Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
duffer

Default A few questions about grease fittings

I got all the grease fittings under the car pumped with grease but i have a question about the U joint behind trans : how many pumps do i put in there ? do i just keep pumping till no more will go? And the same with the rear axle bearing fitting, how many pumps? And the brass fitting on the water pump how do i grease that? unscrew it? thanks
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
sethkestenbaum

Default Re: A few questions about grease fittings

Duffer, I will let one of the other guys discuss U-Joint and the rear axle bearing grease

With the water pump, on my original, I unscrew the back cap, fill the cap with waterproof grease, and rescrew it. Excess grease can get into your coolant if you use too much... which is no fun.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
RHD

Hi Duffer.
The universal greasing point, say 2 to 3 pumps every 1000 miles.
The rear wheel bearings, one pump only, and not to frequently. See a lube chart. I do mine only once every 4 to 5000 miles.
The waterpump rear nipple. Fill the brass cap with waterpump grease (it must be a waterpump grease) and wind the cap back on. It will force a small amount of grease to lubricate the shaft. Once every 1000 miles is sufficient. Too much grease will clog the radistor, expecially if the wrong grease is use.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

most guys recommend removing the speedo turtle off the torque tube and pumping the u-joint cavity till it starts coming out. there have been reports it can take a full tube..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

If you have a leakless w/pump you DON'T grease it.. Do NOT put more than one pump in rear wheel brgs in a year, and do the u-joint as Mitch says, BUT if no noises I might do just a few pumps. There was a thread a short while ago that somebody had pumped so much in that it was now in his transmission. Try a search. Use common sense. More is not necessarily better. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Ed in Maine

With regard to the rear fitting on the water pump, I have had the misfortune of getting too much grease into the coolant. It plugs up the radiator and the only way to remove the grease is to remove the top tank and rod out the radiator. Cleaners will not work. Now, I lightly grease the rear area on assembly, and after 2000 miles, remove the pump and relubricate manually. I don't use the rear grease fitting! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
With regard to the rear fitting on the water pump, I have had the misfortune of getting too much grease into the coolant. It plugs up the radiator and the only way to remove the grease is to remove the top tank and rod out the radiator. Cleaners will not work. Now, I lightly grease the rear area on assembly, and after 2000 miles, remove the pump and relubricate manually. I don't use the rear grease fitting! Ed
If it's just grease blocking the tops of the tubes, then I'd think Cascade would clean it out. If not Cascade, then I'd remove the radiator and use gasoline to disolve the grease. Pour some gas in and let it soak and shake it around.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote