Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Mercury Differential

Its looking (sounding) like my "new' 53 Merc might have a differential problem. I'd noticed slightly unusual sounds when pushing the car around before. So I jacked it up, removed left rear wheel . It turns ok but there is some bad sounds and I can't be sure if its in the brake drum or differential. Haven't been able to get the drum off yet and just hoping the problem is in there. Wheel bearing seems fine and without play. That drum is sure stuck on the hub though. Bigger hammer?
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: Mercury Differential

Bigger hammer??
What are you using for a drum puller?? Hundreds of previous posts on pulling drums. Do a search
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Bigger hammer??
What are you using for a drum puller?? Hundreds of previous posts on pulling drums. Do a search
John
Only way to hook a puller to this drum is at the outer edge, which will bend it into uselessness. The problem is rust where the drum inner diameter seats on the axle flange. This is a close fit to properly center the drum over the shoes. If penetrating oil won't loosen it (after wirebrushing the area), use an acetylene torch to heat the drum next to the axle flange so it will expand. The shape of the drum ID is such that it actually seems to bite into the axle when you pry on it.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
cas3

it would be unusual for the rear end to go out at the same time as the motor, which is why it was parked?. i'll bet you have some rusted brake springs that fell off, or linings are loose. good luck!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They can be a bear! It can be from two different sources, the drum fit to the axle hub and the shoes hanging up inside the drum. If you are getting new drums you can try cutting and drilling on the drum and take it apart in pieces. The drum is a tight fit even when everything is in good shape. With rust between the hub and the drum it gets really difficult. Then the shoes can stick to the inside surface of the drum and the shoes can also be out far enough that they catch on the ridge worn into the drums. Total fun to get apart.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
rotorwrench

It seems like those old Ford rear axles with the removable third member could be problematic at times. A lot more so than the Dana axles that the 49 thu 51 Merc plus all the station wagons, police cars, and F1 pickups used. I hope it is something in the brake department. It's getting harder to find the hard parts for those grandaddy to the 9-inch axles.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
RalphG

Good news! The drum is off and the diff is fine. There was a couple of broken shoe rivet heads rolling around in the drum catching and grinding. Definitely needs shoes if I'm going to drive it. Not so good news on the drum though. I chipped a couple of pieces out of the flange while "tapping" on it with a hammer. No way to get a puller on these type drums. I never had a problem like this when I pulled the drums off the 52. They came off with no great effort or damage even after sitting 30+ years. Guess this 53 sat for longer.
Its got the standard 3.90 axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409[1].jpg (72.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looks like the drums are a little difficult to come by. I checked the sources I normally use and didn't find any.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
wisbangman

Great news! replace a differential?, or replace a brake drum? I'll take replacing the brake drum every time!- I'm following your Merc. progress with interest! I also, had 2 1953 Mercurys. A custom hardtop, my first car, bought in 1959, out of the last row at Hub Chrysler, in Milwaukee, for $100.00. And a really, really nice Monterey hardtop, also $100.00, bought in 1963. Wish I had them back!
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
paul2748

Any chance that the drums are the same as early TBirds (they used a Dana rear in 55 and 56)? These drums are available
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
Great news! replace a differential?, or replace a brake drum? I'll take replacing the brake drum every time!- I'm following your Merc. progress with interest! I also, had 2 1953 Mercurys. A custom hardtop, my first car, bought in 1959, out of the last row at Hub Chrysler, in Milwaukee, for $100.00. And a really, really nice Monterey hardtop, also $100.00, bought in 1963. Wish I had them back!
This was supposed to be a parts car for my 52 you remember. I think if the differential was seriously damaged it would have been the straw that broke the camel's back pushing this 53 back to parts car status. But for now its back in the game. I'll clean up that drum tomorrow to see if its useable.
Try not to laugh too hard at my latest hammer and chisel body work here
https://youtu.be/k5yKVcd0dkQ
Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
rotorwrench

The drums for those year Mercury models are 11-inch but they are standard late Ford bolt pattern. Station wagons in those years used them and police equipped cars but most were probably used on Mercury cars from 52 thru 54. They might be harder to come by. The 49 thru 51 Mercury front drums are unobtainium too but at least some later Ford pick up drums can be altered to fit them. This might also be the case with the 52 thru 54 Mercury if there is a drum that is 11-inch with similar back spacing.

To ADD: It looks like the 55 & 56 Ford and Thunderbird rear drums will fit the 52 thru 54 Merc. C&G lists them that way for rear drums. P/N B5A-1126 (they add USA on the end for their P/N) They are 11" X 2 1/4" but they are pricy.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
flatford8

Ralph.. did you ever find the small welding rods usable on sheet metal?.... I think ther’re called “Easy Strike”. I found the package I had but the flux is crumbling. I cant use them. If you want them,PM me your address and I’ll gladly mail them to you.... Mark
PS they are on Amazon..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The drums for those year Mercury models are 11-inch but they are standard late Ford bolt pattern. Station wagons in those years used them and police equipped cars but most were probably used on Mercury cars from 52 thru 54. They might be harder to come by. The 49 thru 51 Mercury front drums are unobtainium too but at least some later Ford pick up drums can be altered to fit them. This might also be the case with the 52 thru 54 Mercury if there is a drum that is 11-inch with similar back spacing.

To ADD: It looks like the 55 & 56 Ford and Thunderbird rear drums will fit the 52 thru 54 Merc. C&G lists them that way for rear drums. P/N B5A-1126 (they add USA on the end for their P/N) They are 11" X 2 1/4" but they are pricy.
I cleaned the drum and its not bad except for some rust pitting. Not sure how much they would have to cut to take that out. I see the shoes are readily available at several locations, reasonable price too.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Good news! The drum is off and the diff is fine. There was a couple of broken shoe rivet heads rolling around in the drum catching and grinding. Definitely needs shoes if I'm going to drive it. Not so good news on the drum though. I chipped a couple of pieces out of the flange while "tapping" on it with a hammer. No way to get a puller on these type drums. I never had a problem like this when I pulled the drums off the 52. They came off with no great effort or damage even after sitting 30+ years. Guess this 53 sat for longer.
Its got the standard 3.90 axle.
Upgrade to MT removable drums! just a suggestion

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Bigger hammer??
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Upgrade to MT removable drums! just a suggestion
Guys...We ARE NOT talking about a BANJO-type rear end here. MT drums do not fit a '53 Merc, nor do the drums/hubs attach via a tapered axle like on a banjo rear.. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #17
1949f1

If you’re willing to spend the money you can have drums relined.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
paul2748

I have a set of new drums for a 56 Bird that look like Chinese (but not sure). Not going to use them. If you are interested give me the specs (width, center hole and diameter) and I will check them out. For shipping charges only (they are heavy as you know). PM me.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #19
Bulligen

Great news, I have had similar issues with old drums and shoes and it has always worked our like yours. I think those rear ends could power a bren carrier, ha! Floors will be in very good shape when you get finished as well. Love the videos! Keep on Merc-in !
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #20
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
Great news, I have had similar issues with old drums and shoes and it has always worked our like yours. I think those rear ends could power a bren carrier, ha! Floors will be in very good shape when you get finished as well. Love the videos! Keep on Merc-in !
Found some good heavy sheet metal in the scrap iron collection today. Not big enough to make a single panel for the driver side so I'll have to splice two (and a bit) narrow sections together. I think this metal is heavy enough I can weld it with the arc welder without burning through. It will give a good strong mounting base for the gas pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0410[1].jpg (55.8 KB, 45 views)