Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
BillEbob

Unhappy Avoided possible catastrophe

New seats and re-styled shifter FINALLY back in Miss Vicky. I had forgotten that gas gauge was replaced about 2 months ago. Filled her up and went to get in only to discover a waterfall of gas flowing from the gas gauge❗Luckily, they had a bucket but it was one of those big jobs -- 4-5 gallons. It took a great deal of strength to shove it between brake pedal and shift lever as gas was running to the back of the underside of dash.

While holding bucket in place with one hand, I dialed several friends/acquaintances before I found someone who could come help. While holding bucket, I turned off batter cutoff switch.

Once friend/neighbor arrived he drained off gasoline using the sediment bowl. Once enough gas (@3 gal) was drained off and the waterfall of gas had stopped, I was able to extract myself and my large bucket. I had approximately 1/2 gallons in "drip bucket."

During this ballet of drainage, I managed to call AAA and requested a flatbed to take her home. Driver was ecstatic with the Vicky and took all sorts of photos. He said he drove to my house quite slowly just to "show off" the car! lol

I removed the dash to allow airflow to back area and left windows open to air out.

When I have the chance, I will take a look and see what happened during the installation. (Same neighbor who rescued me put in the gauge for me.)

All I can say is: WHEW!

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote