Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
KIRK!

Default TECH HELP: Replacing Rubber Section of 1940 Throttle and Choke Rods???

What's the best/easiest technique for removing the old rubber connectors an replacing them with new ones. The existing ones just slide apart, but the metal insert is crimped on. How do I get that metal end off without damaging the rod?

Thanks!

KIRK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: TECH HELP: Replacing Rubber Section of 1940 Throttle and Choke Rods???

If you have a Dremel tool, get some of those high speed steel bits and slowly grind away. Might also try the reinforced cutting wheels they have.

The Dremel tool is just the right tool for this type of thing
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
KIRK!

Default Re: TECH HELP: Replacing Rubber Section of 1940 Throttle and Choke Rods???

How about crimping the new ones on? Is there a special tool?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
1oldtimer

on my '47 i gently cut it off the rod, found the side facing down and used a punch on the bottom side. i guess you could make something and put it in the vice......like 1/8" plate, drill a hole slightly smaller then the connector, cut it in half and vice away ????.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Dee

Had a similar experience with my car. You can file or grind the old connector section so it will come loose. Then clean the connecting rod end with sandpaper or dremel wire wheel. Apply some loctite ( highest strength) into the hole in the new connector and quickly shove the rod into the connector. You can also clamp that section in a vice and squeeze the dickens out of it. Be careful you orient the two sections of your pull rods before doing the second attactment as the rubber connectors won't twist very much.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Henry/Kokomo

I put new connectors on my '46 with epoxy glue. They've worked fine for 2 years. Good luck!
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Kube

Why not replace only the rubber? I've done that numerous times and they have yet to fail.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
KIRK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Why not replace only the rubber? I've done that numerous times and they have yet to fail.
How did you hold the rubber and metal insert together?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
KIRK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
I put new connectors on my '46 with epoxy glue. They've worked fine for 2 years. Good luck!
I just tried epoxy. If it doesn't work, I'm no worse off. We'll see in a few hours.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
40LUV

On mine, I was able to just replace the rubber elbow. I just pushed the metal linkages into the rubber and it popped into place. They have been holding like that probably for 10 years.
40LUV is offline   Reply With Quote