Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
jwilliams81

Default Your local club's best tours?

I thought it would be fun to have people chime in with their favorite tours they have been on,local chapters, not national tours.
Themes, places they have gone as a club, other ideas.
Throw them out here
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Your local club's best tours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
I thought it would be fun to have people chime in with their favorite tours they have been on,local chapters, not national tours.
Themes, places they have gone as a club, other ideas.
Throw them out here
Since you are from the Cincinnati area, then you may be familiar with this particular tour but as I understood it, several years ago the local Model-T club (NoKen Ts??) held a tour to benefit someone who was ill and needed money for treatments. As I understand it, they raffled-off seats in different club member's car for the community to ride on a day tour around the area. Local restaurants donated lunches and coffee stops for the participants (car club and their guests) where all of the money raised could go to the person that was ill. It was a great gesture that promoted the car club to the general public, -and I am sure it was a great way for a perspective club member and his family to see whether owning an antique car was the right hobby for them. If you know BJ & Casey, you might ask them for more details about this event, but it is definitely something that could be replicated in other parts of the country. Even if the money raised was to benefit a local charity.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
whirnot

Back when we were in Colorado, our club, the Northern Colorado Model A's did a multi day trip to the Black Hills.
That has always been my favorite, those roads were made for the cars.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
Dodge

I belong to two of our local Model A clubs and neither one is very active with with tours of any distance. The local Model T Club is another story though. Every tour is its own special tour. They average about 100 miles each. There is at least one a month during the tour season with points of interest stops and sometimes a little antique shopping along the way.
We have been to several car collections. There have been train collections, oil can collections the obligatory winery stops.
Then there is the annual Santa Clara speedster run with accompanying low land tour for nonspeedster cars.
We are very lucky to live in an area with plenty of back roads and open space to tour in.
The more memorable tours have been our annual overnighted tours lasting four days.
We usually travel a hundred to two hundred miles out of our area and have a hub tour based out of one location.
I could ramble on but I’ll let some one else tell there tale.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
jwilliams81

Keep them coming!

I am thinking about trying a tour where we all try and cook a lunch on our manifolds while we drive. So you would tour and stop and see who has the best meal cooked off of their car.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Dodge

We did that years ago it was a very fun tour. You will have to experiment ahead of time and plan a route where you can make stops to flip the meal when necessary And to get the right amount of time/miles for cooking.
About half way thru things start to smell pretty good making you hungry for lunch.
Let us know how it turns out.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
1930artdeco

I set up one tour for manifold cooking-albeit we all ended up cooking hot dogs. But, it went well, except for the fact that you started getting hungry quickly! One guy had the cooker that the vendors sell and he said it did well.

We just completed our annual Mystery Tour to the North Bay. We gather everyone at a rally point, hand them directions for the first leg and send them off. Nobody, knows where they are going so you have to have really good directions. We only lost a few people but they eventually found us. We ended up spending the night in Rohnert Park having a great tour.

I like the idea of raffling off seats on a tour. I will have to try that next year maybe just on a short tour to start out.

Mike
Old 11-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
CarlG

Several tours made by our Alaskan A's that are memorable to me:
• Wiseman Alaska, 630 miles (one way) had to be towed home.
• McCarthy Alaska, total round trip was ~900 miles. Feature article in "The Restorer"
• Kodiak Alaska ~600 road miles + overnight ferry ride each way
• Eagle / Valdez Alaska, total round trip was 1,000 road miles + 6 hour ferry ride
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

One of our top tours is to the Amish Country in Ohio. Berlin. We go there every other year. 4 day tour with three nights at an Amish Motel. The roads were made for the A. Great food too.

The other big tour we have every year is our Blueberry Run.

Getting bigger each year is our Dream Cruise dinner and run down Woodward Ave. a week before the big day of the cruise. We are getting close to 30 A's out for that one.

You near-by clubs are welcome to join us on any of our tours.
Oakleaf Club in the Detroit area.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
john in illinois

We have an annual June tour during the first week. It is a 3 or 4 night tour. We go to different places or events. Last year was Model A Day in Sharon WI and points in between. It has been growing every year. Last year I think there were 25 or so A’s.
This year it is places around Rt 66 in Illinois.

John
Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Ray in La Mesa

I was tour director of our club some 20 years ago and had a couple mystery tours. The first one I told everyone to bring a pair of heavy sox--we went to a roller skating rink. The second tour I told them to bring a roll of masking tape. We ended at a park on the hills above Mission Bay Park in San Diego. We had a picnic lunch then I handed out paper kites & string. The tape was to repair the kites after the dog fights! Kids of all ages had fun on both tours. it seems I raised the mystery level by requiring them to bring an object.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
daveymc29

I used to take our club and sometimes another club or two to Willits CA for a Steam up of a lot of the old machinery that was used in the harvesting of the redwood forests back in the early days of California. Trains and ships hauled the logs and lumber for the mines, railroads and buildings of northern California. A lot of this stuff was just left in place as the mills closed or moved on. Steam enthusiast came along and salvaged this stuff and in the fall had a Steam Up to show off their skills. Our club is from Livermore and Willits is well north along 101 in the tall tree neck of the woods. There was (Maybe is) a diesel powered train called the Skunk than made a daily trip from Fort Bragg to Willits and back and another that did the opposite. They met at a place called, amazingly enough, Mid Point. We would take the one from Willits to Mid Point, eat lunch there and then catch the one going back to Willits. Our cars were on display in the central park area in center of Willits and upon arriving back we would stroll through all the exhibits and ooh and aah at all we saw. Evening brought a dinner meal served by the locals and then we took our machines back to our motels. The following day we made a drive back to the SF Bay area and went our separate ways. This was a two night stay in Willits and we ate a lunch about noon or so on the two travel days, going it was in Healdsburg and returning in Cloverdale. Very scenic driving through the redwoods and the wine country of N/W California. I believe a couple of times we stayed in Fort Bragg and took the cars to Willits early to catch the Skunk back to Mid point. Then after our dinner in Willits we'd drive back to Fort Bragg to our motels. That was always a fun trip for me and my car always seemed to cooperate and make the trip with no issues. Then the Skunk got sold, the venue was different and interest fell off so we haven't revived that tour. Maybe worth doing again, but the fires, traffic and changes along the highway have taken a lot of the glamour out of it for me, so someone else will likely have to put it on if we commence with the old tour. Was fun for several years and I was blessed with both good weather and good participants. Thanks to all that attended.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote