Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Joe KCMO

Default Removing the head off of a flathead

What is the best (safest for both me and the head) procedure for removing heads off of an engine. All the nuts have been removed. Do you beat it, pry it, wish it, curse it, any and all opinons are helpful.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
blown49

Default Re: Removing the head off of a flathead

Joe,

Sometimes you can feed a 1/4" rope thru one or more of the spark plug holes then rotate the crank with a socket and cheater bar to break them loose. Also some have made a puller out of 3"X3"x1/4" angle iron with holes drilled to match the spark plug holes. There was a thread on the HAMB a couple of months ago with pics. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here.

Jim

Found it here's the link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...removing+heads

Last edited by blown49; 06-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.
blown49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Mike51Merc

Hit it all around with a rubber mallet. Crank engine with spark plugs in. Putty knife or paint scraper between head and block. Screw driver between head and block.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
ford1

as you are about to find out they can be very hard to remove, first put penetrating oil on all studs and let set over nite, you can try to get it loose by starting engine with the nuts backed of a couple of turns from tight, if you cant start engine use plenty of penetrating oil, the best i have found is acetone and trans fluid mixed half and half, use a lead hammer, the type the machinest use, tap up on the head working all the way around, you can hit the head pretty hard, try not to use a pry type bar because you can damage the block and head and cause extensive machine work, if the engine is out of the car you can make a couple of eye hooks out of old spark plugs, you screw them in the spark plug holes and lift the engine a little with an engine puller while you tap on the head, have the head nuts on the studs two or three turns just in case the head comes free, hard work and paience? is the key words here, corrosion , warped heads and compositon head head gaskets make them very hard to remove, once you get it off some more fun begins it the head gaskets are composition, trying to clean the block around the studs is a nuckle buster, thats why i use copper head gaskets
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Vic Piano

I've removed heads on 59A Flatheads with studs, by removing all the nuts except two per head (leave them loose at the top of the stud). With the spark plugs in, and the ignition off, crank the motor and the heads should "pop". Once that happens you can get a pry bar in and work the heads up. Penetrating oil of some sort is a good idea as it will lubricate the studs, etc. Have fun.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Dee Jay

Never use screwdrivers,prybars,etc between head and block. It can be an expensive decision.
Dee Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Karl Wolf

I have used wide wood chisels with great success... Put the flat side to the block, on the high side. Keep the hits at a medium force and move from one end to the other, don't stay in the same spot... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
Never use screwdrivers,prybars,etc between head and block. It can be an expensive decision.
Using a "pry bar" to aid in the removal of heads, once they’ve been separated from the block (gasket), has never caused me any problems... It should be understood that care must be taken, if you rush anything you're apt to have trouble.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe KCMO View Post
What is the best (safest for both me and the head) procedure for removing heads off of an engine. All the nuts have been removed. Do you beat it, pry it, wish it, curse it, any and all opinons are helpful.
Joe, stop back and tell us how your doing and what method you used to remove the head

MAKE HASTE SLOWLY
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
40LUV

Is it in a running car? If so, thread some nuts back on (just a little), unhook the coil wire and hit the starter button. The compression should break it free. I had a blown head gasket and that's how I got it off. I'm assuming you already emptied the radiator. I had posted this same question on the HAMB years ago, here's the link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32551
40LUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

I use about 10cc of nitro in each cylinder reinstall plugs. Smack block with hammer. Do this outside so you don't put a hole in roof. Also remove main caps. Wear ear protection.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote