Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Marcel13

Default Carburetor choices

My 1931 Model A has a Stromberg 97 setup. Runs OK but I want to go back to original as possible. Zenith is more expensive, cast iron. Tilllotson is zinc cast and reasonable. I'm buying new... Just can'r decide on my own as I'm new to owning
a Model A...I'm also going to sell my Stromberg set up...
IMG_8460.jpgIMG_0346.jpg
Marcel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
ModAfan

Default Re: Carburetor choices

You might want to take a look at this one. It is a modern Zenith, model #13922. You can do a search and see what owners think of them.

http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2..._Code=ZEN13922
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Welcome Marcel,

Zenith carbs are not that expensive if you buy an original and have it rebuilt. It will more than likely be better than the new ones. That and you can do the rebuild yourself. Just get the jets from Renners Corner-they are flow tested.

Mike
Old 12-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Patrick L.

I agree with using an original Zenith. They can be bought inexpensively and easily rebuilt or bought as rebuilt.
The Tillotson and Marvel are good carburetors, but, not original. There were some new Tillotsons being sold for awhile but I think they were troublesome.
The newer Zenith's [ tow motor carburetor] look a bit different than an original.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
2manycars

If you want original, the Zenith is the one to get. I have had a few friends buy the brand new ones from Brattons or Snyders with great results.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Unless the Stromberg 97 is giving problems just keep it until you find a Zenith to rebuild. Get a copy of the Judging Standards as the correct Zenith will probably cost the same as the incorrect one. I suggest you look for the correct Zenith at the Big Three Swap meet in San Diego in February. In case you are three thousand miles from San Diego you should include your general location in your profile so someone can suggest something closer.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
DougVieyra

Both Zenith AND Tillitson carburetors are very good carburetors. As Zenith is cast iron, they generally do not warp. A great many Model A drivers, while liking the Zenith, find that the Tillitson carb. performs a bit better and has good reliability. The weakness of older Tillitsons is that they are cast from 'pot metal'; an excellent material for a reasonably long time - but not so good for a long time of aging - warping between the two halves sometimes becomes an issue. Not a critical one, as some file-matching is an easy fix.

I have used a 'properly rebuilt' Tillitson carb. with excellent results for over twenty-five years, and am very happy with it.

I also have (on another Model A) used a 'properly rebuilt' Zenith carb. for over 50 years, with excellent results, and am very happy with it.

As has been said, the Zenith carb. is what Ford had designed and built for use on his Factory cars. Tillitson is what was widely used as an excellent replacement carb. for over 80 years - so it IS a very good and well liked replacement carb. If it is a 'show car' that you are concerned with, then a Zenith is a MUST. Otherwise, either carb. will work with excellent results. In the end, it really becomes a matter of owner preference, prejudice, and past experience. But with your post saying " I want to go back to original as possible", I suspect that you will want to go with a good rebuilt Zenith carburetor.

- Doug Vieyra,
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel13 View Post
My 1931 Model A has a Stromberg 97 setup. Runs OK but I want to go back to original as possible. Zenith is more expensive, cast iron. Tilllotson is zinc cast and reasonable. I'm buying new... Just can'r decide on my own as I'm new to owning
Attachment 251273Attachment 251275
Welcome to the Barn! That is a slick looking ride. I like the color combo.
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModAfan View Post
You might want to take a look at this one. It is a modern Zenith, model #13922. You can do a search and see what owners think of them.

http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2..._Code=ZEN13922

I agree with this guy. It's easy to do a half-baked job of rebuilding a Zenith--any guy with some goofy-size small wrenches can do it. Many people think that replacing the jets, float bowl shutoff valve, and gasket qualifies as "rebuilding", when often the real problem is in unseen plumbing passages; I think that the jets are seldom the problem, unless they're from previous rebuild attempts. Sad to say, but even "professionally" rebuilt carbs can be a problem. If I were going that route, I would patronize Bert's in Colorado--I have heard ONLY good things about them.

Otherwise, I would go with a brand new Zenith 1, which worked a lot better for me than any rebuilt Z I tried. But, it still wasn't good enough during vapor lock season.

The final solution for me was the 13922 Zenith carb mentioned above. No more vapor lock or stalling problems! It is also "balanced" for air filter use, if you're that kind of guy. You do have to adapt the fuel line connections, however.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
ModelAMike1930

I would love to have that setup. Let me know how much you want for it when your ready to sell it.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
Slowplane

I'd consider replacing the copper fuel line with a steel one, soon.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #12
ocpd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplane View Post
I'd consider replacing the copper fuel line with a steel one, soon.
Ismthat for aesthetic reasons or is there a practical side to steel?

Regards,
ocpd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
Chuck Sea/Tac

Copper lines are prone to crack from vibrations, steel, not so much.
People will say " I've ran copper for years, and no problem", but why take uneccessary risks? I have had a brass fitting on my intake for the wolf whistle break from vibration stress.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

I have a late 30's motorbike with a copper fuel line, and it broke from vibration, which work hardens copper lines.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:58 AM   #15
harleynut

Zenith as mentioned above if your looking for original. I have two As one with a rebuilt Zenith and one with a Marvel. I know this goes against the thoughts of guys that have more experience with A carbs than me but I'll take the Marvel any day. I wish I had another to replace the Zenith on my28. When I go to stop with the Zenith the engine wants to stall. I have to pull the hand throttle on quickly to keep it running. The Marvel starts easy....runs well....very pleased with it. But then again, mine are drivers not show cars. Just my two cents.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:23 AM   #16
1930marie

Recently I rebuilt three original Zenith-1's and spent hours jetting them. The majority of the repro jets in my opinion are just a size or two oversized (all flow tested) and then tested one at a time on the car (time consuming). I was able to dial in two spot on, the third has a problem with the air mixture passage. My A is probably the most reliable running car I have. lol. ps. I picked up several Zeniths for $15-$25 each at swapmeets and club meetings. Join your local car club if you haven't already.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #17
slackcat

Quote:

I'm interested too.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
pgerhardt

I am going to go against the tide and recommend you not go with an original Zenith. The model A Zeniths have a design flaw in that the float movement is in line with direction of movement of the car and is effected by inertia. Which can lead to stalling issues when stopping. Some will attest to the fact that playing with the float level can prevent this. However even Zenith felt the problem was serious enough to redesign (rotating the float 90 degrees) their carb for the model B in 1932. Since you are now driving a model A that was built as a good driver not as a fine points car you may not want to fuss with a Zenith to get it dialed in.

I would suggest going with a Marvel carb. It is easily available on E-bay in both rebuilt and not rebuilt forms. While not original equipment, it is period correct, and could be found on many model A's in the thirties, installed by owners who had V-8 envy and wanted a performance boost. Through my research I found that the Marvel was widely praised as the best of the period non-Zenith carbs. My 29 tudor is running beautifully on a Marvel!

Here is a link to one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Scheb...Wb2Sn&vxp=mtr"

And here is a link to a NOS one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-Ford...WfExH&vxp=mtr"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 9.03.28 AM.jpg (39.6 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 12-26-2015 at 11:49 AM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
John Kuhnast

Sent you a private message, Friend of mine had a cracked copper gas line,Fire took the whole car John
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #20
FrankWest

Quote:
I agree original is best, but with the downdraft Stromberg Dual output carb setup your are supposed to get 10 HP more over the 40 HP stock model A engine.
Did you notice much pep from this setup??

If you want to get a zenith carb to make your engine accurate then you should buy an original zenith carb rebuilt or rebuild one yourself for the fun of it. Don't buy a NEW replicator zenith if you want to kept your original engine!

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-26-2015 at 03:17 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote