Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #21
hotcoupe

Default Re: Painting Over Water !!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting discussion, Ian, thanx for starting it. Can you tell us what precautions do you take with your shop air to avoid air borne moisture?
Thanx,
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
Interesting discussion, Ian, thanx for starting it. Can you tell us what precautions do you take with your shop air to avoid air borne moisture?
Thanx,
Tom
When i set up to paint at my house i normally do the following.

I have an air drier on my compressor. Some days i would need it other days i wouldnt. Water in your lines in not good, period when i comes to painting. My buddy has one from harbor freight that actually seems to work pretty well...

I "hot box" everything. This actually keeps the air born humidity away from the parts. Actually does the opposite of cold metal gathering moisture, warm metal repels it. After i have everything sanded i blow of the floor, then blow of the parts with compressed air. Then i wet the floor with a watering can so im walking on a wet floor and my spray gun doesnt kick it up dirt. Next, blow the parts off with air again, intermediately after tack rag everything. at this time pcs have started to cool down but are still warmer than the air temp. Finally, lay on the paint with 2 coats. First coat medium with higher psi to break the paint down small and smooth. When i can touch that first coat with the back i my hand, i then lay a heavy coat with several passes, fast moving gun. This second fast coat makes sure you do not have a stripes of orange peel. If you do it right you will have a very low peel with the looks of an extremely high build. The mils are not very thick on the pictures i posted. Those where just 2 coats of paint one after the other with only maybe 2 minutes between the coats.

I normally try to paint on cooler dry days. Some like to paint when its raining because airborne dirt is at its minimum. I never paint when it rains unless i have to...
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #23
Karl

Years ago I had my 1967 Sunbeam Alpine restored
The car was stripped down to bare metal and spent the next 3 weeks having the rust cut out, then patch panels welded in and then filled over. Then and only then it got Epoxy Prime and paint. Now 20 years later the paint is Bubbling up and falling off in large sheets . The panels underneath appear clean and rust free. It would appear that there is a lack of adhesion between the steel and the primer -I suspect Moisture is the reason -Karl