Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
ed stanley

Default failure of modern points

Thought I'd pass my experience of yesterday along, since it may help someone else. (I've been reading some old posts about intermittent and complete failure of modern style points at times. I replaced the modern style points yesterday in my '31 pickup. Wouldn't start after, and I found there was a dead short in the distributor. Checked the small wire between the plates, replaced condensor, checked and rechecked - dead short still. Removed the points and took them to a well lit work bench and dismantled them. The plastic insulator looked fine, but what I almost missed was a razor sharp burr about .040" long on the inside edge of the small stud holding the spring. As soon as the small inside nut was snugged up, the razor edge penetrated the soft plastic, and shorted out to the bracket. I carefully filed the burr, put the points back in, and my old pickup fired right up. Then checked the old points I'd taken out - same thing. Apparently the manufacture, when stamping out these little studs, makes this burr. It's easy to look for, and readily fixed, but a real pain if overlooked.
ed stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: failure of modern points

I know that I had my share of problems with the so called modern points. It seems to me that the pressure has been on to use them for at least the last twenty years. Even if they can be took apart and fixed, I don't plan to ever worry with them again. Your info may help some that get stranded with them and that is good.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Benson

VERY good info ... thanks Ed!!

Were they Ford MotorCraft points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed stanley View Post
Thought I'd pass my experience of yesterday along, since it may help someone else. (I've been reading some old posts about intermittent and complete failure of modern style points at times. I replaced the modern style points yesterday in my '31 pickup. Wouldn't start after, and I found there was a dead short in the distributor. Checked the small wire between the plates, replaced condensor, checked and rechecked - dead short still. Removed the points and took them to a well lit work bench and dismantled them. The plastic insulator looked fine, but what I almost missed was a razor sharp burr about .040" long on the inside edge of the small stud holding the spring. As soon as the small inside nut was snugged up, the razor edge penetrated the soft plastic, and shorted out to the bracket. I carefully filed the burr, put the points back in, and my old pickup fired right up. Then checked the old points I'd taken out - same thing. Apparently the manufacture, when stamping out these little studs, makes this burr. It's easy to look for, and readily fixed, but a real pain if overlooked.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
ed stanley

Sorry Benson - can't be any help on that one. No markings on the points. They came in a poly bag from one of the Model A parts distributors.

Ed
Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
2manycars

It pays to buy first quality points. Motorcraft, echlin, standard. I remember years ago I went to the store to buy points, and saw the motorcraft were foreign made, so bought some filco points, made in USA. The car ran worse with the new points than with the old ones I just took out. I went back and bought the foreign made motorcraft points and put those in, and it ran perfectly.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

In most cases the used set of points that were under the seat when you got the car are better than any modern production points
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt in nj View Post
in most cases the used set of points that were under the seat when you got the car are better than any modern production points
amen
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
ed stanley

This old pickup has been with me 45 of the last 62 years. I may go back to the original setup - certainly have enough of them in my stores. (there's one box marked in my father's handwriting "slightly used" - if nothing else, I'l always keep the box out of sentimental feelings.) I went to the modern point setup to improve reliability. Not sure that has happened.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Bill Steiner

I own an automotive shop. We use the Motorcraft points and cond. in Fords 1957 up till late 1970 when they stopped using points . Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Benson

Thanks Ed,

I just wanted to be on the lookout for the bad ones if they were a known brand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed stanley View Post
Sorry Benson - can't be any help on that one. No markings on the points. They came in a poly bag from one of the Model A parts distributors.

Ed
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Barry B./ Ma.

Hi Ed, so that's why the hood was up on the pickup when I dropped in to see you yesterday! Thought it might have been another cracked intake problem. glad you found the problem so we can look our spare parts over. Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote