Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
adileo

Default electrical question

39 6 vol pos grd - LED tail lights with resistors

Last night I went to car show with friends. Drove during dalylight - no lights on. Once there they told me I had no brake lights.

So today I jumped the brake stop switch and still had no lights. It turned out the socket in the housing was bad. So I took it out of the loop, I ran new wires direct tot he led lights (cutting off the plug-in play).

Now -
- turn signals work with no headlights on
- stop lights work no headlights on
- turn signal works w brake light on - no headlights on
- Brake lights work - no headlights on
- Turn headlights on I have tail lights
- Turn headlights on and turn signals work
- TURN HEAD LIGHTS ON I HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS (NO CHANGE IN BRIGHTNESS)mm

There are three wires for LED tail lights - black ground - white turn light and red brake.

Andy
1952 F1

Last edited by adileo; 09-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Jersey Devil

Default Re: electrical question

Andy
If you want the old “battery and ground” telephone man to help you out, let me know.

Tom
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The brake circuit should be hot all the time. It is wire through the light control switch connection that is connected back to fuse panel. Turn signals make it a bit more completed because the brake wiring then routes from the light control switch through the turn signals to the tail lights. Not sure about how yours is wired with the three separate connectors at the tail light. The turn signal is normally shared with the brake light filament in an incandescent bulb. One filament is the tail light and the other filament is the brake light. The brake light is interrupted to function as a turn signal when the brakes are applied or the same filament is used for just the turn signal when the brakes are not applied. I have not worked with the three separate wires at the tail light, but would assume it would require a different configuration at the turn signal to work. The headlights shouldn't be a factor at the turn signal though, so not sure what that interaction would be. I would guess that the headlights are not directly the issue, but the fact that the normal tail lights are on when the headlights are on is the source of the problem. Try just the parking lights, with the tail lights on but not the headlights and see if you have the same issue. I'm also guessing that the turn signal is not going to work with the three wire set up in the tail lights. I would try just connecting two of the wire and see if that works. One wire for the tail light function and one wire for the combined brake and turn signal function and not using the third wire.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
adileo

Thanks gents

Yes same issue with parking (no headlights) on.

The three wires on led- one is ground. The other two. You think it may make a difference if I have them reversed?

I should mention the 39 headlight works by turning horn button. I just noticed the horn also not working properly it just chips quick when depressed

Andy
1952 F1

Last edited by adileo; 09-09-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sorry, I misread the three wire part of the original post, not awake yet I guess! I will correct my post. Any way you can sketch out how you have your car wired up? Might be an issue in the light control switch itself if the horn is also acting up. It is fun to get to!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
adileo

Thanks Jerry only saving grace to this is the car is up on lift. Access no issue.

I’m at work, will try to draw it out tonight.

Andy
1952 F1
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
Thanks gents

The three wires on led- one is ground. The other two. You think it may make a difference if I have them reversed?
As per my reply to your other thread, I would be surprised if reversing the two lighting wires attached to the LED light doesn't fix it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
adileo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
As per my reply to your other thread, I would be surprised if reversing the two lighting wires attached to the LED light doesn't fix it.

It did indeed.

Thanks all! Now I need to determine why horn is dead. I pulled the cup off at bottom of steering column and cleaned grease out but still no good.

Andy
1952 F1
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
Tinker

Horns don't get used a lot and might need some work. I beep my 38 horn alot just to keep it going or moving. Honking at neighbors when they wave, instead of waving.

Pull the horns and put them on a straight battery (worked on my 38), see if they clear out. Little penetrating fluid won't hurt. Having the same issue with my 36. Haven't used it much. Straight battery leads on the horn will let you know if there is a wiring issue anyway.

Best of luck

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote