Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
JD-OHIO

Default VIN Number

Is it possible to check the VIN number on a 31 4-door without taking the body clear off? If so, could someone explain how to do it. I need to do a VIN verification to transfer a Florida title to an Ohio title.
JD-OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: VIN Number

Unfortunately, it was stamped under the front left corner of the body. It is not possible to verify without at least lifting the body high enough to remove the apron and any webbing that might be there over the traditional place of serial number stamping.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
jwilliams81

I live in and Ohio and bought from New York. I used the engine number. While not ideal, most people do that.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

The vin should be on the left hand side of the motor,then it was transferred to the frame I would use the number on the title or old registration.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
jwilliams81

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

"As shown above in the 1928 Model A Ford Instruction Book, Ford did in fact specify the engine number to be the 'serial number' of the vehicle, during the Model A (and B) era, and throughout the 1930's. The Specifications and License Data page above in the Instruction Book is quite clear and specific about this.

It is popularly but incorrectly claimed that the serial number of the vehicle was a frame number. Actually, not all Model A vehicles even had a frame number. A great many did not have a frame number stamped, and it varied depending on when and which of the more than two dozen assembly plants completed the vehicle final assembly. There is no Ford literature available indicating a frame number was ever intended for any primary identification of a vehicle by Ford."
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Unfortunately, it was stamped under the front left corner of the body. It is not possible to verify without at least lifting the body high enough to remove the apron and any webbing that might be there over the traditional place of serial number stamping.
You are correct, no need to lift the body completely off the frame but just enough to expose the frame number. That's what I did. This still entails quite a bit of work, had to loosen the body bolts and steering column, also removed the fender, splash shield and running board. I rubbed some chalk over the number to make it easier to read.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
Planojc

JD see if the vin # on your title matches the # stamped on the engine. If it does, you are very lucky and good to go, but if not check with the Ohio DMV on what to do. You can do this online. Most of the time the frame number is not legible due to rust pitting.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Some states require a frame number verification but not all. GM put the number on the engines for a long time but no frame transfer of number at all. In TX a person can get by with a pencil rubbing of the frame number but I would still let a state certified inspection station or DPS officer to witness just in case. Every time I get a good model A frame, I document the numbers and build a file on it. I've not had any that had no number yet but then most of the frames I've had weren't too rusty. Ford did sell replacement frames for the model A and they had no number. They were to be stamped with the number for the repaired vehicle by your local Ford dealer since many of them had the KRW stamp set. They could stamp replacement bare motor blocks as well.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
ronn

where in OH are you? I have a buddy in Chillicothe who could do your inspection for you.........

[email protected]
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
Pat/Ohio

I have a buddy at my local GM dealership (salesman) that gives me an out-of-state transfer paper without even seeing the car. I'm in Ohio also. I think it cost me $15 for the paperwork. I take it with the out of state title to my BMV and walk out with an Ohio title. Do you have a buddy at your car dealership?

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Do it right. If the number on the title doesn't match a visible number on the car you will eventually have trouble selling it. If you are stopped by the police and they check the number (they do in California) and it doesn't match they may confiscate the car. If you have an accident the insurance adjuster will look at the car and say "this isn't the car we insured".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote