Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1953 Mercury Monterey

The Comets were popular in the Commonwealth countries since they were mostly a Canadian thing to start with. They didn't show up in the US till much later. My Pop bought a 1960 US built Comet and found that it was just too much a slug for him. The first US Comet was supposed to be an Edsel product but that changed when the Edsel was dropped from the Ford line. Those first US cars were based on the Falcon and were only available with the little 144 6-cylinder with a whopping 85 or 90 HP depending on who you believe. With the 2-speed automatic it was a real dog. Pop traded that car for a 1962 US production Mercury Meteor car with a 260 V8. It had a little more poop than the Comet did plus it had an add on AC unit.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #22
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonC View Post
An interesting story. Where I grew up in Canada the farms around the area would burn off the thatch in the spring so that the new grass could come in nice and rich. My dad thinking it was a good idea decided to do the same thing in our yard. We lived out in the country so it was no big deal really. That was until the garage which was a free standing building away from the house caught on fire! And it was too far for any house type garden hose or anything. Worst of all was the fact that my dads 1953 Mercury Monterey 4 door was inside sitting up on blocks with the transmission out of it. He was in the process of replacing the clutch. Well before the fire department could there the entire garage and car burnt to the ground! Sorry way for a good car to end! I was 8 years old and THAT made quite an impression on me at the time.
I bet that was painful to watch.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonC View Post
An interesting story. Where I grew up in Canada the farms around the area would burn off the thatch in the spring so that the new grass could come in nice and rich. My dad thinking it was a good idea decided to do the same thing in our yard. We lived out in the country so it was no big deal really. That was until the garage which was a free standing building away from the house caught on fire! And it was too far for any house type garden hose or anything. Worst of all was the fact that my dads 1953 Mercury Monterey 4 door was inside sitting up on blocks with the transmission out of it. He was in the process of replacing the clutch. Well before the fire department could there the entire garage and car burnt to the ground! Sorry way for a good car to end! I was 8 years old and THAT made quite an impression on me at the time.
I guess you weren't old enough to know to pull the crankshaft out and save it. Dang!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #24
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Comets were popular in the Commonwealth countries since they were mostly a Canadian thing to start with. They didn't show up in the US till much later. My Pop bought a 1960 US built Comet and found that it was just too much a slug for him. The first US Comet was supposed to be an Edsel product but that changed when the Edsel was dropped from the Ford line. Those first US cars were based on the Falcon and were only available with the little 144 6-cylinder with a whopping 85 or 90 HP depending on who you believe. With the 2-speed automatic it was a real dog. Pop traded that car for a 1962 US production Mercury Meteor car with a 260 V8. It had a little more poop than the Comet did plus it had an add on AC unit.
S22 was the one to have for the early US ones.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #25
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I guess you weren't old enough to know to pull the crankshaft out and save it. Dang!
You needing one? I’ve got a few spares. Around here you can buy a flathead for cheap if it doesn’t run.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
Greg58

I'm glad to see another four door car being restored, I've always liked two door cars but after doing my four door they turn out fairly well. I had a guy to tell me that it was nice to see a four door, he said he doesn't see a lot of them around.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
1949f1

Cool Re: 1953 Mercury Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
I'm glad to see another four door car being restored, I've always liked two door cars but after doing my four door they turn out fairly well. I had a guy to tell me that it was nice to see a four door, he said he doesn't see a lot of them around.
It’s nice to have a 4 door when you’re riding around with friends