Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Help for a friend

So, here are the Ace Mechanic and his assistant off on a rescue mission. Our friend had brought his car to my house with a slight miss. A couple of us had determined that he had a valve that was stuck open, moved a bit but not setting on the seat. We fished around and got an old fangled brake spoon in the spark hole and managed to work the valve all the way closed. We know this because now we had improved the compression in that hole from zero up to about 90 like the other three. This was a recent rebuild by a shop in the LA area. So now the car runs fine and all is well.
Our next adventure is to go to Vallejo's Mare Island ship yard and have a look at what transpired there for the last 100 plus years, grab a bite and come home. Not so good on the come home part. Car barely pulls the little inclines from Vallejo to San Ramon.
He brings the car back to my house and another zero compression. Whipped off the head and see that the valve is being help open by the valve seat insert that has become un-inserted and now is laying cockeyed arounds the valve. Pull the engine out and send it back to LA. Meanwhile we put a B engine that has recently been built and never put in a car in his car so he can drive again.
I get a call that he now has been driving it a bit and all was lovely until he went to Home Depot close by and on the way home it began to heat and wouldn't run more that about 5 or so MPH.
Comes the rescue team. I think it may be that his accelerator is not making the full swing and my able assistant tells me he suspects the spark advance rod. We meet another helpful chap at his house and while someone fetches him I raise the hood. My able assistant is correct. There before our eyes is the spark advance rod laying below the distributor. I put that on as the owner comes out and we tell him, "All done, $200.00 please for the house call."
He and I drive around his neighborhood and for once again the little gem is running like a Japanese watch. (Didn't really collect the &200.00)

Last edited by daveymc29; 06-16-2018 at 07:53 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Help for a friend

He does owe you an adult beverage!!!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Pilotdave

Wow - it'd be great if all road side seminars ended so quickly!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Very well done write-up.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
So, here are the Ace Mechanic and his assistant off on a rescue mission. Our friend had brought his car to my house with a slight miss. A couple of us had determined that he had a valve that was stuck open, moved a bit but not setting on the seat. We fished around and got an old fangled brake spoon in the spark hole and managed to work the valve all the way closed. We know this because now we had improved the compression in that hole from zero up to about 90 like the other three. This was a recent rebuild by a shop in the LA area. So now the car runs fine and all is well.
Our next adventure is to go to Vallejo's Mare Island ship yard and have a look at what transpired there for the last 100 plus years, grab a bite and come home. Not so good on the come home part. Car barely pulls the little inclines from Vallejo to San Ramon.
He brings the car back to my house and another zero compression. Whipped off the head and see that the valve is being help open by the valve seat insert that has become un-inserted and now is laying cockeyed arounds the valve. Pull the engine out and send it back to LA. Meanwhile we put a B engine that has recently been built and never put in a car in his car so he can drive again.
I get a call that he now has been driving it a bit and all was lovely until he went to Home Depot close by and on the way home it began to heat and wouldn't run more that about 5 or so MPH.
Comes the rescue team. I think it may be that his accelerator is not making the full swing and my able assistant tells me he suspects the spark advance rod. We meet another helpful chap at his house and while someone fetches him I raise the hood. My able assistant is correct. There before our eyes is the spark advance rod laying below the distributor. I put that on as the owner comes out and we tell him, "All done, $200.00 please for the house call."
He and I drive around his neighborhood and for once again the little gem is running like a Japanese watch. (Didn't really collect the &200.00)
Great use of ingenuity on the valve and fishing around to do the trick!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote