Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Shortdog

Default Has anyone used one of these?

Has anyone used one of these when painting your car. If you did how did you like it.
Eastwood Contour SCT™ - Surface Conditioning Tool
Item #21145 Brand: Eastwood Only $199.99

Quickly remove paint & rust or surface condition metal

Thanks Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sander.jpg (14.1 KB, 159 views)

Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Shortdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Shortdog

Default Re: Has anyone used one of these?

Looks like no one has use one. Anyone think it will work and is it worth the price?
Johnny

Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
30 Tudor and Coupe

I have a similar tool but have not used it much. It does well at removing paint and primer. It says it works well at removing undercoating but I have not tried it. It will remove some surface rust but does not seem to get the rust from pits. It seems some type of blasting works best for that.
30 Tudor and Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
zzlegend

Eastwood makes it look easy in there video. It might just do the job. I was thinking about one my self. I have a 57 olds I have to start on soon.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
old car guy

I also have a similar tool and it will make short work of anything in its path. Draw back will not get down in the metal if its pitted and some of the discs needed for the replacement get a little costly. Never tried it on undercoating but it will scorch the paint or surface rust off in a hurry. What's the cost of this particular tool.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Shortdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
I also have a similar tool and it will make short work of anything in its path. Draw back will not get down in the metal if its pitted and some of the discs needed for the replacement get a little costly. Never tried it on undercoating but it will scorch the paint or surface rust off in a hurry. What's the cost of this particular tool.
The tool is $199. Abrasive Drum is to be used for heavy paint or rust removal applications. Each drum is 4 inches wide and 4 inches in diameter sells for $59.95

Finishing Drum is to be used in light paint or rust removal applications or when finish surfacing bare metal. They sell for $19.95.

I am not trying to sell these. I am trying to find out if they are worth the money that they cost. If it does what they say it does, I would like to buy one.

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalo...p/2/p21145.jpg

Thanks Johnny

Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
ian Simpson

I did a few frame-offs when I was younger and fitter. I used 5 inch sanding disks on a rubber backing pad. They even got down into the pits. However they can make the metal dangerously thin if wrongly used, but no worse than media blasting. I liked the wide range of available grits and the feeling of closer control v. the blasting.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #8
Big hammer

I spent a week part time on my A frame and only got the outside done on the long sides.
If you think of all the nocks and crevices on a frame,manual labor isn't the smart way.
I then took my frame to a metal striper, when I went to pick it up I walk right past it, thinking someone had a nice new looking frame! It was mine, couldn't believe it, I could see lines in the metal from when ford formed it! The model A frames are riveted together so my vote is for have it dipped, the best 60$ I ever spent(back then). What do you think I did for the body? This dipping process removes all the rust! and they coat the metal with a phosphate something to protect from rust. My car sould last another 80+ years! I did bead blast rear end housings, front axle, transmission housing, etc at work on lunch hours because it was free! Just sharing my experiences, have fun preserving history :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
wrndln

Careful sandblasting works very well for me. It gets in to nooks and crannies where sanders and other tools including the Eastwood tool above can't. I just use lower pressure and not direct perpendicular blasting on the sheetmetal to be cleaned. I have sandblasted 3 model A bodies, including the hoods and have NEVER seen any distortion or warping. If sandblasting is done with a large nozzle and high pressure, it can ruin sheetmetal. I would forget the Eastwood tool and invest in a pressure sandblaster. A pressure blaster requires a decent air compressor to feed it.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Rusty. I've never had a problem with warped metal while sandblasting.
It also leaves the metal with a nice grip surface for paint.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

It looks like a belt sander without the front pulley. I bought my sanders each for about $10. Belt's are usually about a buck apiece. Put the $199 toward the paint you'll have to buy.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote