Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Dennis Jarrell

Default 12x2 Brakes

The 12x2 self energizing bendix style brakes that Drakes, Speedway and a few others sell must be some type of OEM components that don't cost $600 to buy. 48-53 F2 Maybe or something later?
Dennis Jarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 12x2 Brakes

I use the stock 60s time period Ford F100 bake parts which are still available and can be found for very good prices. Problem is you need the backing plates! I use the F1 backing plates, but there are two issues, one the plates are getting a little harder to find (and costing more) AND you also have to have the F1 hubs. Early F100 parts will also work but about the same issues. I have articles (but have never attempted it myself) on modifying certain years of backing plates to work with different years of common brake parts. Bottom line is (as far as I know) all of the brake parts are easy to come by and fairly cheap, it is the backing plate that are harder to get.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
deucemac

I have F-2 brakes and Buick finned drums on my roadster. Bought the ford backing plates complete with shoes and all hardware for $30. They are bendix self energizing and cost just slightly less that the repo Lincolns and work just as well. Easy install. The chroming killed me thought!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
skidmarks

F2 and 250 is what that repop if based on. The backing plate is sorta like a early lincoln. The lincoln was 1-3/4 by 12.

You can also use some buick backing plates that matched the finned buick drum. I have a jig for machining out buick backing plates to fit early ford spindles and banjo rears
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
rich b

The repop Lincoln style brakes that MT, Wilson Welding, and Speedway sell use newly
manufactured backing plates that match the offset of the Lockheed brakes so they will
work with original Ford drums (1-3/4" shoes) or with the repop cast iron drums (2" shoes).

MT and Wilson manufacture their own parts; not sure where Speedway's come from currently; but I'm pretty sure I heard they are now importing their own version.

The '52-'56 F2/F-250 backing plates have a different offset and while they work good with the finned aluminum Buick drums; they won't work with Ford drums.

Another option would be to look at the Bendix style conversions to original Lockheed plates that Brian Bass does.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote