Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
zzlegend

Default Re: Things to do after the wife leaves the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy View Post
while she is out..... Dish washers are also indispensible.

Roly
lol
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
CarlG

Washing out a torque tube in the bathtub???
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Montanafordman, what is that gasket underneath the oil return, is it copper? Iv'e never seen that before.
I just used some copper coat gasket sealer before I mounted the return pipe.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #24
1st_model_a

Brother-in-law "borrowed" wife's electric knife for a quick job thinking he'd sneak it back in the drawer when she wasn't looking. Things came up and he forgot. Long time goes by .... Thanksgiving turkey comes out of the oven and his wife can't find her knife. Oh the look on his face when he remembered where the knife was and the look on her face when she saw his face.
1st_model_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
My mother could smell (or at least said she did) anything and everything that my dad & I had going on out in the garage -- even if there wasn't anything.
Women can detect a different smell from a man when he's LYING!! Bill W.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Robert

While she was out,
I ran our new dishwasher through two POT SCRUBBER cycles...in order to 'vat' 6 Jaguar con rods. The results were spectacular...for the rods. The dishwasher?!?!...looming large was the spector of having to give an intellegent answer to,"!@#$ You did !@#$ what"? (I was told that she never cursed until she met me)...SO...I cleaned the dishwasher with chassis acid. This brilliant action upgraded its appearance to one that mirrored the shop sink where I was employed.
Fast forward-8 weeks. I purchased another dishwasher.
Fast forward-8 years. 'SHE' became my ex...HMMM...what could have her reason/s? Weren't the gifts of 2 NEW dishwashers within a year proof of my kind and generous nature? HELL...I bought her a new lawn mower on her 30th birthday... and took her to Hershey and Carlisle every year of our marriage. I surprised her with an all inclusive trip to Walmart on the day that our septic tank was pumped...and I ALWAYS made sure that she had at least 1.5 parts cars for each car that she had. Everything works for the best...my new 'wifey' has no interest in dishwashers...she divides her attention between ME and 6 basset hounds...AIN'T I LUCKY????
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
quickchange

Robert. You have to train them from day one, Most inportant, Love honour & abay thats what the minister said & she said yes, 45 years later its not wise to remind her, I heat my alloy quickchanges up in the oven , nice fan controled heat, Yes dear it does smell like the burnt sausage rolls you used to make , sorry about that. Would you like to go out for a meal??they make wounderful fragrances now days, can hide most smells. Then i tried curing 1st coat of paint when restoring lience plates, that was the down fall, Now have a new oven. If i get 45 years out of the next one ,figure i got my monies worth. Good women are hard to find,
quickchange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
INVISIBLEKID

The parts came out nice! But damn! Some of you guy's got balls! Just an fyi- A LOT of people tend to switch to gas ovens,and just toss the electric ones. Hint? Ever powdercoat at home? An oven for free to pollute as you wish? They're out there curbside all day long,and you can do what you want,and it saves a TON of cash! maybe a dishwasher too.... But then again-do you really want an extra kitchen in the shop?
INVISIBLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
Ron in Quincy

Back in the early 70's I was restoring a 28 Closed Cab Pickup. I was down to finishing the bed wood, did not want to paint, decided to stain and finish with Spar Varnish. Concerned about dust, I waited until the wife left for work, brought the stained wood into the house, set up and painted one a coat. Before the wife got home, moved the wood into the garage. The next day I repeated the process with a second coat of Spar Varnish and again moved it out of the house before the wife got home. She was never the wiser. I do not believe I ever told her the inside of the house was a paint booth.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Skeezixx

I use my oven for curing adhesives, paint, and recently in conjunction with modifying the vacuum cleaner, for vacuum forming a sheet of celluloid (foul smelling even before entering the oven).
I spray, brush and wipe all sorts of paint and stains inside the house at my leisure. Any room can become a parts storage warehouse at any time. My refrigerator serves to chill polishes and such.

I always found my kitchen necessary as a Lab/Workshop. I never found it useful or cost effective to have a wife.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Wick

I use a oven outside...no wife as of today...could change,my New lady friend has 2 ovens in the house,and a empty bay in the garage. She keeps cold beer in the fridge for me,and I taught her how to frost beer mugs and pour beer. When she starts paying for my model A parts..Ill just have to keep her.

That manifold turned out great!
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
TD

I washed out my rear axle tubes in the bath tub - should I mention the towels in the kitchen with black stains (ouch)? Ever been asked while watching TV "What's that smell"!

Last edited by TD; 05-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
Flathead

"What's that smell?" If I had a nickel for every time.............well you know.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Robert. You have to train them from day one, Most inportant, Love honour & abay thats what the minister said & she said yes, 45 years later its not wise to remind her, I heat my alloy quickchanges up in the oven , nice fan controled heat, Yes dear it does smell like the burnt sausage rolls you used to make , sorry about that. Would you like to go out for a meal??they make wounderful fragrances now days, can hide most smells. Then i tried curing 1st coat of paint when restoring lience plates, that was the down fall, Now have a new oven. If i get 45 years out of the next one ,figure i got my monies worth. Good women are hard to find,
Quickchange, I hope you saved the old oven just for cooking car parts!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
roccaas

Don't mention to her that you're going to a "T and A Show and swap meet"; she probably wouldn't understand, and definitely wouldn't be happy!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
vonpahrkur

i did a 94 carb base in the oven, worked out nice, spilled gas on the base and paint held up...
vonpahrkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #37
ursus

Hey! Hey! Hey, now! Let's not give away any secrets here - my wife might be reading this site.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #38
ivoryjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
I have new manifolds for my Model A, and went with the cast blast hi temp paint. Directions say to bake at 400* + to cure paint. I figured this was one of those scenarios where its better to ask forgiveness than permission!

1. vent fan on hi

2. bake at 400*+ right when she leaves for work.... with any luck she'll never know unless I tell her! (which is likely).

The progress continues! I'm getting pretty antsy to get my coupe back on the road!!

Has anyone said what the ultimate temp is for curing hi-temp paint? 400+ seems sort of open to interpretation. Has any one tried the oven on "clean" mode? I think the oven probably goes up to 5 or 600 degrees to turn everything to white dust like it does. I would guess a freshly sandblasted piece of cast iron or a cleaned up used manifold would make a good test subject without costing too much.

Inquiring minds want to know. Please use your stove...not mine...until this is perfected.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #39
Brentwood Bob

So this manifold paint doesn't stick to aluminum foil. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #40
492Awinner

Hey hey boys you're right a wife is reading this please enclose your addresses! My husband when testing floats for carbs also uses my pots and pans and stove to boil them but my oven? That would be the end of his pies/breads/and cookies. But I guess a frosty mug with a cold beer would satisfy most but not my husband! Thanks for the laughs lucky for us there is a power coater close by. But I have to admit I sure do like the looks of it yummy manifold over noodles.

Field Food Editor for a Cooking Magazine.
492Awinner is offline   Reply With Quote