no oil came out the tubing. So I removed the tubing and tried again. No oil comes out of the magneto pick up.

This is an easy installation, I didn't miss any steps, I don't understand why it does not work.

One step forward, two steps back.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
fordf1trucknut

May it only gets oil with the original mag in place??
30 coupe (traditional hotrod)
31 pickup
38 standard
42 gpw (ford army jeep)
48 f-1
52 f-1
52 f-1 4x4
55 chevy
55 m38a1
56 Victoria
68 bronco
70 land rover
72 club wagon
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Jack Innes

You stated that the mag (magnets) were removed & slingers installed. This should move a lot of oil. Try removing the mag plug entirely & run the engine - oil should come out the open hole profusely. Maybe the new mag plug is defective or the elbow is going in too far & blocking the oil passage??
Old 10-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
tmodelman

Try to re-position that magneto plug. You really need to have the outlet point exactly to the driver's side, not rearward as it is now.

The oil is slung up and in concentric with the hogshead, so that oil is throwing itself to the left......

On my '27 used a straight exten. to clear the brackets that go from the hogshead to the frame. Then a elbow to fit the tube down the side of the motor to the front plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26 oil line on hogshead 2.jpg (76.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808 (600x403).jpg (190.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3044 (1280x1098) (2) (760x652) (740x635).jpg (42.5 KB, 24 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:52 AM   #7
JoeBauer

Reading y'alls recommendations and giving it more thought, I think I know the problem. Oil runs along the top of the hogshead from right to left basically like a small river. A scoop would help catch this flow and direct it into the magneto. But look at the picture below. Not only is there no scoop, but the threads on the replacement post extend 1/4" into the hogshead. This would act as a dam so the only oil picked up by the replacement post would be that shot directly into it from below.

So I could cut the bottom off the replacement post to match the original in length.

Or I could add washers so the replacement post only goes as deep as the original.

Or... I could cut the threads off the righthand side of the replacement post, leaving the left to act as a dam.

I think we have found the problem and solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06136.JPG (128.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
dumb person

Mine doesn't pick up much oil cold. But when warm, it flows an annoying amount if you have a leak.

I think you'll find a way to make it work better

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
JoeBauer

Fire wall in.
Water pump in.

I haven't found much time to work on it, but the radiator should go in soon. Then I can listen to her run anytime!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
JoeBauer

Another attempt to post pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06163.JPG (155.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06165.JPG (149.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #11
JoeBauer

The steering box mounts on the bottom of the frame, but also has a bolt that goes through the mount, through a wood block, and then through the side of the frame. I think the wood block helps keep the box from twisting.

Does anyone have the part number for the key that goes in the end of the steering and the arm that attaches to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06167.JPG (144.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06168.JPG (143.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
JoeBauer

Wood block for steering box installed, no problem!

The radiator, sheesh. The frame had a couple of bolts in the frame for mounting the radiator. They fed through the bottom and would not be easy to remove, so I decided to leave them in place and use them to bolt down the lower cover, radiator, and shroud. Big mistake, they were too short. I wrestled with all the parts and pieces including the radiator hose and top support rod from the firewall to the top of the radiator. What an aggravation. After two hours of trying to figure the problem out I removed everything and got a couple of studs from another radiator removal. The correct studs are 1 1/2" longer than the bolts shown. Using the correct studs the installation took about 15 minutes.

Hopefully I will find time tomorrow to add coolant and fire her up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06182.JPG (148.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06178.JPG (141.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06183.JPG (148.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06185.JPG (144.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
JoeBauer

The firewall and radiator are in, no leaks! It runs very smoothly with the Stromberg OF now that I have it adjusted.

I am proud of the engine, it looks good with oversize intake, OF, and Z head. the coils are recently rebuilt and it has an I Timer. the water pump is necessary for this particular radiator which does not cool well.

Mechanically I am shooting for a very sound vehicle, cosmetically is a different story. Notice the finish on the firewall, radiator shroud, and steering. They were rough and I put clear coat on them. Ellie Mae is to be a Beverly Hillbilles vehicle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06197.JPG (149.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06198.JPG (145.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06199.JPG (142.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06200.JPG (149.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06201.JPG (141.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #14
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBauer View Post
Does anyone have the part number for the key that goes in the end of the steering and the arm that attaches to it?

"T-3548" is the part number if snyders is to be believed.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/pitman-arm-key

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote