Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #41
old31

Default Re: throw-out bearing

Nose, what brand bearing did they send you?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #42
old31

Is the throwout bearing suppose to be pressed on the bearing collar or does it just easily slip on the collar? Mine slipped on.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #43
kawagumby

They're supposed to be pressed on. Mine was - it sounds like your bearing is rotating on the collar.

If it were mine, I'd just get some shim stock (unless it is ruined too much with uneven surface), wrap the collar with the shim (take a few test runs for fit) heat the bearing with a propane torch to where you can just hold it and tap it on with a soft-faced mallet.

My bearing was fitted tight to the collar, but I was able to heat it as above (with the collar still cold) and tap it off. Installing the new bearing I used the same process. I have a press, but the odd collar shape made for too much work (yes, I look for the easy way out) and this method works very well for a variety of applications.

Last edited by kawagumby; 01-24-2021 at 03:02 PM.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #44
Oldcarbearings

Try sourcing BCA/F.B.C.FAG/FEDERAL (O.E.M. supplier to Ford)/GREEN/RHP/SKF.Even the japanese made clutch bearings are better then some so called "USA" made bearings I didn't know/wasn't aware Fafnir was being made in Turkey.BEWARE of bearings that have NO brand/part number or if it's etched on they're inferior quality (either chinese made or indian).We procure/source/stock/supply either euro/jap/uk/us made clutch bearings.
Oldcarbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #45
PotvinV8

Apparently this is a larger issue not specific to our throwout bearings.

I ordered a set of bearings for a motorcycle engine a few years back, parts came from England. The package got red flagged while going through customs and held up for weeks while the custom agent interviewed myself and the supplier. Turned out they had marked the package as containing "engine bearings". I guess that was one of those "dog whistle" terms due to a large influx of inferior, bootleg import bearings marked as legit-brand items that was having a huge impact on all sorts of industries.

Thought that was interesting and probably the same scenario as to what we're seeing here.
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote