Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
mralternator
BANNED

Send a message via Yahoo to mralternator
Default Re: alternator purchase

To say alternator conversions are only good for the economy is a very unfair personal observation, with an alternator you are removing the inability of the generator and incorporating a unit that can easily out perform the generator in every aspect. it will simplify a system rather than have to continually adjust it as alone you have stated that you run with the lights on to take away the extra charge you have the generator set for. if a person wants to simplify his system and remove the restrictions of the generator than why not let them , YES a Generator is the original design , understandably so, but with todays usage of the vehicle an alternator can be and is a very good alternative , with the only minus factor of appearance. and with a regulator attached to the generator , is this not a modification? yes and then you still have the limitations of the generator, when an alternator is also a modification and it eliminates the inability of the generator and simplifies the system, while increasing the amperage availability .
mralternator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

My headlamps draw about 8 amps. My coil draws about 1 to 1 1/2 amps, so my generator has plenty of reserve power. If I add GPS and a phone charger (BTW, I don't own a cell phone) that would still add less than 1 amp draw, so my generator still has good reserve. I've never had a low battery and have done lots of night driving. I see no negatives about the generator, especially when the EVR is added. The EVR is inside the generator so all still looks totally stock for high points judging. What a plus!!!!

BTW, I did buy one of those small John Deere alternators in case I add a cab and air conditioning to my riding lawn mower. I found it at a swap meet about 6 years ago for only $5 and it looks new.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-29-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralternator View Post
yes carry a generator as a spare is a VERY good option, you may play cards in the wind and need a hold down LOL
Dog here,
LOVE you, My Man, you're FUNNY!!! Ol' Bill sez, "Iffin' u cain't LAFF at yo' self, yo' in DEEP POO-POO"! Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRIVY.jpg (7.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #24
Willie Krash

Quote:
Yes that is a nice unit for low amperage demand vehicles like race cars, I am actually working to incorporate these into a generator case for Model T's as there amp demand is still low with accessories added but many model A and v 8 guys add much more accessories and need more amperage, I like the CS units with an alteration that helps them energize at a lower rpm and then have the capacity to cover most any amperage demand up to over 100 , also I like that an alternator of higher amperage design can operate at such a low percentage of it ability , that it will be less stressed if you will and should provide easily a life time of charging
Certainly don't disagree with low CS cut in speed but really would expect the 30 amp version and certainly the 40 amp should suffice and easier in fact on the car. Should a short occur the alternator will be self limiting to "some degree."
Given the type of driving and low miles most Model A are driven it is by it's small nature not as intrusive under the hood.
Also I believe the rotors are no longer an issue. I do not have any spec sheets on speed vs output but as you know they use nice VR and I believe pulse width modulated. Could be wrong.
I have no interest in selling them as that niche belongs to you and deservingly so. Thanks for the discussion. Good choice for use as you describe. Also I believe a 50 amp version is available.
I'm in the business as well and I appreciate a colleague that enjoys a good reputation such as yours. Same in my demographic as well for me. It makes it easier on the profession. So thank you and your family.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
green30coupe

Quote:
yes I am Daryl William Becker, Larry Becker's son, Thank you
Daryl,
My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your Dad. I am running one of his alternators (that you probably built) on my wife's 1930 Model A school bus right now. Thanks for your support of the hobby and good luck in your future endeavors.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Tom Endy

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Larry Becker. I first met him at the MAFCA meet in Dallas in 1992. I bought a 6-volt positive ground alternator from him for $75 and ran the wheels off it on my Victoria. It worked perfect and I was very pleased with it.

Around 2006 I noticed that the ammeter would peg to +20 and stay there for long periods of time. With an alternator when you first start the car up a lot of power is pulled out of the battery by the starter so that the charging rate is initially high and will peg the ammeter until the battery recovers. On a healthy battery the ammeter should return to zero a few miles down the road.

What the ammeter was trying to tell me, and I wasn't smart enough to realize it, was that the battery had a dead cell. With the alternator running at full tilt for long periods of time trying to charge a defective battery it overheated and burned out a diode. The alternator was still putting out power, but if you let the car sit with the fuse in place it would discharge the battery. I replaced the battery.

I took the alternator apart and found the burned out diode, but was unable to find a replacement diode. I had to buy an alternator locally for about $135 and was not fully pleased with it as I had to rev the engine on start up to bring the alternator on line. I wished I could remember that guy's name I met in Dallas where I bought the original alternator.

I believe it was the 2006 MAFCA meet in Boston where on the last day I saw an alternator in the raffle donated by Larry Becker. Now I remembered. However, Larry had already left the meet. I got his name and phone number from the registration and when I got home I called him.

When Larry answered the phone I asked him if he could repair the alternator I bought from him in 1992. His answer was classic, "Absolutely, send it to me it is under warranty". I had to remind him that I bought it from him in 1992 and did not expect him to warranty it, I just wanted it repaired and fully expected to pay for it. Larry still insisted it was under warranty. All I had to pay for was the shipping. His sale price on a new alternator was still $75. He also sold a high output unit for $85. I opted for the high output and paid the extra $10 and the shipping. Before long a new high output alternator showed up on my door step.

I can't say enough about Larry's business practice and integrity. Since that time he has been the "alternator guy" for many of my club members.

My condolences to the family.
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
mralternator
BANNED

Thank you for the kind words and I am continuing his practices, though I have made some very large improvements over those original alternators as I do not use the 10 si series anymore , and I am producing NEW units , Not a rebuild, I worked as a quality control/tech rep for Delco Remy and my pet peeve is quality control and the reduction of warranty issues, so you should find some major differences in the Alternator kits, and be very Happy with them, Thank you, He is missed Very much indeed
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
steve s

Quote:
... the only minus factor of appearance. and with a regulator attached to the generator , is this not a modification? ....
Two things that have always wondered me:

My first reaction when I see a Powerhouse generator is, "Hmmm, he's using an alternator; oh, wait, I bet that's a Powerhouse." I know, that's just my shortcoming, but still, there it is, looking a lot like an alternator, which is supposed to be so ugly.

I've also wondered about the satisfaction that some folks find in using a hidden modification in the name of originality. I sort of prefer to have my revisionist failings out in the open. Clearly, a very personal and value-laden issue!

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 08-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Patrick L.

Funny isn't it ? After all the discussion we've had over the years, some will still convert to an alternator. Just goes to show, everyone thinks a little differently. To each his own. Plus, most 'civilians' today don't know what they're looking at.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
MrTube

In my opinion it all comes down to what do you want from your "A".

If you want it to behave and look original use a generator.

If you want it to look original but behave better use Tom's regulator in a generator.

If you want it to be the best it can be and don't care about being original then use an alternator (AC generator with built in rectifiers). The alternator will have better regulation, much higher output and longer brush life.

Of course, after installing an alternator because you want a robust electrical system maybe the next step is a turbocharged 4 valve per cylinder engine because the original is pretty lame by todays standards. Then you'll want a 6 speed transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering and who knows what else.

The question is, what do YOU "not someone else" want from your "A"?

Thats my opinion.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
mralternator
BANNED

I would mention that how after so much obvious factual information has been shared , people still sticking to the squandering there money on fixing/ half updating a generator and combating the same problems over and over, just to appease a certain crowds personal preference , just doesn't seem logical , and Obviously the majority is being recognized for there cravings as the NEW ( DRIVER CLASS) has been in play for awhile and seems to be growing, But yes that's the world and all its wonderful choices, sort of reminds me of Tom Hanks and the money pit movie. all that money he wasted in that house , when he could have just updated and been DONE with it LOL
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
Kevin in NJ

So why are alternators better?

They can only put out more power then the generator if the belt is tight enough. I have never seen a tight belt on a Model A installation. So just how much can it out put????? Do not forget it will eat belts with the very small diameter pulley.
Let us crack open our V-belt alternator manuals and go to tighten the belt specs. You are supposed to crank the belt down super tight. In fact, it is likely that even then you do not have the belt as tight as the spec says if you had the gauge. Then you would also have a huge contact area between the belt and pulley. If you could move the alt fan with your fingers then the belt was loose. Remember the squealing belt when it got wet and it was trying to crank out full power to charge the battery after start???
So please tell me how the alternator is supposed to put out its rated power when you can not get enough friction on the belt to pulley?
Again, I have NEVER found an alternator mounted on the A where you could not turn the pulley with your finger. I have even found one where the pulley would spin.

On the other hand, the generator, when properly rebuilt will outlast your grandchildren. It has more than enough power to do most of your needs, including running halogen headlamps. For those who do not wish figure out charge rates you can install a modern regulator.

I am amazed at the BS the people who make up and sell alternators will tell people. I remember listening to NuRex hawking their crap. From their yapping you would think the A never had a good charging system. But then they are in business to make money.
Then all the catalogs are telling you that you need bright halogen headlamps. Oh and while you are at it pick up an alternator too.

So far the only case for needing a alternator I know of is those who put AC on their cars. The alternator is poor solution to not much of a real problem. It is sold on the ideal of lots of current, when in actual installations the belt is too loose to give out anywhere near the rated current.

This is not about keeping the A correct. This is about the facts. And the fact is the alternator is not better for almost all applications except the pocket of the guy selling them. There are much more effective, reliable and solutions that save you money.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #33
Patrick L.

I like the fact that when a generator is turning, it's make juice. Can't say that about an alternator.
And the fact is, an alternator is not any better on an 'A' than a generator. Why not just drive something from the 60s or newer if an alternator is required equipment. Some folks can talk all they like, I've been around a long time [ and worked on both ] and you ain't gonna change my mind.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #34
columbiA

I have had 16 A,s over the past 60 years & have never had the need for an alt.On my last A,I put 14,000 miles on it & have never had to reset the 3rd brush.It is set for an 8 amp charge & I do mostly daytime driving.If I drive at night,it will discharge a couple amps but that is normal.A properly rebuilt gen is good for 100,000 miles
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
columbiA

Also,the gen belt only has to be tight enough that you can't turn the pulley with your fingers.The belt will last much longer & it will be much easier on the WP bearings.If you have a poor battery,no alt will fix the problem.Besides all that,an alt just looks fugly on an A!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #36
Bob C

I'm a generator guy also, don't be confusing me with facts, my minds made up.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #37
Duffy1

I run an alternator and ac compressor and water pump on the same belt and have no problems. Same for a lot of folks in my model A club .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
I run an alternator and ac compressor and water pump on the same belt and have no problems. Same for a lot of folks in my model A club .
When I was at Ken's for the swap meet last Saturday I saw an A with A/C and it had the compressor on the right side of the engine and running off a seperate thin V belt behind the original crank pulley. I didn't know who's car it was, but was wondering if someone knows if this is a kit or scratch built?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
MrTube

I see people claiming because you don't need it, it must not be better.

Guess its time to rip out the water closet and put in an outhouse then because people lived with those for many many years and it worked just fine.

If high current silicon diodes existed when the "A" was built it would've had an alternator. And to the comment "if a generator is spinning its producing power" Well, we all know cutouts never fail.

I'm sorry but when I see a device the same size as a powerhouse that can produce 200-250A @ 14V and do so pretty much continuously as well as produce pretty decent current at an idle, in my mind its "better". I also trust silicon much more than a mechanical cutout.

Now as I said before, in my opinion it depends on what you want. Me, I like to drive a stock "A". But I'll never say the "A"s original generator is better than or equal to ANY alternator. Honestly, I don't see one way its better.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #40
mralternator
BANNED

Well when Kevin can learn to have the belt tension correct , I guess that will solve that problem, as attested to by the many who have an alternator and do not hear there belt slipping and sorry someone has BS'ed you as you say apparently about an alternator, as I understand your pain , we are subjected to as much if not more BS about how a generator out performs and is a better choice (other than appearance) than an alternator just to sell a generator rebuild or another gadget to attach to the generator, and not trying to change anyone's mind,, just sharing the facts and defending an alternator to the people who go out of there way to push there personal opinion of a generator/alternator , and when you speak of an alternator not out performing a generator in every aspect, No way around it, you do not have your information correct or I guess if you have a secret new found fact based reason , you will be the next millionaire when you call the BIG 3 and have there engineers convert to a Generator and they could recall many years of engineering and take back there alternators, I am sure it would be a simple task to match you person per person who has an alternator and has no problems and enjoys many positives to having a generator , BUT really that seems like a silly scenario , and comes right down to the fact , it is a personal choice, which ever makes a person happy and satisfied with there car , and who can enjoy there antique car how ever they wish. p.s if you have a poor battery , will a Generator fix your problem? exactly LOL