Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Dennis L Oberer

Default Those $2 carbs from IOLA--original jets ! !

By using some penetrating oil and careful elbow grease I disassembled both the Zenith1 and Zenith2.

Lo and behold..original stamped jets inside.

So if they are stamped with the Ford numbers...they are original Ford flowed tested jets, right?

Or did repo jets get stamped too?

If original,,,,,, I can just clean them carefully and not drill them and use them as is?

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Those $2 carbs from IOLA--original jets ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis L Oberer View Post
If original,,,,,, I can just clean them carefully and not drill them and use them as is?
Yes and no, you cannot assume that opening has not changed over the years of use but the car should run with them left alone.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Ron in Quincy

Zenith and Holley when building carbs for Ford did not flow test the jets and did not test run the carburetors. The jets were numbered and you can check the Service Bulletins and it tells you the number combination for the different carbs. There are also 3 types of removable secondary wells, pays to use type 3 as it is releaved so the compensating jet doesn't have a resticted gas flow.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

With the diluted 10% gas slightly worn original jets can be perfect, I have slightly worn original jets, with the old "real" gasoline I got my best mileage, and perfect performance with the GAV closed ---but on a dynomonometer under load using an exhaust gas analyzer the readings were slightly rich.

Now with the 10% ethanol we have I did the same test, the results now show that the carb is too lean, to get the same results I needed 1 turn on the GAV, and with it closed I can now have the carb too lean. Now 1/2 turn on gav is good until 50, then it needs 3/4 turn for best power over 60.

If the throttle shaft is tight enough just clean and put in new gaskets and give it a try.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Dennis L Oberer

Thznks Kurt....they have to be bead blasted and the passages cleaned out...but for $2 I can play with them a bit.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
cars56

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check them out carefully
I soldered all my jets closed and redrilled to Dallas Model A club specs. I think they are Ford factory specs. My re-po jets prior to re-drilling were so far off it was rediculous. I believe re-pos have no inscribed numbers, mine do not.
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
jgusgann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
Zenith and Holley when building carbs for Ford did not flow test the jets and did not test run the carburetors. The jets were numbered and you can check the Service Bulletins and it tells you the number combination for the different carbs. There are also 3 types of removable secondary wells, pays to use type 3 as it is releaved so the compensating jet doesn't have a resticted gas flow.

Ron
where can I buy a #3 secondary well?? and where can I buy some flow tested main and cap jets?
jgusgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgusgann View Post
where can I buy a #3 secondary well?? and where can I buy some flow tested main and cap jets?

This is the man to go to for good flowed jets. He is the best out there. I bought a set and put in my Zenith carb and it was such a huge improvement I only wish I had done it sooner.

http://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
ursus

The packagers of some of the earlier aftermarket carb rebuild kits must have been able to obtain jets from an original source. I found some old Sorensen brand Model A and B carb rebuild kits at a garage sale a few years back. I was surprised that they contained jets bearing the original numbers and that these jets were of the correct size. The other rebuild kits that I have purchased from the early Ford parts vendors since the 1970's were never quite correct in sizing and usually ran too rich.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Yes and no, you cannot assume that opening has not changed over the years of use ....
Exactly Mike... and it didn't help that "experts " such as Paul Moller in his carb book advised cleaning the jets with welding torch tip cleaners or drills!!!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Exactly Mike... and it didn't help that "experts " such as Paul Moller in his carb book advised cleaning the jets with welding torch tip cleaners or drills!!!
I learned that the hard way That and drilling out the brass plugs,,, found out later it wasn't that hard to clean them out with a small wire that's what I have been doing, leaving the brass plugs alone.

Renner's is the place to go for jets no doubt.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Wonder where those $2 carbs were at IOLA haha. I came home with some treasures. never fails within first 10 min of being in the gate i find the bulkiest heaviest crap...Then get to feel like Oedipus dragging a boulder around all day...
Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Not too long ago I used the info from Vince Falter's website to flow test a large quantity of jets. I used the Ford column length and Ford data.

I found most of the jets were flowing more then factory. Some way more then you might think. As in I double checked how I was doing the measurements to make sure something was not screwy.

Something just as important possibly. I noted that the some jets (I am thinking all the ones closest to original flow) had the best streams. That is it maintained a nice linear flow and did not get turbulent till far away from the nozzle. In a couple of cases I found some dirt in the jet. I used a wire to rub the edges of the jet and the stream cleared up.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote