Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #61
mot

Default Re: American pickers

call Vern Marriott in Auburn Ca
hes the one who told me,hes the one who was on the show
Ive been to his house many times and waded through his horde
i just asked him if it was fake or real
he and his brother both said it was real ,nothing staged beforehand,just a lot edited out
they showed up at 8AM and set up the cameras and started wading though his stuff
he wouldnt sell any of his toys but everything else was for sale at Verns price
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #62
Straightpipes

I'd be happy to see them here. I'd sell them a car. They could give me about twice what they are worth....... 28' Chevy a 29 Durant. Or, I've got a half dozen Fordson tractors which they should own.
If you see it on TV it is most likely BS. Now it's all reality shows or political lies.
Pawn stars has to take the crown for absolute stupidity........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #63
Terry, NJ

With Pawn Stars or American Pickers, you soon get the idea that they are contemptuos of the people they buy from, especially Pawn Stars and Hardcore Pawn (set in Detroit). I know that "Pickers" have their expenses. Back in the 70s I did it myself. It's a bragging thing! I was taught early not to brag about how much money you made on a deal. People don't like to hear it. All the "we really like yous" and waving goodbyes don't make up for the fact that that they will get a better price for the item than the sellers would. I know that they provide a much needed buyer for items that many sellers can't sell locally, but the bragging really rankles me sometimes.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #64
cee eee

Angry Re: American pickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
watch out now.....ain't no "rubes and push overs" in Texas...and none in Alabama either....
No stupid pushovers in Mid. Tn. either
cee eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #65
INVISIBLEKID

Just re- visiting..... And a lil poll for ya all....LOL Would you let them "pick" at your place? I'm holding on to my seat now!
INVISIBLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #66
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

My question is "why would anyone go to a pawn shop to sell something expecting to get full value for it?" I certainly know I never did a paint job on a car for my cost. Hard to keep the doors open that way.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #67
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Daughter born before their wedding. Goes to show that the old saying is right. "First child can come anytime it's the second one that takes 9 months" In saying that I was not saying anything bad about them just tying to be a little funny.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #68
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Pawn Shop = Desperate
Only the desperate sell to a pawn shop ! They should be called The Down and Out Shop !
Wayne
In my opinion most sell so that can get a few more plays in on the Black Jack or Craps tables. It is stunning to see the number of pawn shops in Reno and Las Vegas. What gets me are the clowns that come in and say they are not sure what their piece is worth-are you kidding me? A few searches on the web should certainly give them some idea of what they have.

Last edited by Steves46; 02-11-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Steves46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #69
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
If these programs entertain you that's good ---- however if you believe what you are seeing then you have a problem.
Right on my friend. You couldn't be more right !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #70
2935ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
My question is "why would anyone go to a pawn shop to sell something expecting to get full value for it?" I certainly know I never did a paint job on a car for my cost. Hard to keep the doors open that way.
Because they get their 10 minutes of fame being on TV.....and to some people, that means something!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #71
Sgtdoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
i talked to my friend Vern Mariott from Auburn Ca
he was on their show recently and they picked his hoard
i asked them if it was staged or prebought
he told me no

Ironically, the year before Vern, they picked Deb and Al Casner. They had the engine that was the same type as the Spruce Goose and they started the giant motor. Vern lives on Dry Creek and Deb/Al have a shop on Hwy 49, which the two are only about a mile apart as the crow flies.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/article...star-treatment

It should come as no surprise, that the driving part is completely stage and the path is completely wrong. Knowing where they filmed (about a mile from my house), the Mike part of the conversation was them on Dry Creek passing Tractor Suppy. The Frank part of the conversation was filmed on an early portion of the street. Then after they got the call from Danni, they show them driving on 2 lane freeway in the country, but it's not Auburn...and likely not even California.

Regards,
Doogie

Last edited by Sgtdoogie; 09-28-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Sgtdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #72
Sgtdoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
While it's obvious that these two clowns are as phony as the buys they make what is interesting is seeing all the American collectors/hoarders and their collections. Makes me not feel so isolated.

If you read about them on Reddit, there was an AMA with one of the show's creators.

Mike is the real picker. He has the store in Iowa (and now Nashville). He actually does collect, and he actually buys and sells stuff. He does know a lot about items, particularly bicycles and motorcycles. He came up with the idea with another guy(Sorry, I don't remember his name, or the Reddit link..just going off memory). I worked for NISSAN in 2013, and I went to the Nashville show. Yes..the store had a metric ton of t-shirts, coffee cups, etc. However the store was packed with items that I had actually seen on the show. Were they cheap? Uh no. But there were many many items that were legitimately from the show. When I was there, they had just picked Rick Neilsen from Cheap Trick, and the guitar from the show, was in the store..just like they said they were going to do on the show.

Frank is Mike's friend since Middle School. Frank was in the fire fighting field, if I remember, training or something. So he likes fire fighting memorabilia (That was on an episode). Anything he buys on the show, he's generally just buying it for his collection. They talk about pricing, but he's likely not selling it. Some of those items, might just be for Mike as well.

Danni D is a dancer by trade. There are many videos on YouTube of her burlesque dancing. She does not "work" for Mike in the Iowa store, she is a character on the show. She doesn't find picks, or do any of that stuff for real.

The producers of the show find the picks and go there in advance. Now I've heard from people here in town, that Mike really likes Auburn...which is why I think they've filmed here 3 times. The producers go to the site and find the items and go through everything in advance. This shouldn't surprise anyone. They can't afford to show up to film a TV show, without vetting the items and know if they will have anything worth filming. The free styling? is all done in advance as well.

They put all the stuff in their truck, drive away...and then it all comes out and goes in the real truck. There's often the usual on a show....lots of staff, workers, catering, etc. So it's clearly not just those 2 guys and 1 camera guy. It's a TV show....so they are going reshoot things, etc...make sure the dialog, lighting, etc is correct.

I think you would have to be very naive to think the show is "real", as in how it is presented on TV. But none of that takes away from the fact that the people they put on the show are very real, their stories are their stories and the items are part of history and Americana.

Does the fact Danni D really doesn't work for Mike in the shop pouring over leads really matter or lesson the history presented on the show?

Regards,
Doogie

Last edited by Sgtdoogie; 09-28-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #73
Sgtdoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
With Pawn Stars or American Pickers, you soon get the idea that they are contemptuos of the people they buy from, especially Pawn Stars and Hardcore Pawn (set in Detroit).

I actually have first hand experience with Pawn Stars. Once again, what actually happens and how it's presented on TV is not the same. That doesn't take anything away from the items, IMO. The items are real, but the story behind it and how the shop operates is not real, it's TV.

My friend is the drummer for Judas Priest. In 2013, he decide to sell his 2004 Ozzfest tour drumkit that Tama built for him. Now, you're probably wonder why would he sell a kit, is he broke? No, not at all. You see, famous artists are signed by music vendors. In his case, he was a Tama artist for 25 years or so, but he switched in 2009 to DW Drums. He is not allowed to play his Tama set anymore..ever. So the kit was just sitting in storage doing nothing but taking up space (and drums take up a LOT of space).

So we set the drumkit up in my dining room to take photos and video, and the original thought was to sell the kit on eBay. I have attached a photo.

But while sitting around, we got the idea to sell the kit on Pawn Stars. So he made a few phone calls, and the producers of the show called him back. They asked him about the kit, the history, etc and how much he wanted. They said Rick is on vacation, but we'll give him the information and call you back.

Meanwhile, I came up the idea that I would walk into the store to sell the kit and when they asked where it was, we would walk out back with the kit on a flatbed truck with him playing drums. We thought it was cool.

A day or two later..it wasn't long, the producers called back. They said we told Rick about it, and he said he wasn't interested. That was that.

The kit was eventually sold to the Hard Rock Cafe. They put rock memorabilia in their restaurants....so it's probably hanging on a wall somewhere or sitting in a warehouse. Who knows.

I have actually been to the store. They do not film in the actual store. They have a replica next door that they film the show. Rick, his son and Chumlee don't actually work in the pawn store, they are legally not allowed to by Nevada law because you aren't allowed to film people trying to pawn items. If they were actually in the store, people would take pictures and videos all day, and people would unintentionally filmed against the law. So they just show up on set, and film the show. So all the banter and stuff about Chumlee being lazy and not working, is all just part of the entertainment of the show.

The items on the show are legit, but definitely not people just walking in out of the blue with a copy of the declaration of independence. That would be impossible to film. Hours and hours of filming junk would be very expensive. So like any show, it's all set up in advance, crew, catering, etc are all ready with items pre-vetted and then they film an episode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3435.JPG (133.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #74
Tom Wesenberg

I was riding along on a business trip with my neighbor, and we made a side trip to the Iowa Picker's store. Glad I didn't waste my gas making the side trip. OK, to stop in if you are already in the town, but don't bother driving out of your way to visit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #75
37 Coupe

Used to be a guy on the Old Fordbarn a few years ago who was on one of the episodes.I cannot remember his user name but this was on the Early V8 Forum where I met him and sold him an engine one time. He was on the episode that was scripted to promote the Nascar museum when it first opened and the guy owns Ralph Earnhardt's '37 Ford coupe that he raced. I called him up or emailed him the morning after the shows airing.I remember asking him why I saw a couple nice Ford parts that they walked right buy and I thought he told me they bought a lot of stuff that was not on the show. It is just entertainment but I do like the shows that have old cars or parts in them not some of the other stuff like doctors equipment etc.Another show I used to like was Wayne Carini's Chasing Classic Cars but cannot really relate to that big money part of the hobby.Wayne's dad was a Model A restorer.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #76
woodiewagon46

What the pickers need is a "car purchasing advisor". I remember that Model A they purchased. Loaded with reproduction parts, missing original parts, wrong interior, wrong color and paid top dollar. I guess when you have advertisers throwing buckets of money at you it doesn't matter.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 PM   #77
24ruxstel1339

I really enjoy the things they come up with.
I sometimes turn the sound off and just watch.
The 3 are a little hard to stomach for me.

If it wasn't a staged production, I would invite them here...
They would be "stoked" !
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #78
Terry, NJ

[ I used to like was Wayne Carini's Chasing Classic Cars but cannot really relate to that big money part of the hobby.Wayne's dad was a Model A restorer.[/QUOTE]

Wayne Carini seems more of a gentleman and I thoroughly enjoy watching him, When I can! The FIOS I have doesn't provide it. Furthermore, He never seems to reveal the prices paid or realized. I saw him take a bath on a car once (A Packard, I believe) and he handled it with grace and calm. I respected him for that. It was more than I was capable of. C.C.C. is a great show! Maybe it's all an illusion, but They seem to respect the intelligence of the viewer more than the others.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #79
29abone

i used to work with a clown that used to refer to himself in first party as a "picker" , used to drive me crazy listening to him try to swindle some old lady out of her late husbands antique whatever. He would always tell me about this show, & all the crazy treasures they would find, & would also tell me i should watch it. I don't have the time for t.v. I've got a garage full of model A's to tend to. When i'm not in the garage, i'm actually out finding my own treasures, i just don't put them on t.v for the whole world to see.
29abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #80
rfitzpatrick

29--
You "Tend Model A's" -- I like that
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote