Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #21
Bill Goddard

Default Re: Poor quality transmission roller bearings

Has anyone had a problem with new Bratton's bearing causing growling noise when first installed? There have been 2 transmission rebuilds in my club in the last week that have serious growling noise when first started up. These "bad" bearings may have dimensional problems as well.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #22
chrs1961815

I thought I had the new bad bearings but after some inspection, they were good quality. The ends were all closed off and nothing was really loose. A lot like the originals. Brattons has good ones I think, I would give them a call just to be sure as they will tell you.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:30 AM   #23
Mac VP

We rebuild many early V8 transmissions, which used the same roller bearings as the Model A transmission. Tom’s report is exactly correct. We’ve seen enough of the repro roller bearings fail that we stopped using (and selling) them several years ago. NOS bearings are nearly impossible to find these days so we’ve also learned to save any usable original roller bearings that we can. Berliss Bearing is the source for the chinee bearings and they don’t seem very concerned about the issue since the various vendors continue to buy the product.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #24
Benson

See post 7 above ... for updated info

Posted below is info mentioned above

NOTE: I have seen both types of roller bearings discussed above fail. These bearings happen to be ones with the pins on both ends of the rollers.

I deleted my information from this post on 06-10-20 because as mentioned in the post I could not find the photos.

Well I have found the original failed bearings and gears from the transmission that screamed VERY loud in second gear in less that 500 miles after rebuild with ALL new Mark gears.

Brand-new Mark gears in all positions:
Second slider was damaged along with the second gear position on cluster gear.

Teeth are badly pitted from all of the vibrations.

NO ... this transmission NEVER had any water inside it and 600W was always used. Never ANY STP or other Snake oil.

I have seen both types of roller bearings discussed above fail.

It appears to me that the steel used to make the bearing cages is soft OR maybe the rollers are tapered.
I will mic the rollers to see if they are tapered.

1. Soft steel cages problem is obvious as to what it causes.

2. Tapered rollers might cause rollers to move forward or backward and place pressure on soft roller cages.
I say this because not all rollers have worn into the cages.

3. I also found a possible problem with the REPRO spacer inside the cluster gear that I used.
Spacer may not be the cause but it could have contributed to the destruction of the bearing cages.

I am very busy at the shop trying to catch up so will post photos later when time allows.

[

Last edited by Benson; 06-26-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #25
Ford-A-baquet

I have already restored my gearbox and have read it here. It is the next level of escalation to botch up a needle bearing. I had complained about the first scraps to a well known dealer I trusted and received immediate replacement. Now after two years, the vehicle should be registered soon. Surprise, surprise, it all starts again. These are the bearings I just read about. The picture attached shows three needles where the hole is not in the center. the needles egg on the pins. It is clear that the pins are worn out. For the sake of order, my complaint about the rear wheel bearings attached. I was lucky with the wheel bearings, 3x NOS bowers on ebay.com.

thanks for your attention

Rik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Getriebelager.jpg (34.8 KB, 58 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A-7121 bearing.pdf (677.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf bearing complaint.pdf (7.8 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Ford-A-baquet; 06-28-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Ford-A-baquet is offline   Reply With Quote