Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default 1955 Splash Pan ARGENT SILVER Color

Does anybody know of a modern spray paint that matches the old ARGENT color Ford used to paint the splash pans??? I just want to bring that spray can down to my local auto body supply shop and have them match it reasonable close in a quart can so I can paint the pan. I believe the air cleaner housing was also originally this ARGENT color in the mid 50's y-blocks.
I google " FORD ARGENT SILVER " and get 100's of different silver paints.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 1955 Splash Pan ARGENT SILVER Color

The TBird parts places sell a spray can of the Argent (CASCO Is one ) Carpenter probably has it, as well as any of the early Ford parts houses.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I purchased a quart can of it from TCP Global but I had to spray it with a touch up gun for a 51 Mercury dash insert. I wanted more control that a rattle can gives. It was better quality paint than comes in a rattle can too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Whatever you do, don't buy ANY of the silver spray cans from hardware store or department store. They just don't hold up, not any brand, not even Rust-O-Leum silver.
If you want good quality that will last, buy the real thing; Ford Argent Silver. Most of the resto parts suppliers sell it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
steve fritz

Thanks guys.....I was NOT going to spray paint it anyway....I was just asking for a correct spray paint brand JUST so I could buy the spray can and bring it to my auto paint store for them to match that color in a professional product to use with gun , with proper reducers and hardener.
Thanks for your input.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
bobss396

I used an Argent Silver wheel paint on my splash pan, it might be a Duplicolor item. It went on sort of flat like the OG finish from the factory.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Fortunateson

Anytime the "Aregent Silver" issue comes up I have a laugh. I suppose Ford was trying to be up-scale using Argent in describing silver as Argent is French for silver! However, getting the correct silver is important...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
paul2748

Check this company out. They have some very good products and may have the paint you are looking for in quart cans.

www.hirschauto.com
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Anytime the "Aregent Silver" issue comes up I have a laugh. I suppose Ford was trying to be up-scale using Argent in describing silver as Argent is French for silver! However, getting the correct silver is important...

Not trying to be disrespectful here at all, but I saw the posters' question as an opportunity to point out that not all silver enamels are equal, in fact that Ford Argent is superior to the many different brands I have tried.
Additionally, don't even try to clear coat over the various brands of silver enamel, you will immediately be disappointed in how it looks.
Try wiping off an air cleaner that had been painted with other brands of silver enamel using solvent. Guess what, the paint wipes right off, but not so with Argent
Ford Argent dries glossy, as if there is some special acrylic the other brands don't use. Pick any name brand silver enamel that is labelled as "gloss silver". It really does not dry glossy, but I think they try to fool you because it is shiny when new, but that shine wears off real quick, and many of the silver enamels are pourous to the point that they really don't protect the metal well against rust. But Argent DOES.
Here's a test. Take a chain link fence post and paint it with a name brand silver enamel then take another post and paint it with Ford Argent and leave them both out in the weather. In no time at all you will be convinced that the name brand silver doesn't cut the mustard.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
bobss396

I know Concours Ford sells it in spray cans, like I said a local speed shop has it for wheels. Look at any splash pan, the finish was never shiny. The wheel paint I used went on flat and I like the way it looks. I did the top with the silver, the flip side with POR15.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote