Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
twostickmutt

Default 39 standard speedometer

on the back of my speedometer there is a small hole. it's probably hard to see but I drew an arrow to it. is that for lubrication or for something else. I couldn't see any felt or anything in the hole . thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180127_061024.jpg (50.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by twostickmutt; 01-27-2018 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling
twostickmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: 39 standard speedometer

your speedometer back looks different than my 39 std. but are you missing the trip meter reset shaft?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
rotorwrench

There were several manufacturers of speedos for the 39 models and there were differences depending on engine type and quality level, ie 60HP or 85HP, standard or deluxe, car or truck. It is missing a trip meter reset but it may not have a trip meter. The mechanism frame inside has a locating peg on some as well as the two screws that hold the frame in the body of the instrument. Most speedos only have a plugged hole to lube the main shaft and it would be on the frame where the cable assembly attach nut threads in. I don't think the little hole next to the locating peg is for lubricant or it would be sealed in some way if it was. It is likely just for design flexibility of the frame or possibly for a trip meter shaft. These old instruments have to be disassembled to perform a thorough cleaning and lubrication job.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
twostickmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
There were several manufacturers of speedos for the 39 models and there were differences depending on engine type and quality level, ie 60HP or 85HP, standard or deluxe, car or truck. It is missing a trip meter reset but it may not have a trip meter. The mechanism frame inside has a locating peg on some as well as the two screws that hold the frame in the body of the instrument. Most speedos only have a plugged hole to lube the main shaft and it would be on the frame where the cable assembly attach nut threads in. I don't think the little hole next to the locating peg is for lubricant or it would be sealed in some way if it was. It is likely just for design flexibility of the frame or possibly for a trip meter shaft. These old instruments have to be disassembled to perform a thorough cleaning and lubrication job.
trip reset is there. i'm just a lousy picture taker. sorry bout that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180127_122020.jpg (54.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
38bill

That's a Stewart Warner speedo. I took my SW apart and cleaned/oiled it while apart. Unfortunately I don't remember where that hole goes to.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
twostickmutt

thanks everybody
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
rotorwrench

I looked at one of my old Motorcycle SW speedometer and found that it has a very small brass plug in that hole next to the locating peg. The bore of that only goes in about 1/2" before the casting ends for it. It doesn't align with anything that would require lubrication. It has a straight shot alignment with the rotating magnet inside. The rotating magnets on these are kind of unique in that they have a gap in one spot of the circumference of it. The gap has a very small metal piece attached with a screw there that partially covers the gap in the magnet and is adjustable. The hole on the frame in question may have had something to do with the adjustment of that at manufacture. I've got a lot of information on these old SW units but none of it has any specific information about the magnet or any adjustments to it. Most adjustments are done on the clock spring that is connected to the drag cup which is in turn connected to the speed needle so that fine speed corrections can be accomplished.

There used to be speedometer shops in most large cities that could service and calibrate speedometers. They also carried bulk speedometer inner drive teleflex cable, ratio adapters, and right angle gearboxes as well as repair parts for the most common brands. The customers were mostly police departments but some commercial freight movers were paid by the mile so the damn things had to have some accuracy to them for the odometer readings to be correct. These shops along with radio and TV repair shops have kind of dwindled down to a few specialty shops around the country. Not too many left out there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
bobwellsnoveltyshop

Hi, if you take the case off you can see the brass round rod that sticks out from the inner speedometer, I would say that it is used for alignment when the speedometer is assembled.
BILL WELLS
bobwellsnoveltyshop is offline   Reply With Quote