Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
draggin49

Default Which rear end parts are interchangeable between 1932 rear and 1934 rear ??

I’m in the process of building a Columbia rear end . I have a 1934 rear that will be mated to the Columbia . I was curious how similar the 1932 and 1934 rear are. Does the ring and pinion from 1932 rear work inside a 1934 rear? Or any other items ?
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Which rear end parts are interchangeable between 1932 rear and 1934 rear ??

Only the late '32 is similar except for the position of the radius rod brackets to the '33-34.The '32 with the round torque tube flange uses the same R&P as the Model A.The axle tube end bells might interchange.The torque tube and driveshaft of the late '32 compared to the '33-34 V8 is shorter by 8 9/16".

Last edited by deuce lover; 06-18-2018 at 02:36 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
DavidG

Default Re: Which rear end parts are interchangeable between 1932 rear and 1934 rear ??

Sheldon,

Some 'real' late '32 rear axles with bearings on both sides of the pinion gear had straight rear axle radius rods and the matching axle housings like '33'34s. I have a late standard Fordor with the late frame, late transmission case, steel oil pan, and late rear axle with straight radius rods.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Sheldon,

Some 'real' late '32 rear axles with bearings on both sides of the pinion gear had straight rear axle radius rods and the matching axle housings like '33'34s. I have a late standard Fordor with the late frame, late transmission case, steel oil pan, and late rear axle with straight radius rods.

I should have mentioned that.I know that they are straight and in 33 - angled.Never seen a late 32 rear with the angled brackets.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Just in case you don't know . . . if you have a later Columbia, it is probably designed for the wider center section - not the 34 center section. You'll need to run a spacer ring to bring the center section up to the later width. There are a lot of little nuances to know - is best to work with one of the Columbia Rear experts.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Just in case you don't know . . . if you have a later Columbia, it is probably designed for the wider center section - not the 34 center section. You'll need to run a spacer ring to bring the center section up to the later width. There are a lot of little nuances to know - is best to work with one of the Columbia Rear experts.
Yeah , I am not touching the Columbia myself ,my Columbia is a 46-48 gonna drop off the parts I have to an expert and just tell him to let me know whatever parts he still needs to make it work in my 1932. A friend of mine is gonna be tackling the installation of 1940’s ford brakes and f1 steering conversion. The Columbia guy is close by so they both will be spending some time with my car .

Now I’m thinking I may just bite the bullet and pull the car off the frame and do a full ground up resto on it
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
deuce lover

Here is a suggestion.Change your gears out to 3.54.Joe in Temple City can do that for you.Reinstall it and drive your car.You can have the car on the road in as little as 2 wks.In the meantime have a Columbia set up done for your car,if that is what you want in the end. You can then install the Columbia and sell your 3.54 rear with no problem.