Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: motor city oil system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
51 MERC CT
What is that Chain going to the bolt,in the 1st & 2nd Picturewsed for?

BILL W
To keep from dropping/losing the bolt.
You can see it hanging from the door in the third picture.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Ol' Ron

I've been using this Ford system for the past 50 years. But like Walt said with 3.8 connectors. On our stock car we ran a dual filter system with cooling fins on them that cooled the oil by almost 20 degs after a race.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
G.M.

I don't see any problems with the stock Ford system. If the bearing clearances are good and the oil pressure relief vave is adjusted before the engine is run you can get what ever oil pressure you want. I wouldn't put any oil pump in these engines that I didn't test first. The oil pressure on the later pumps can be adjusted when testing. Even the old pumps will put out 80 lbs. If the engine is properly cooled there is no need to cool the oil. G.M.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
38 Ford Guy

Did you make the same mistake I made and buy the kit off E-Bay? I did and had the same problems they are using a high volume pump from a French Block designed to be used on motors that ran pumps, generators etc. My oil pressure was all over the place at engine speeds that made no sense. I pulled it out and used the correct kit that Phil from Gollers Hot Rods in Michigan. 419-428-2271. Phil is a really nice guy and very helpful. His pumps are not on E-Bay because he wants to talk to the person doing the installs to ensure they are being installed correct. The line from the pump out the pan is indexed to help you get a visual refernce so you do not kink the hose. He uses a Melling std pressure pump made in the good ol USA. It works good for me now...15lbs pressure hot at idle and 60lbs hot at 4,000 rpms. Clean filtered oil which would have saved my motor las summer when a valve spring broke and ran through my motor taking out an NOS 4" crank.
38 Ford Guy is offline   Reply With Quote