Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Gary WA

Default Head Gasket Felpro 7013-R1???

Are there any still out there? And where?? These have the white centers, for Standard bore up to 060 over/ The 7013-R3 are whats available from vendors-black centers. .060 to .125 over bore?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Default Re: Head Gasket Felpro 7013-R1???

I haven't received any in some time. I've used white paint to paint the dark grey center portion with good results. Nason Ful-Thane is what I've used, just because I have a pint left over from a previous project but I'm sure most any automotive paint would work.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I've read here that just about any type of white paint used sparingly will work including white out.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Tom Endy

I think the only ones available are the R3's for the larger bores. I was fortunate to obtain an old NOS R1 from a friend. If R1's are available some where I would also like to know about it. I am not sure if there was an R2 or what it would have been used for.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Benson

Right Tom I saved this from 2006

From Larry Brumfield:

ID of Fel-Pro gasket .....

Posted by Larry Brumfield on Nov. 27, 2006 at 08:20:12
In Reply to: Re: I should add ......
posted by Barry B./ Ma. on Nov. 26, 2006 at 16:46:34
You're welcome.
Are you sure it was a Fel-Pro?
If you used a Fel-Pro copper gasket and it got smacked by the larger bore piston then the gasket had to be at least 15 years old or so.
The 7013 has been revised by Fel-Pro 3 times in the last 78 years which makes 4 different versions:

1. Original version with asbestos filler material.

2. Revision number one which is a change of the filler material from asbestos to a carbon like material (?) that proved to get hard and flaky. The gasket is stamped on the left side with an R1.

3. Revision number two which is an enlargement around the bore and combustion chamber to accept the biggest possible bore regardless of the deck height. The same filler material was used as in R1. The gasket is stamped on the left side with an R2.

4. Revision number 3 which is a change of the filler material to Kevlar. The enlargement for the biggest bore regardless of the deck height is still the same as the R2. The gasket is stamped on the left side with an R3.
The R3 is the only one that has been made in the last 10 or 12 years and it is the only one made today.

Last edited by Benson; 12-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Mitch

R-4 is the current Felpro being made now.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
JohnW

What is the white paint for?
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=JohnW;319854]What is the white paint for?[/QUOTE The white paint is suppose to help keep the gasket from seeping and causing ugly stains on the side of the engine. Urb Stair-Red E. Power , use to have a short article each month in one of the national club mags. Red said in one of his articals, that it didn't matter if it was gloss or flat, white spray can paint applied to the edges of the head gasket would help seal the filler of the gasket to prevent seepage.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
To simulate the original asbestos core that the original gaskets came with. To most people it wouldn't matter but the fine point guys and OCFD* types like me not seeing the white core makes the motor look like it's missing something.

*-Obessive Compulsive Ford Disorder
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

So it looks like asbestos.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I tuck a sheet of paper on each side between the copper and filler, then paint the filler material with WHITE OUT. Just keep sliding the paper along as the filler is painted. This keeps the paint off the copper, for a better appearance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Will N

I'm resurrecting this old thread about the old R1 version of the Fel-pro 7013 head gasket. I had to change out my head gasket recently because of a blow-out between 3 & 4. I was shocked at the extremely narrow width of the current R4 version that Fel-pro manufactures. True, lots of engines out there are over-bored and the R4 version accommodates that. But there are lots of guys who have sleeved their engines back to standard bore, and the ridiculously narrow gasket on a standard bore engine looks to be a blow out just waiting to happen.

So I'm starting a letter writing campaign! Here is the link to Federal Mogul's Fel-pro contact form. Maybe if enough of us hobbyists contact them and ask nicely that they bring back the standard bore R1 version of their 7013 head gasket, they'll realize that there is a market and they'll start making it again? Thanks for your support.

https://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstore...tact-us-submit
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Are there any still out there? And where?? These have the white centers, for Standard bore up to 060 over/ The 7013-R3 are whats available from vendors-black centers. .060 to .125 over bore?
This is an interesting post! I just started the assembly of my engine after a rebore to 0.080 over and have an older gasket set with the R-1 head gasket. Does this mean I cannot use it with a bore larger than 0.060?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
This is an interesting post! I just started the assembly of my engine after a rebore to 0.080 over and have an older gasket set with the R-1 head gasket. Does this mean I cannot use it with a bore larger than 0.060?
That's right. You want every bit of the fire rings to be squeezed between metal on both sides, and you don't want any part of the fire ring hanging out in the combustion area. Not only would it heat up and burn out, but it can cause preignition and damage pistons.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I tuck a sheet of paper on each side between the copper and filler, then paint the filler material with WHITE OUT. Just keep sliding the paper along as the filler is painted. This keeps the paint off the copper, for a better appearance.
Very clever
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I think the only ones available are the R3's for the larger bores. I was fortunate to obtain an old NOS R1 from a friend. If R1's are available some where I would also like to know about it. I am not sure if there was an R2 or what it would have been used for.

Tom Endy

Tom,

For a number of years H and H was sleeving all rebuilt engines back to standard bore. Not sure if they still do it but they must have had a source for R-1 sized gaskets.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Will N

Don't want to lose sight of my letter writing campaign! Here is the link to Federal Mogul's Fel-pro contact form. Maybe if enough of us hobbyists contact them and ask nicely that they bring back the standard bore R1 version of their 7013 head gasket, they'll realize that there is a market and they'll start making it again? Thanks for your support.

https://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstore...tact-us-submit
Old 08-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
Will N

This guy on ebay has some old stock copper gaskets with the white core with 1/4" of "meat" between the siamesed cylinders (vs. the current gaskets with just over 1/8"). I bought a bunch, there are still some left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1931-F...18e9%7Ciid%3A1