Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
copgib

Default Collector Car Insurance

Do any of you have Grundy Collector Car Insurance? I was wondering how they are for Insurance coverage. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
d.

Default Re: Collector Car Insurance

I've used Grundy insurance for my Model A's for over 20 years now with no issues.
Low cost, agreed replacement value, excellent coverage, and generous mileage/ usage privileges.
An actual human agent also answers the phone after a few rings...every time...what's not to like?!
I would certainly recommend Grundy as a reliable insurance carrier.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
copgib

Thanks for the input! Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
barnstuf

My local insurance agency handles Grundy insurance and I have had my policy about 25 years, no problem, but I have never had a claim so cannot write from that point of view.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
TerryH

I had Grundy for several years, until someone mentioned some of their restrictions on how you drive your Model A. So I called Grundy directly, and asked to speak to someone about my policy and any restrictions I might have. I told them I am retired, but like to drive my Model A several times a week, that I usually drive it to the Post Office, grocery store, and other routine errands, but not long distances. I was then told their coverage is designed for folks only driving their cars occasionally and not routinely as I was doing. They were very clear on that, and suggested with my driving habits I should look elsewhere for coverage. I had no other problem with Grundy and know many are very happy with them....I am just relaying what I was told about my driving, and they reiterated only for occasional, not repetitive use....and I told them again it wasn’t for driving to work...I was retired....they understood that. So I decided to go with AAA, who have no restrictions, other than not for driving to work....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #6
ronn

get the largest and easiest...........

JC Taylor
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I had Grundy for several years, until someone mentioned some of their restrictions on how you drive your Model A. So I called Grundy directly, and asked to speak to someone about my policy and any restrictions I might have. I told them I am retired, but like to drive my Model A several times a week, that I usually drive it to the Post Office, grocery store, and other routine errands, but not long distances. I was then told their coverage is designed for folks only driving their cars occasionally and not routinely as I was doing. They were very clear on that, and suggested with my driving habits I should look elsewhere for coverage. I had no other problem with Grundy and know many are very happy with them....I am just relaying what I was told about my driving, and they reiterated only for occasional, not repetitive use....and I told them again it wasn’t for driving to work...I was retired....they understood that. So I decided to go with AAA, who have no restrictions, other than not for driving to work....
That's surprising. I have Grundy on my car (77 trans am) and the price for agreed value is very cheap in my mind. I pay less than $200 for $30k coverage. I specifically asked (called and talked to them) about misc. use, and their response was that 'they encourage people to drive their cars'. Some of the examples I used were ice cream runs, driving the country side because it was a nice day, etc. They had no problem at all. Some of the coverages I saw said the car should be used for antique car events only. Maybe you were too specific about going to the grocery store and such.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
WHN

To many questions about what might or might not be covered.

We have used J. C. Taylor for over 40 years. No problems, agreed valve, drive car how you want to. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Jeff P. / MN

Every year before renewal time I review my collector car values and shop around for rates. Here is what I have for this year....
Cars: 1913 T, 1930 A, 1991 Miata.
Grundy $180.00
Competitor A $217.00 (Taylor)
Competitor B $235.00 (Hagerty)
I renewed with Grundy for the 25th year.....never have had a claim.
They have the same restrictions as Taylor
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
ronn

with Taylor- no photos, no limits and a phone call or email to add or subtract.

BTW- Jeff, you must have very low coverage to insure 3 cars for 180 a yr.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
john in illinois

I had my AV8 hotrod and my Tudor with Grundy. We like to tour a lot in the summer in the A. I asked them if I could take a trip through several states this summer.
They said no that it was using the car as a daily driver.
I asked Hagerty the same question and they said no probllem.

Both are very easy to deal with.

John
Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
BTW- Jeff, you must have very low coverage to insure 3 cars for 180 a yr.
Exactly my thoughts I pay that per car times three (same price Grundy and Hagerty within 20 bucks total I priced both of them)
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Mulletwagon

Pretty happy with Haggerty. Probably best to get direct quotes and compare coverage.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
ModelAMike1930

I have haggerty also both model a fords and my 1998 Eldorado. Very reasonable.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #15
TerryH

It was the routine nature of it....they told me they like owners to use their cars occasionally, but not in a weekly routine....which for me was never exactly the same, but similar. I know they are good and highly rated, but I left after I explained that and was told that wasn’t best for them.....go figure.....that was enough for me, and AAA has been super easy to deal with besides, and I’m not paying any more either. AAA just doesn’t want the car driven to work...otherwise zero restrictions......
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #16
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I had my AV8 hotrod and my Tudor with Grundy. We like to tour a lot in the summer in the A. I asked them if I could take a trip through several states this summer.
They said no that it was using the car as a daily driver.
I asked Hagerty the same question and they said no probllem.

Both are very easy to deal with.

John
Odd. I took a tour last year. 2,200 miles in my MGB. I asked Grundy if that would be OK since the car would not me in a locked garage every night. They said no problem and thanked me for calling them to let them know.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #17
devoreb

Hugh
I had Grundy for approximately 7 years until I finished my roadster. I was on my way to a club meeting on a Sunday afternoon and was t boned by a very large deer. I submitted a claim and in talking to the adjuster who finally showed up after 3 weeks asked the first question where were you going. I responded with I was going to a club meeting. His response "are you sure"?
I did all the restoration work myself and I think did a good job. The damage to the car was the passenger door was caved in, the cowl light destroyed and the cowl panel needed to be repainted. The check came a few days later of a whooping $600.00 dollars. To say the least I now have Haggertys and they have no restrictions. hope this helps.
Bill
devoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #18
Swingle

I have Hagerty, insure my 3 cars with them.

Days of old, Hagerty wanted you to just drive your cars for car club stuff, no going out for cruises - just club events and parades. They have changed, and want you to drive the cars, just not to work.

A few years back, had some damage done to the car, and called it in for a claim, which they handed off to a local adjuster. The Adjuster calls to set up a time, but due to my work schedule, would not be home until after 6 pm.

Don't know if this cut into her "Happy Hour" time or what, but she asked if I could leave the car parked outside so they could come out and look at the damage. I told them no, as I am not going to leave my antique car sitting outside.

She then asked if I could leave my 40x60 shed unlocked, so they could come over and look at the car. Of course, I told them no to this also.

Of course, this is not the fault of Hagerty, as it was an Adjuster in my area that they had on call to go out and look at my car.

I called Hagerty, went as far up as I could and told them about this - that they wanted me to leave my antique car sitting outside while I was at work, or to leave my shed unlocked while I was gone - just so it fit into their schedule.

Hagerty dropped me a letter in the mail, apologizing for what happened. They told me to have the car repaired, send them the bill, and they would cover the cost.

I also have their Roadside Assistance. Everytime I have used them, both on modern and antique car, I have had problems with their service.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #19
Forddan

My Hagerty contract, for my 1929 Tudor, that I believe is standard as I didn't request anything special says :

COVERAGE IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED COMPLIANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS, UNLESS HAGERTY OR THE COMPANY AGREES OTHERWISE:

STORAGE While not in use, my vehicle(s) will be kept at its principal storage address in a solidly constructed, completely enclosed and locked structure (unless Hagerty or the Company agrees otherwise).

USE

1. My vehicle(s) will be used on a limited basis consistent with the operation of a collectible vehicle such as occasional pleasure drives and club / hobby activities.

2. My vehicle(s) will not be used frequently for regular driving such as driving to and from work or school, shopping, errands, general transportation or back-up use.
-‐--------------------------------'
The wording : Pleasure drives and hobby activities are broad. A country side drive, that you do occasionally in the year fits there. A hobby activity can be drive the car "occasionally " on an interstate tour, etc etc.

But I can not go to buy my coffee every day with the Tudor. That is clear, as it is not more occasional.

I feel comfortable with those conditions.

Last edited by Forddan; 06-19-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #20
Forddan

Following my previous posting what I will do today is call Hagerty to increase my annual driving miles.

Being new on the Model A hobby and not knowing precisely what activities I will be involved with the Club, my contract is for 700 annual miles. Since the snow melted in MA (~ April) I have already driven the car some 400 miles.
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote