Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
w.michael

Default Patina paint and Gibbs oil finish OT

I'm sorry this is a little off-topic, but I think the same answers may apply to a Model A finish. I am actually working on a '55 with original paint, but a good bit of surface rust--not a lot of paint left, but still some color visible.

How do I apply an oil finish to this old paint?
How much prep work, if any, should I do?
What oil do you actually use?
How do you apply the oil?
How often do you have to re-apply?
If I don't like the result, and decide to repaint, have I done anything to make the repaint more difficult or more expensive?
Does this become a dust magnet that can't be kept clean?

Clear coating has been suggested by others, but the most recent car I saw with clear coat over original paint did not have the look I want.

This has been discussed in the past, but a search does not really produce a lot of details or answer my questions about how to do this.

Thanks for your suggestions.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Dave in MN

Default Re: Patina paint and Gibbs oil finish OT

About two years ago, I had a '29 closed cab pickup in my shop to complete some mechanical repairs. The paint was very old, some areas totally missing but it looked awesome, a real survivor. The owner was considering a full sheetmetal and paint restoration. We discussed if he would be comfortable letting the grandkids crawl all over it if it had a $8,000 paint job? He asked me what I would do so I showed him what paste wax would do to the finish. He liked the patina it brought out so we did the entire truck. Sorry I don't have any photos. Try a small area, you may like it.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Dave in MN;1680101]About two years ago, I had a '29 closed cab pickup in my shop to complete some mechanical repairs. The paint was very old, some areas totally missing but it looked awesome, a real survivor. The owner was considering a full sheetmetal and paint restoration. We discussed if he would be comfortable letting the grandkids crawl all over it if it had a $8,000 paint job? He asked me what I would do so I showed him what paste wax would do to the finish. He liked the patina it brought out so we did the entire truck. Sorry I don't have any photos. Try a small area, you may like it.[/QUOTE
Any pep work needed before applying? Especially rust areas?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Dave in MN

I used a medium to fine 3-M scuff pad on two rusty areas and then a good wash with a strong detergent to de-grease. The wax worked its way into and on all surfaces. There were not any really heavily rusted surfaces. I bought a fresh can of paste wax when we did the body and then gave him the can to keep it up. I don't recall what it was for sure but it likely was Turtle Wax. I believe I used an old can of Johnson's Paste wax when I showed him the finish. The intention of applying the wax was to help preserve the body from deterioration but also give it a "buttery shine" finish.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

If you can send pictures of what you are working with, that would help determine what might be appropriate.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Wick

We sprayed a Model A down with Gibbs about 7 years ago. Car is kept in a far corner of a building. Looks like we sprayed it yesterday. Great Stuff!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
w.michael

Wick,

I do have some rusty areas with only a little paint left. How would you prep these areas, if at all?

Dick,

I'm not smart enough to post pictures. I did post a few in the past, but it took me about three hours and fifteen phone calls to my college student, who quickly lost patience with me. I don't think I'm going to try again.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I used Turtle Polishing Compound and Turtle Wax on my 1950 Studebaker Land Cruiser. The first picture is when I polished everything except the hood and front fenders. You can see the light coat of rust on the hood. There is almost no paint left on the top of the hood and tops of the front fenders. I used the polishing compound on the front clip the next day and took more pictures. You can see what an improvement it made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (84.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (76.7 KB, 149 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Sorry to hi-jack the post a little.

I have some rougher rust , a couple of spots almost have small dime size patches of rust through, want to preserve not repair. Am concerned if using paste wax will turn whitish since not able to polish the paste off properly.

Any one use a clear wax, stuff that is spray on or water soluble during application?

I believe turtle wax makes one you can use a garden hose sprayer or pump sprayer.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
Brian in Wheeling

In the old days, guys used to wipe the finish with a rag and kerosene....was not very long lasting. Why not use some satin clear varnish thinned out a bit? I have seen some which have been sprayed with flattened clear coat and I like the look of that.
Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post

Dick,

I'm not smart enough to post pictures. I did post a few in the past, but it took me about three hours and fifteen phone calls to my college student, who quickly lost patience with me. I don't think I'm going to try again.

W. Michael
If you email them to me, I'll post them for you.

[email protected]
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
noboD

I have a different make 100 year old car with SOME original paint. It is just resting for now in the corner. About every two years it gets a shot of Gibbs, no sanding, etc. It creeps into nooks and crannies. In about a week it "dries", sort of and maintains that finish until it gets sprayed again. Gibbs can be painted over, unlike most junk with silicone. Maybe half a can will cover everything, top and bottom.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
I have a different make 100 year old car with SOME original paint. It is just resting for now in the corner. About every two years it gets a shot of Gibbs, no sanding, etc. It creeps into nooks and crannies. In about a week it "dries", sort of and maintains that finish until it gets sprayed again. Gibbs can be painted over, unlike most junk with silicone. Maybe half a can will cover everything, top and bottom.

Any chance you can post a close Pic of the treated surface? Both paint and rusty area.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
eagle

I would say buy a can of Gibbs and try it, its GOOD stuff to have in the shop anyway. I use it for a lot of things in the shop.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #15
noboD

Nope, new confuser doesn't like my camera. As was stated it looks damp for about a year or so. When it looks too dry I shoot it again. Try a small area and watch it, A small amount will creep and cover a big area.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
Nope, new confuser doesn't like my camera. As was stated it looks damp for about a year or so. When it looks too dry I shoot it again. Try a small area and watch it, A small amount will creep and cover a big area.

That's OK.

The reason I asked is my A is 90 minutes away from me, had to have it towed to a repair/restoration shop, will be there until next spring. It developed an engine knock. I do not have; the tools, a place to do major work, and the skills. So will try this next spring. I am not sure I like the looks of rust if it was to turn a deep dark brown or grey/black. Like I have seen when people clear coat. Personal preference.

Thanks and really appreciate the info, and the warning about creeping.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
nhusa

I use WD-40 on my Rusty T and A.
WD = water displacement

I figure that it soakes into the rust, leaves an oily residue, and continues to protect the vehicles.
A well informaned co-worker told me that the Military found that WD-40 outperformed all the expensive anti-rust stuff.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
1crosscut

Michael I used the Johnson's Paste wax on my 29 AA. It was mostly surface rust with some original paint. Since mine was mostly surface rust I used a 4" fine grade wire wheel on an electric drill to buff the rust. After doing that I went over it with a fine grade steel wool. Wiped it clean with a wet cloth and then applied the paste wax after letting it sit in the sun to warm the metal. The paste wax will melt into the surface rather nicely when warm. You can heat your metal with a hot air gun or such if the weather doesn't cooperate. Nice thing about the paste wax is it doesn't leave the white residue in the nooks and crannies like automotive waxes will.
After rubbing a coat in let it "flash off" for a few minutes then buff it out with a cotton rag or such. Gives a nice luster without any oily feel or residue. Very easy to maintain.
Sounds like on your car you have a lot of paint so just the steel wool or a buffing/polishing compound would work well to prep it for the paste wax.
Take a look at some of the pictures on my home page. They show the truck before, during and after the wax treatment.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
daveymc29

Just wondering, What exactly is "Gibbs" and where would one buy it?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Just wondering, What exactly is "Gibbs" and where would one buy it?
===============================================

Here is a link below to Gibbs Oil Co.
I think it is the one you are looking for.

http://gibbsoil.com/

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote