Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Engine stamping

My "new" engine has a blank serial number pad. I have the stamps, just haven't got around to stamping it yet.

One of these days, maybe. (yawn)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
My "new" engine has a blank serial number pad. I have the stamps, just haven't got around to stamping it yet.

Carl
Maybe since your experienced the authorities will house you in the license plate stamping dept wing of the penitentiary. beats hard labor on a chain gang
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #23
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I have a set you can borrow.

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
Steve has offered you a good solution if you want to re-stamp. They have quality items and service.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #24
Cool Hand Lurker

By stamping the correct number on the blank block you are not altering anything, you are not changing anything, you are not removing anything, you are not committing any fraud, you are simply putting the correct number on a replacement part of your vehicle that nobody has claimed is stolen. After it is done there is NO evidence of any crime. If the arresting officer cannot provide proof of a crime and brings it before the judge anyway, the judge will throw it out of court.
Don't create problems that are not there. Stamp the numbers!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #25
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

I assume you have installed the new engine in the car and are driving it. A police officer stops you for a missing tail light. You explain that the car only came from the factory with one and he says ok. Then he asks you for your registration and looks through the window to see the VIN. You tell him that it is not in that location but you cannot show him where it is to verify the car on the registration is the car in front of him since you haven't stamped the block. He calls the tow truck and the car is impounded. Or maybe you have an accident and the insurance agent come out and wants to verify the car in the accident is the one his company insured, guess what? Then maybe I just worry too much.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
stamp it how the factory did with the stars on either end and repaint over it - then keep your mouth shut about it and noone will know...dont want loose lips traveling to friends in the state departments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I'm sure the police in all 50 states have better things to do than pull over a Model A Ford and ck to see if the engine # has been restamped. That said the majority of them would probably have to be shown where it was.
JMO
Paul in CT.

Sometimes methinks some of us worry about nothing. Again JMO
Just trying to keep the members here informed. Problems only arise when the vehicle is so far from the look and driveability of the original as to stick out that the stampings are just a way to "cheat" the government of their taxes.

Here is a famous case; http://www.hotrod.com/news/0501kc-sp...-registration/
Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
By stamping the correct number on the blank block you are not altering anything, you are not changing anything, you are not removing anything, you are not committing any fraud, you are simply putting the correct number on a replacement part of your vehicle that nobody has claimed is stolen. After it is done there is NO evidence of any crime. If the arresting officer cannot provide proof of a crime and brings it before the judge anyway, the judge will throw it out of court.
This is true assuming that you already had a valid title that has that number. I would not want to be in front a judge and tell him, "yea judge, the family had this old car so I found a title and just wanted it to match the car so I stamped the block."
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
Flathead

I'm curious what was done about numbers "back in the day" when you might put in a Sears Roebuck rebuilt or some other replacement engine new or used. Were they routinely re-stamped or just ignored.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Hey Lurker,
Wow, that is good !!
I'm going to copy this and plasticote it and tape a copy in my roadster....next to the location where I stamped my #s..to show if questioned !

You ever hear of a guy named Murphy ?

I'm guessing that you are a transplant for the left coast..no
Shoot, out here your car IS IMPOUNDED for exhibition of speed (racing), imagine what 'they' would/could do for 'suspicion/evidence' of fraud !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #30
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I'm curious what was done about numbers "back in the day" when you might put in a Sears Roebuck rebuilt or some other replacement engine new or used. Were they routinely re-stamped or just ignored.
I'm thinking that there was no DMV (just the thot brings a ) ...back in the day('30s).
Also think that the factory records of those days (thankfully)are the only records of engine #s, and that was for company uses ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #31
Chris Haynes

It is illegal to alter or deface a manufacturers serial number. I see no problem with applying one.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

I have obtained titles where there were none probably ten times, maybe more. I look at the number on an available motor or one that is in the car and then go to the local licensing agent and ask them to check their computer to see if there is a title issued to a Model A with that number. If there is, then I move on to another engine. When I find one where there is no title registered in Minnesota then I use that engine or if it is trash then I use the number.
It isn't hurting anybody.

My position is that the motor is not the vehicle, the motor becomes a part of a vehicle when it is installed and the complete car comes off the assembly line.

And I don't care what they do in California. That state has cost the country HUGE with it's wacko laws, especially with the environment and vehicle emissions.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #33
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
It is my understanding based on what I have read that people were "required" to notify DMV of the new engine number. Of course I am sure that this was frequently not done and may not have been the practice in all states. I imagine there was a lot of restamping.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote