Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default Conversion to 6 volt, positive ground, LED headlights

My 53' Mercury is still the 6 volt positive ground electrical system, running off the original 35 amp generator. I have included a video showing: daylight, sealed beam and LED headlights, on the same road. The new LED bulbs are mounted in a 7" Hella headlight housing, are a direct plug and play conversion.

The cost:
Hella lights: $71.16
LED bulbs: $32.89
Total cost: $104.05

The Hella lights came from:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/9...t=lower-funnel

The bulbs came from LEDLight.com:

https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlam...-polarity.aspx

LED headlamp works either positive ground or negative ground. Wide voltage from 5 to 30 Volts AC or DC. No polarity, Bi polarity, non polarized. Made with 16 CREE 2525 smd for super bright. The headlamp lights on both sides. Dual filament both a low and high beam. The low beam Lumen output is up to 1200 Lumens. The high beam is up to 1800 Lumens. Great for vintage and classic cars. Long life up to 30,000 hours. CE and Rohs certified. Made with aluminum to keep the CREE lamps cool so they can operate for a long life. The circuit board is constant current so the leds should not flicker. Available in White 6500k. Perfectly works with product 69854 is a 7" round semi-sealed housing and 68721 is a 5"x7" rectangle housing. Both these semi-sealed housings use the P43T bulb. This allows both the housing and the bulb to be upgraded for the older vehicles that are 6 volt positive ground or 12 volt positive ground. Uses only 800mA for low beam and 1.4A for high beam. CE Rohs. Compatible with: 1949 Plymouth convertible

utube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WPn8gKSpI&t=17s

Pictures:
Going from top left, then right to end then back and down to next row, etc:

1. Hella bulb in place
2. original bulb in place
3. original bulb plugged in w/original plug
4. Hella bulb plugged in w/original plug (no modifications)
5. Lights side by side
6. Back side of lights
7. LED bulb
8. Original bulb light pattern
9. LED bulb light pattern
10. Original bulb on left, LED bulb on right , light pattern
11. Hella box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9665.jpg (69.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9667.jpg (72.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9668.jpg (54.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9669.jpg (51.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9670.jpg (62.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9676.jpg (48.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9679.jpg (51.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9656.jpg (24.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9651.jpg (25.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9653.jpg (27.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9695.jpg (69.6 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-10-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Conversion to 6 volt, positive ground, LED headlights

Looks like an excellent way to go for those with 6 volt systems.
Did my 12 conversion about a month ago with the only issue being that the lens/reflectors were loose after assy. (a few dabs of strategically placed RTV cured the problem.)
Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Mr. Will

Was thinking about this for my 36. Would they have the reflectors and bulbs for that conversion?
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Will View Post
Was thinking about this for my 36. Would they have the reflectors and bulbs for that conversion?
They are out there but pricey.
They are 12 volt but the 6 volt bulbs that are available should work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-1935-1...ry!06108!US!-1

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 09-07-2019 at 04:22 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Pat/Ohio

Thanks for this info! The video was amazing! I just ordered mine for my '50 Ford.
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Looks like an excellent way to go for those with 6 volt systems.
Did my 12 conversion about a month ago with the only issue being that the lens/reflectors were loose after assy. (a few dabs of strategically placed RTV cured the problem.)
Since I have power windows (4 motors), power top, and 4 way power seats (two motors), it was going to be too much of a project to convert all of them over to 12 volt, even with voltage reducers. So this turned out the to be the easiest way to go.

I am also doing a LED conversion on my tail lights, so stay tuned, that is much more dramatic. All I need to do is get the pictures taken and the video completed and I will post it.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-07-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Since I have power windows (4 motors), power top, and 4 way power seats (two motors), it was going to be too much of a project to convert all of them over to 12 volt, even with voltage reducers. So this turned out the to be the easiest way to go.

I am also doing a LED conversion on my tail lights, so stay tuned, that is much more dramatic. All I need to do is get the pictures take and the video completed and I will post it.
Running the windows and top etc. on 12 volts would be interesting though.
Probably operate at super fast speed.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Running the windows and top etc. on 12 volts would be interesting though.
Probably operate at super fast speed.
When I watch The Long Long Trailer, while they are in the Mercury dealer show room, and Lucy is playing with top, that top is twice as fast as mine. Mine are the screw jacks not hydraulic, like the earlier and later tops.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-09-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
fortyonerag

^^^^I have screw jack top mechanism on my 41. Its a very slow operation.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
When I watch The Long Long Trailer, while they are in the Mercury dealer show room, and Lucy is playing with top, that top is twice as fast as mine. Mine are the screw jacks not hydraulic, like the earlier and later tops.
The tail light posting is at:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...56#post1798056
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
Pat/Ohio

Merc Cruzer....Let me ask you....Is there a particular reason for purchasing the Hella head light housing opposed to the housings recommended (DOT compliant) by LEDlight.com? Just curious as I ordered the lamp housings recommended on the LEDlight.com website by mistake. They should arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #12
meric42

In the last two days I tried twice to order LED bulbs from them and both times they have refunded my PayPal payment without telling me why??? I have emailed them to ask why but no reply as yet

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Merc Cruzer....Let me ask you....Is there a particular reason for purchasing the Hella head light housing opposed to the housings recommended (DOT compliant) by LEDlight.com? Just curious as I ordered the lamp housings recommended on the LEDlight.com website by mistake. They should arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks,
Pat
When they arrive, give them a try and see how they work. I would be very interested to hear what you think of the lights. It would be great to see pictures of the lights.

My research into the DOT compliant lights, was that they are required to project 15% of the light upward for overhead signs.

The description of the LEDlight's recommend headlight housing:

Headlight housing 7" round DOT complaint with T10 5 Watt parking bulb. This assembly allows you to install your own led, hid, xenon or halogen bulb. The assembly accepts P43T H4 headlight bulb. These DOT headlamp assemblies are designed for USA right hand traffic LHD. The headlight housing is made of plastic. The assembly is CE and Rohs listed. The headlight semi sealed housing assembly has a clear lens. This assembly works great for vintage and classic vehicles with older faded glass or plastic headlights. For 6 volt positive ground and 6 volt negative ground vehicles you can use our 6 volt led bulbs and upgrade you old vehicle to led lighting. Easy DIY just remove existing headlight assembly and install this semi sealed headlight assembly usually by 3 screws. This headlight works good for motorcycles, scooters and tractors that are old and either 6 or 12 positive and negative ground systems. Comes a pair of 2 headlight assemblies. A rubber boot covers your bulb to keep out the environment as much as possible. Compatible with: H6024 size 52 Mercedes 220 w1872d1 1949 Plymouth convertible

The Hella Housing:

The Hella's are a metal housing with a glass lens.

The low beam will yield about four times as much light down trail as a standard sealed beam and twice as much on high beam. A wedge of light on the right side lights up trailside features. These offer tight beam control and don’t spread light overhead like DOT conversions. That facilitates the use of upgraded bulbs without offending oncoming traffic. Hella E-code headlights conform to European Standards. Not DOT approved.

Hella's engineering of headlights. Hella's lights are a better product with a long running history and reputation. I also felt the lens patter on the Hella's was better than the recommended ones. (see attached pictures). I am sure that LEDlight's recommendations are made to comply with current DOT standards, state laws and insurance recommendations for products sold to be used in cars on the public highways and roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED headlight housing.jpg (52.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Hella_002395031_Round_H4_Conversion_Headlight_Housing.jpg (37.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Hella_002395031_Round_H4_Conversion_Headlight_Housing_Back.jpg (31.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9664.jpg (61.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9665.jpg (69.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-13-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
In the last two days I tried twice to order LED bulbs from them and both times they have refunded my PayPal payment without telling me why??? I have emailed them to ask why but no reply as yet
I emailed Zack at LEDbulbs about the issue. Let me know when he responds.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
The explanation is:

In a message dated 9/14/2019 10:58:43 AM Mountain Standard Time,

[email protected] writes:

Dear Roy,

Due to credit card guidelines LEDLight.com does not ship to a 3rd party address "Freight forwarder" or a international address. A Canadian customer can place a order using UPS Standard to Canada as the shipping option. A international customer can place a order by 250.00 USD miniumum payment by wire transfer.

Sincerely,Zack
Sales Department
LEDLight.com

Do you know someone in the states that could buy them and then send them to you?

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #16
Merc Cruzer

I know this is a big ask, but is anyone traveling to New Zealand in the next few months?

Sample the beloved vintages of the Marlborough Wine Region in Blenheim, an agricultural town in the heart of New Zealand’s renowned wine hub. More than 20 wineries are just a hop, skip and a corkscrew away from Blenheim, where a stream of cafes and restaurants serve up tasty, artisan fare. One of the sunniest towns in New Zealand, Blenheim is the perfect destination for foodies and wine lovers who love to soak up the sun while sipping the fruits of a vineyard’s labor.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
meric42

Quote:
I know this is a big ask, but is anyone traveling to New Zealand in the next few months?

Sample the beloved vintages of the Marlborough Wine Region in Blenheim, an agricultural town in the heart of New Zealand’s renowned wine hub. More than 20 wineries are just a hop, skip and a corkscrew away from Blenheim, where a stream of cafes and restaurants serve up tasty, artisan fare. One of the sunniest towns in New Zealand, Blenheim is the perfect destination for foodies and wine lovers who love to soak up the sun while sipping the fruits of a vineyard’s labor.
You should be working for the NZ Tourism Board

Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
meric42

Quote:

We'll be in the USA (Las Vegas & Tulsa at least) next April for Viva Las Vegas and a friends daughters wedding but still cant buy from these guys and get them delivered in the US from here in NZ.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #19
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
We'll be in the USA (Las Vegas & Tulsa at least) next April for Viva Las Vegas and a friends daughters wedding but still cant buy from these guys and get them delivered in the US from here in NZ.
I just send you a PM, I think we can find a way to get the bulbs to you.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-17-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #20
Stephan

i tried this with high quality 6V LED and they flicker at idle speed. I was told by Octane Lighting that it is normal and goes away at driving speeds. That is true; however, i went to Halogen and they work fine although not as bright as the LED.

Has anyone else had this issue? At first i thought about going to a 50 amp generator, but, prefer not to.
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote