Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
bobpo

Cool Sidemount Bracket pictures....???

I am in the process of mounting sidemount brackets on my '30 coupe as it never had them before. I would really like to see a (or some) pictures of someone else's brackets in place. I would like to see them prior to cutting the holes in the splash aprons if this is possible...

Any help on this...?
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Greybeard

Default Re: Sidemount Bracket pictures....???

I recently removed the sidemount from my 180A & took photos of the mounting position on the frame as well as made a template for the hole location in the splash apron. If this will be of any help let me know and I can forward the info to you. I haven't been on this site long enough to learn how to post photos etc. The template was basiclly a piece of paper folded to match the conture? of the splash apron with the oblong hole drawn on it (drivers side only). Don
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
30cabriolet

I don't have pictures, but on the outside of your frame there should be 3 small dimples where you would drill to attach the sidemount bracket. After the brackets are attached and the hole is drilled for the arm, you should be able to mark the splash apron for drilling. The apron needs to be secured fully to get the hole positioned correctly. I have seen people take and fill the brackets with bondo and something so that the bondo releases from the hole. They then use a drill press to center a small hole in the bondo. You can then extend a small punch or sharpened drill through the frame, through the bracket and mark/dimple your splash apron from the inside. If you hit it hard enough, you should have a mark on the outside of the splash apron to drill into. Take a hole saw (1 1/2" ?) and drill.
30cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
SteveM

Here are pics of mine. The car is an early 1931 coupe, with many 1930 features, so it may be similar to yours.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sidemount1a.jpg (187.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Sidemount2a.jpg (132.2 KB, 92 views)
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
bobpo

Thank you, you just made my day. It's exactly where I thought. Now for the hole saw.......Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
bobpo

I just drilled the 1-1/2" holes. I utilized the mounting base filled with epoxy putty left to harden overnight. Then I drilled a 1/8" hole in the center of it on the drill press. I remounted the base to the frame then used a cleaned and polished 1/8" welding rod with one end ground to a point to mark the inside of the splash apron. Removed the apron & front fender and after center punch to make a drill set point, I drilled the 1-1/2" hole with a bi-metal hole saw. I drilled it from the inside of the apron. Worked like a charm. Then used an air grinder with a 1" ball fine grinding stone to smooth the edges out and next I'll paint it all and re-install everything.

It came out great. Thanks to all of you...........................Bob
Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
bobpo

By The Way,

When I figure out how to post photos, I will post photos of the gizmos I used to accomplish this feat.

Bob
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
reggiedog

Thanks i'm going to take a chance on some of these and see what happens thanks reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote