Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: 8 volt battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
yup, also when flipping on tripped breakers in your house, make a fist and use the knuckles on the back of your right hand to reset it so if for whatever reason it arcs out to your hand your arm muscles will retract pulling your fist away from the panel punching yourself but much better than the alternative.

Also like the age ol "measure twice cut once" applies to electrical wires too but an extra step is measure suspected dead circuit - then measure known live circuit - then measure dead circuit again to make sure its dead. Saved my butt once when my meter decided to wig out and display 14VAC when really I was on 120VAC...

BTW fun info those push button gas BBQ grill sparkers that make your nice blue spark are like 14,000 volts but like .002 amps. Great for potato guns haha
Do Potato Guns make TATER-TOTS?
Bill Owncook
Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #42
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Do Potato Guns make TATER-TOTS?
Bill Owncook
if you fire the potato at a chain link fence you do indeed get yard fries
Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #43
talwrench

When I bought my 30 PU it had a 8 volt battery in it. Soon learned that the slighest bump in the road and my blulbs would burn out. Soon got rid of the 8 volt, problem solved.
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #44
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
yup, also when flipping on tripped breakers in your house, make a fist and use the knuckles on the back of your right hand to reset it so if for whatever reason it arcs out to your hand your arm muscles will retract pulling your fist away from the panel punching yourself but much better than the alternative.

Also like the age ol "measure twice cut once" applies to electrical wires too but an extra step is measure suspected dead circuit - then measure known live circuit - then measure dead circuit again to make sure its dead. Saved my butt once when my meter decided to wig out and display 14VAC when really I was on 120VAC...

BTW fun info those push button gas BBQ grill sparkers that make your nice blue spark are like 14,000 volts but like .002 amps. Great for potato guns haha
Good info . Thanks !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #45
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
As others have stated, there's nothing wrong w/a 6V system. It goes w/out saying that everything has to be in good shape.
There has been lots of suggestions, but nobody mentioned the starter.
What condition is your starter in? Maybe it needs to be overhauled. A poor 6V starter WILL be sluggish in the cold.
If your battery is weak that will compound the problem.
If theres nothing wrong with a 6 volt system , a person can get by with it , if they want too !!! As for the starter , here goes ... The rear bushing in the sdtarter is usually the first to wear and cause starter drag . If a person has no experience with starters, here is the easy way to replace the rear bushing . Remove the starter bendix . Remove the woodruf key from the armature shaft .The rear mounting plate of the starter can be removed without removing the armature and upsetting the 4 starter brushes . Carefully loosen the two long screws that hold the starter together . Grasp the armature shaft while carefully sliding the rear mounting plate off the armature. The rear plate can be slipped of the shaft without upsetting the where the armature rides on the brushes . The old worn out rear bushing can be removed and replaced and the rear mounting plate replaced without upsetting anything . If a person uses care . If a person wants to go farther with the starter overhaul I would recommend only replacing the two carbon brushes . Replacing the two bronze brushes is a job that is best left for an electrical shop if needed . The bronze brushes solder to the field coils and is a close adifficult job that can easily result in a ruined starter or field coils . I always reuse the original bronze brushess . Compare the new brushes with the original brushes . The bronze brushes usually last over a lifetime and even if they show a little wear are still good for maybe another lifetime .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #46
adavis

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Wow....this thread really got a response. I'm glad to be a member of the barn for this very reason. Thank you for all the input.

As it turns out, I took my 6v battery to 3 different shops yesterday and all of them tested it having a bad cell. Looks like I'll be getting a new 6v battery and all should be good.

Thanks again everyone. Now I'm off to find a bbq igniter to launch some potatoes at the fence.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
adavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #47
J Franklin

If you have a BI-MART near you I have had good luck with their 6 volt batteries. I get 7-8 years average.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you have a BI-MART near you I have had good luck with their 6 volt batteries. I get 7-8 years average.
BATTERIES are like EGGS, don't "OVERCOOK" them
Chef Bill
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #49
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
BATTERIES are like EGGS, don't "OVERCOOK" them
Chef Bill
they are also like eggs as its not wise to sit on them either or throw them at others
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #50
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis View Post
Wow....this thread really got a response. I'm glad to be a member of the barn for this very reason. Thank you for all the input.

As it turns out, I took my 6v battery to 3 different shops yesterday and all of them tested it having a bad cell. Looks like I'll be getting a new 6v battery and all should be good.

Thanks again everyone. Now I'm off to find a bbq igniter to launch some potatoes at the fence.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
fyi if you make the potato gun with a 1" diameter barrel those jumbo marshmallows fit perfectly - great fun to fire them at one another
Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #51
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
fyi if you make the potato gun with a 1" diameter barrel those jumbo marshmallows fit perfectly - great fun to fire them at one another
Wonder what would happen, if you BOILED or BAKED the potato, first
My delinquent Friends shot one over the block at a 45 Degree angle, hope it didn't hit anyone! If it did, they'd call him "MR. POTATO HEAD"---Remember those?
Bill Hungry
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #52
Crankster

I remember when manufacturers changed beer & pop cans from the straight walled design they had. I was crestfallen. Oh no! This meant that the tennis ball cannon were no longer practical from easily sourced neighborhood materials. For those who didn't grow up with them, they were a simple device. 7 or 8 cans had both ends removed and joined with duct tape (black hockey tape was traditional) one can on the bottom left intact, with a small hole in the bottom as a touch off. Lighter fluid (or hair spray?) was propellant of choice. A tennis ball was the perfect diameter.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #53
slammin

I hate to drag this enlightening discussion back on topic, but while browsing old posts I ran across one from Jan. 31, 2107 started by smooth one. I tried to post a link, but can't figure out how.
It runs contrary to some of the earlier info in this thread. I find it hard to believe that things have changed in 12 months.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #54
George Miller

You might try jan 31, 2007
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #55
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
I hate to drag this enlightening discussion back on topic, but while browsing old posts I ran across one from Jan. 31, 2107 started by smooth one. I tried to post a link, but can't figure out how.
It runs contrary to some of the earlier info in this thread. I find it hard to believe that things have changed in 12 months.
You post a link by opening the place you want to link to. Next highlight the address and copy it. (cntl "C" on a PC and command "C"). Now go to where you want the link and paste it (cntl "V" on a PC and command "V" on a MAC).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #56
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
You post a link by opening the place you want to link to. Next highlight the address and copy it. (cntl "C" on a PC and command "C"). Now go to where you want the link and paste it (cntl "V" on a PC and command "V" on a MAC). Play with it a little in the "Test Forum".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #57
slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
You might try jan 31, 2007
George, My fat fingers sometime type faster than I think they should. Correct date for the old thread is Jan. 31, 2017 If I was looking for a thread from Jan 31, 2107, I'd have to replace the dead battery in my time machine and I know an 8 volt wouldn't do the trick!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #58
barkleydave

Early in the post there was a statement that they could not covert to 12V due to a 6 volt coil. Coils do not care much about voltage.
Ohms is what is important.
I am 12V and use the following: An old coil 1.4 ohms using an external resistor no problems.
If I run a new coil I would run a 3 ohm coil and no resistor on a 12 V system.
8 Volt system I would stay with the 6 volt 1.4 coil and no resistor.

I use to use an 8 V battery in an old Chris Craft 6cy flathead. 6 volts was a real strain to turn over that bad boy.

Remember the lower the ohms the higher the voltage output.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #59
Purdy Swoft

Exactly ! Though i'm not recommending an 8 volt battery , A model A generator will charge an 8 volt battery . The thing is , if you allready have a nurex internal voltage regulator that takes the place of the third brush installed in the generator , it will only charge a 6 volt battery . Then theres the thing about the bulbs . An 8 volt battery, though it can be made to work , is just not practical for the model A . For a more powerfull electrical system, the 12 volt battery is practical . Positive ground works good for me . If the 12 volt battery is connected positive ground , no wires will need to be changed . The original ammeter will work perfectly . If you take a notion to change back to 6 volt , all that will be necessare is remove the resistor and replace the six volt battery . Just to make this clear , I'm not tring to convince anybody to do anything .This is just for anyone that is interested in practical possibilities .
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #60
TJMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
I use to use an 8 V battery in an old Chris Craft 6cy flathead. 6 volts was a real strain to turn over that bad boy.

For the last couple decades I too have used 8 volt batteries in a 1946 Chris Craft 17 foot runabout that we've had for about 40 years. Works great. I changed to a solid state cut-out switch a few years ago. That was another worthwhile upgrade. No more sticking contacts to drain the battery when the engine was not running.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote