Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
steve s

Default Turn signal effectiveness?

Maybe it's just me, but it happened a few times this weekend--when there happened to be a lot Model A's in town and I had occasion to follow cars with those slick little turn signals that fit between the bumper bars--that I was totally unimpressed with their effectiveness. After sitting there awhile at an intersection behind such a car, I would eventually notice, "Oh, look, he's got turn signals". To my mind, that's not good enough; they should jump out at you. I wonder if using two sets would be feasible/better?

They may be fine at night--no data on that--but I think they are of marginal usefulness on a sunny day.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 05-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: Turn signal effectiveness?

Get LogoLites. Some vendors call them "super bright LED turn signals." The have an electronic controller that mounts on the face of the gas tank with a big magnet. The whole setup costs a couple hundred bucks. But they are visible night and day. In fact, they show up on the brightest day.
While you are at it, buy the LED tail/stoplights for your "driver" car.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Pat Martone

I have Logolites and I am, in general, happy with them. They operate as designed.

However, in broad daylight, they are not as visible as I would like (even though they LEDs), because they are mounted too low (in between the bumpers) and not quite bright enough. I think they are more noticeable and effective at night. I have had a few instances during the daytime operations when it was clear to me, that people were not "seeing" my front, or my rear directionals.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Is south florida ALL turnsignals either modern or otherwise are useless!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Steve Wastler

HaHa Mike, must be like Maryland, your lucky if the other drivers even know what a turn signal is!!!!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Glen in Hillman MI

I use 21cp in cowl and tail lights with red tail light lens, It can't get much better for safety than this.
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen in Hillman MI View Post
I use 21cp in cowl and tail lights with red tail light lens, It can't get much better for safety than this.
Sure it can....I use 32 x 50 bulbs in the rears and 32's in the cowl/turn lights.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Glen in Hillman MI

I commend you Pete for being safety minded. I only wish others would step up to the plate. I travel 7-9,000 miles per year and feel safe with the brighter bulbs I use.
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
CarlG

I (along with several others in our club) am using the LED tail lights in combination with the stoplights as turn signals. These definitely get your attention. The lights (even the ones with LED's) that fit between the bumper rails are pretty much useless as Steve described in Post #1. When following, I know what/where to look, but if you didn't know, it's like they aren't even there.

On the front I am using the dual filament bulbs in the cowl light fixtures (clear lenses - white bulbs) and am told that they are very effective.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it happened a few times this weekend--when there happened to be a lot Model A's in town and I had occasion to follow cars with those slick little turn signals that fit between the bumper bars--that I was totally unimpressed with their effectiveness. After sitting there awhile at an intersection behind such a car, I would eventually notice, "Oh, look, he's got turn signals". To my mind, that's not good enough; they should jump out at you. I wonder if using two sets would be feasible/better?

They may be fine at night--no data on that--but I think they are of marginal usefulness on a sunny day.

Steve
Steve. I've had logo lites on my 31 tudor since 2001. they are easy to put on car and GREAT AT NIGHT, BUT IN DAY LIGHT THEY SUCK. , as you have seen for yourself. have fun modelATONY lafayette,LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
newshirt

I noticed the same thing on a friend's car! His turn signals were totally worthless. I could barely see them. But I didn't tell him because he probably felt secure in the knowledge that he had them, and any remarks from me might be taken as a "purist" insult.

I don't use electrical turn signals -- only hand signals. I found that slowing down a looooong distance from the intended turn is enough to "signal" cars behind me that something is about to happen. They "get it" and respect the old car ahead of them. I combine that with a long hand signal, and all is well. Nobody slams into me. Nobody mistakes my actions. It's always a nice gentle maneuver that keeps me safe. No need for turn signals.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Tom Endy

For many years I relied on the old fashion hand signals. However, I began to notice that the younger generation does not have a clue what a hand signal is. They think you are waving at them.

I finally decided that turn signals were in order. The set up I installed on my Victoria is the Cadillac of turns signals and is pricy. However, safety was the first consideration. To install this set up the car must have two tail lights and have two cowl lights installed. My Vic is a 6-volt car, but a 12 volt version can be obtained.

From Bratton's I ordered the following:

Turn signal kit 6-volt, part number 18770, $180.00
Tail light ass'y left 6-volt LED, part number 18982, $54.50
Tail light ass'y right 6-volt LED, part number 18992, $57.25**
10 candle power cowl light bulbs, part number 18480, $1.85 each

**You can also install a left ass'y on the right side, which provides a license plate light shinning down if you want to add another plate on the right side. I did this as I have a plate that says "Repeal The 18th Amendment".

From Brakelighter I ordered a 6-volt low profile third light for the back window.
I believe the cost was about $50.00
J&L Enterprises Inc.
83 Hopkins Road
Ellington, CT 06029
860-916-3582

The turn signal kit easily incorporates into the stock Model A wiring. An activation switch mounts just below the dash rail on the left side. It is unobtrusive, out of the way, and easy to use. Another switch mounts onto the top of the left kick panel and is an emergency flasher that activates all four flashers. There is also an audio beeper that mounts under the dash rail that beeps when any flasher is activated.

The two LED tail lights are very well made and are extremely bright, both the tail lights and the stop lights. The 10 candle power cowl lights are needed to not only make for brighter lights, they are also needed to actuate the bi-metal flasher when using low current draw LED brake lights.

The low profile third light in the back window can be wired such that they are divided into two halves and each side will flash in concert with which ever flasher is activated.

I took it a step further and made a very small bracket that peeps out under the dash rail in the center. There are two very small red and green pilot lights that will flash when the turn signals are activated. Red for port, green for starboard. An added benefit is both will light when I step on the brakes telling me power is getting to the brake lights. When the turn signals are activated that side will cancel and flash while the other side stays illuminated.

Since I did the installation I noticed that they are very affective. I notice when making a left other drivers see them and turn on their turn signals if they have not done so before. The brake light flashing is very bright. A number of people have commented how bright they are. When I am signaling for a turn my new turn signals are very visible front and back.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Richard Wilson

"I began to notice that the younger generation does not have a clue what a hand signal is. They think you are waving at them."

Tom, you are 100% right about people thinking you are waving at them instead of signaling a turn. Around my area, young and old don't seem to recognize most hand signals. Both generations DO seem to know one hand signal in particular though.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
For many years I relied on the old fashion hand signals. However, I began to notice that the younger generation does not have a clue what a hand signal is. They think you are waving at them.

I finally decided that turn signals were in order. The set up I installed on my Victoria is the Cadillac of turns signals and is pricy. However, safety was the first consideration. To install this set up the car must have two tail lights and have two cowl lights installed. My Vic is a 6-volt car, but a 12 volt version can be obtained.

From Bratton's I ordered the following:

Turn signal kit 6-volt, part number 18770, $180.00
Tail light ass'y left 6-volt LED, part number 18982, $54.50
Tail light ass'y right 6-volt LED, part number 18992, $57.25**
10 candle power cowl light bulbs, part number 18480, $1.85 each

**You can also install a left ass'y on the right side, which provides a license plate light shinning down if you want to add another plate on the right side. I did this as I have a plate that says "Repeal The 18th Amendment".

From Brakelighter I ordered a 6-volt low profile third light for the back window.
I believe the cost was about $50.00
J&L Enterprises Inc.
83 Hopkins Road
Ellington, CT 06029
860-916-3582

The turn signal kit easily incorporates into the stock Model A wiring. An activation switch mounts just below the dash rail on the left side. It is unobtrusive, out of the way, and easy to use. Another switch mounts onto the top of the left kick panel and is an emergency flasher that activates all four flashers. There is also an audio beeper that mounts under the dash rail that beeps when any flasher is activated.

The two LED tail lights are very well made and are extremely bright, both the tail lights and the stop lights. The 10 candle power cowl lights are needed to not only make for brighter lights, they are also needed to actuate the bi-metal flasher when using low current draw LED brake lights.

The low profile third light in the back window can be wired such that they are divided into two halves and each side will flash in concert with which ever flasher is activated.

I took it a step further and made a very small bracket that peeps out under the dash rail in the center. There are two very small red and green pilot lights that will flash when the turn signals are activated. Red for port, green for starboard. An added benefit is both will light when I step on the brakes telling me power is getting to the brake lights. When the turn signals are activated that side will cancel and flash while the other side stays illuminated.

Since I did the installation I noticed that they are very affective. I notice when making a left other drivers see them and turn on their turn signals if they have not done so before. The brake light flashing is very bright. A number of people have commented how bright they are. When I am signaling for a turn my new turn signals are very visible front and back.

Tom Endy
Neat stuff but are they self cancelling??
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Willie Krash

LED's continue to get brighter. The newest generation of Logo lights are quite/very bright.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
ctlikon0712

Very nice Tom, Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Jim in S.C.

Logo Lights are much brighter today than the ones they sold in the early 2000's
Jim in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Pat Martone

Hmmm; I bought mine just over a year ago; I wonder if they have even brighter ones now?
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Tom Endy

"Neat stuff but are they self cancelling??"

You have to manually self cancel them, but you will do that because you will not want to continue listening to the beeper.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Agreed - LED lights may be bright, but simply don't have the "presence" of filament bulbs of a similar size. I realise a lot of modern cars have LED lighting, but the light design is made for them! My Wifes car has LED fibre-optic tail lights, but they are designed to present the light over a large diffuse area - each one probably 10 to 12 times the size of a Model A tail. A lot of LED bulds concentrate the light in a small area, and are very directional.

Our lights can be seen here : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...1&postcount=17

The brakelighter LED strip in the back window is pretty much useless on a bright NZ Summer day. The 21w bulbs are FAR more visible, even though they are smaller. Having said that, the Brakelighter is at eye level for a lot of drivers, so is somewhat effective.

The first prerequisite for our lights was that they must be visible BEFORE you need to use them. As you mention, lights hidden away aren't obvious, so people don't see them. On a modern car, you KNOW where they lights are, so see them when they operate, even if it's mostly at a subconcious level.

The other thing I like about our lights, is that they are of the correct "style" for the car, even though they aren't "correct"
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"

Last edited by Allanw; 05-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Jordan

The only place turn signals should be (on the rear) is in the tail lights. That's where people look for them....when they even notice the tail lights. Cowl lights are good for on the front, because its more eye level with the other drivers. Personally, the best "eye catcher" is with the LED tail lights. There's no missing those, and turn signals would be easily seen (day or night). That's what I have on my car. They also now sell LEDs for the cowl lights.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I noticed the same thing on a friend's car! His turn signals were totally worthless. I could barely see them. But I didn't tell him because he probably felt secure in the knowledge that he had them, and any remarks from me might be taken as a "purist" insult.

I don't use electrical turn signals -- only hand signals. I found that slowing down a looooong distance from the intended turn is enough to "signal" cars behind me that something is about to happen. They "get it" and respect the old car ahead of them. I combine that with a long hand signal, and all is well. Nobody slams into me. Nobody mistakes my actions. It's always a nice gentle maneuver that keeps me safe. No need for turn signals.
Me too!
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
... I began to notice that the younger generation does not have a clue what a hand signal is. They think you are waving at them.
I knew it was time to add turn signals when, while I was signaling for a left turn, I noticed that the woman behind me was looking to her left wondering what I was pointing to!

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post

I don't use electrical turn signals -- only hand signals
. I found that slowing down a looooong distance from the intended turn is enough to "signal" cars behind me that something is about to happen. They "get it" and respect the old car ahead of them. I combine that with a long hand signal, and all is well. Nobody slams into me. Nobody mistakes my actions. It's always a nice gentle maneuver that keeps me safe. No need for turn signals.
Try that in Florida and chances are you'll get a hand signal in return....and not necessarily with all the fingers on the hand.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

These are wireless directionals. I have no personal experence with them except that a T owner I know installed them and sent me the info.

Elights
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E-Lithgs-whats_in_the_box_2.pdf (1.76 MB, 52 views)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
Jim/GA

It seems to me that the non-LED turn signals being sold to be mounted between the bumper bars are using very low candle power bulbs, as you would use for marker lights on a trailer. Useless during the day and not that great at night. I would not bother with them.

LED lights can be bright enough if enough individual LEDs are used in the light. They take up space and people want a small, unobtrusive light, so you can end up with too few LEDs in there.

You have more options with a 12 volt system to get brighter bulbs in place, if you want to stick to bulbs. I have 50 cp halogens in the back for stop/turn and they really light up, even during the day. An original 6 volt car will do better with LEDs, though, because high candlepower bulbs in 6 volts really take a lot of current.

I often hand signal at the same time as having the flashers going, especially when changing lanes to the left. It can't hurt. It can help get the attention of someone who is distracted by cell phone, radio, passenger, etc. while driving.

Let's be careful out there. Watch out for "the crazies"!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
TDO

Forget about hand signals, very few of us now a days don't know what they are.
As old Jed Clampett would say (PITIFUL,JUST PITIFUL)
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
F1NE29

I have been working on tail light "halo's" for my 29 A but I only have 1 tail light installed. I do not really want to go drilling into the fender and risk any kind of noticable offset or "tilt" plus it did not originally have but 1. Adding turn signals has always been a first mod in any new toy. I'm used to adding the big junky chrome stalk mount lever kits for 50$ to later 40's and 50's cars as I like the peace of mind having turn signals, I refuse to add that junk to this A though.
The logolites might be my only full kit option.
F1NE29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
Karl

I have my turn signals wired into the stop lights and the cowl lights but also have this additional indicator which is period . The arrow swings to the right or left as appropriate and it is backlit with a bright flashing red light . The following drivers know what I am doing -my only concern is that the will be so intriqued by the light that they will forget to brake and drive up my backside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0116.jpg (36.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (35.0 KB, 13 views)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
1931 flamingo

Karl: That's neat ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
al's28/33

I just don't think modern drivers are watching our signals to begin with whether you are using hands, arms, lights, blinkers, flashers, bottle rockets or roman candles!!! they are so awestruck by "the old car" they aren't noticing our directionals. sad but true.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
1931 flamingo

They're usually tail gating so close they probably can't see any lights ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Hotrodmyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I knew it was time to add turn signals when, while I was signaling for a left turn, I noticed that the woman behind me was looking to her left wondering what I was pointing to!

Steve
Signalling to make a left turn into my street...the person behind me passed on the left???
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
bhiland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
They're usually tail gating so close they probably can't see any lights ! ! !
Paul in CT
Agreed!!!!!! Im putting led lights in my rear for brightness and been thinking about turns but i get tailgeted so often I don't know if its worth the money anyway. I mean they so close it wont matter if I'm trying to turn or stop they going to hit me.
bhiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #35
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Karl: That's neat ! ! !
Paul in CT
Thanks Paul I brought it at a swap meet and restored it from pretty rough condition-Used it for a year until it fell off one day amd I dragged it on its wiring loom down the road for a few miles Restored it again and it is now very securely mounted!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote