Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: Radiator woes

No, I haven't but $930 seems a little steep. Of course I live in the semi rural South where we don't have nearly the degree of regulation and taxes you guys on the west coast have.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #22
Gene F

Every time I hire work done it seems it's wrong, and I have to take it back / live with it/ or fix it myself. Not to mention the cost always seems to be a about tripple what I think it should be.
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #23
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
No, I haven't but $930 seems a little steep. Of course I live in the semi rural South where we don't have nearly the degree of regulation and taxes you guys on the west coast have.

Walker radiator closed up shop but everything but the name was purchased by Al Johnson in Gasden Alabama which I believe qualifies as the South but can't confirm semi rural. This is from a thread over on the HAMB.

Alan Johnson has purchased all of Walkers equipment and moved it to Gasden Al. It will be named Johnson's Radiator Works as Vernon will not let him use the Walker name at this time. Alan is still trying to get him to let him use the Walker name. Alan hopes to be building radiators late this year.

Once Johnson Radiator is up and running you'll have a quality radiator source right in your back yard.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #24
Dobie Gillis

Excellent!
Old 07-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #25
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Excellent!

Keep in mind that a new Walker, I mean Johnson will cost about the same as a Brassworks from CA but shipping will be cheaper. There is a chance that Johnson can repair what you have. Might be worth a phone call. Regardless, having heating issues is a PITA. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #26
51504bat

I'm in the process of installing a 302/AOD combo in my '54 Ranch Wagon. I needed a radiator with a transmission cooler in get things sorted. I bought an aluminum one from Auto City Classics. No, not USA made but supposedly has a "Lifetime Warranty" for what ever good that will be. Anyway its in and fits with only minor tweaking to the brackets the radiator bolts to. If after the all is said and done it does the job, great. If not then its off to Paso Robles, CA and Brassworks for a new radiator. Just another option for your '55. $250.00 with tax. delivered.

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1954...r-sl-130-a-at/
Old 07-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #27
Dobie Gillis

My rad is not leaking at the moment but has a previous repair where the fan got into it because of worn out motor mounts, so it's on the to do list. There are no radiator shops near me except for Nashville, and I'd ruther take an a$$ whoopin' than go there, the traffic is a total clusterf*ck. There are a couple in Huntsville, Al which is closer to me than Gadsden. Plus, AL sales tax is about 1/2 of TN's. I had my bumpers replated there and saved a minor pile.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #28
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I'm in the process of installing a 302/AOD combo in my '54 Ranch Wagon. I needed a radiator with a transmission cooler in get things sorted. I bought an aluminum one from Auto City Classics. No, not USA made but supposedly has a "Lifetime Warranty" for what ever good that will be. Anyway its in and fits with only minor tweaking to the brackets the radiator bolts to. If after the all is said and done it does the job, great. If not then its off to Paso Robles, CA and Brassworks for a new radiator. Just another option for your '55. $250.00 with tax. delivered.

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1954...r-sl-130-a-at/
Sounds like my Walker radiators 10-year warranties have ran out now....LOL Guess you are no worse off with the ones Auto City sells. If it leaks in 90 days they certainly will ship you a new one.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #29
Gene F

10-years.