Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
klev

Default 1960 wagon west

This is my first post, though I have been on the newer Ford Truck forums for years - since I have three 4X4s: two '92s and a '94.

So, what brings me here? I am buying a 1960 Country Sedan, similar to the Country Squire in which, brand new in 1960, my family (Mom, Dad, three kids) took a coast-to-coast (and back!) summer trip. (A few years later, it was in the Country Squire that I passed my long-anticipated driving test.)

I have the Daily Log I kept on that long ago cross-country trip and intend to duplicate as much of our original route as possible in the Country Sedan since the car is in South Dakota and its new home will be in California. The route will take me through The Badlands, Yellowstone, the Tetons, SLC, Wendover and Lake Tahoe.

The car has its original 352/2 barrel and three speed Cruise-O-Matic and has been restored and cared for as part of the Ken Triplett collection most of its recent life.

I anticipate an adventure and, though I know there is no guaranty against breakdown, I hope to be reasonably prepared. Before the start of the trip, we will be adding seatbelts and replacing the wide white bias-ply rubber with radials - (keeping the OEM wheels and bias ply tires for their originality).

I need some advice on tire/wheel size. Should I replace the 14s with 15s? And what width wheel, what size tire?

I will be bringing an ignition point set, fan belts, generator brushes and some tools - plus my AAA card. The drive is planned for early October, after the hottest weather and before the snow (I hope).

Any specific advice or tips appreciated.

Happy Motoring! - and wish me luck ....

Last edited by klev; 09-02-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: not restored changed to: restored
klev is offline   Reply With Quote