Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
tomkc1

Default Vintage License Plates in Florida?

In Massachusetts the RMV will permit you to use a license plate from the year of manufacture on your antique car. Does anyone know if Florida permits the same thing? If they do, I'll be looking for a 1934 plate once I can work out my title issue.
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
jimalabam

Default Re: Vintage License Plates in Florida?

Yes, FL is a YOM state, BUT they are very sticky about what you put on the car. Best to have the unrestored plate and take it to your local govt center (courthouse etc) and make sure it will pass inspection. Then you can have it restored if needed and place on your 34?
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
19Fordy

Not trying to complicate things, but you first have to mail the (unrestored) ORIGINAL plate to the DMV for approval. Then AFTER it is approved by the DMV you can (get it restored if you want to) and then put it on your car. The DMV insists that the plate you send them must be in original and unrestored and un altered and unrefurbished condition when they examine it. So don't attempt to fill in any paint chips, etc. Go here and scroll down to FLORIDA.
http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Laws%2001.html
This is also very interesting info. about getting a YOM in FL.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-florida.html

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Scott H

Illinois is not as picky. They want the normal car registration and plates available inside the car. Then you can display a YOM plate on the outside. But their antique plates are for parades, trips to repair shop, and car shows only.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
39coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Not trying to complicate things, but you first have to mail the (unrestored) ORIGINAL plate to the DMV for approval. Then AFTER it is approved by the DMV you can (get it restored if you want to) and then put it on your car. The DMV insists that the plate you send them must be in original and unrestored and un altered and unrefurbished condition when they examine it. So don't attempt to fill in any paint chips, etc. Go here and scroll down to FLORIDA.
This is how it worked on my plate. I had to send my N.O.S. '39 plate to Tallahassee so some nitwit could see it. They managed to lose it and, after a month, finally found it in said nitwit's desk drawer. The car was under construction at the time but I wanted to go ahead and get the legal stuff done in case laws changed. What a PITA. I did hear that the law was modified so you can now repaint old plates but they must be original colors. The info in the link is from 2006 so it may have changed. In the end, it's worth the effort, I think.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
But their antique plates are for parades, trips to repair shop, and car shows only.
SC is the same, but I've never heard of anyone getting busted for using their antique tagged car for pleasure drives, trips, tours, etc.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
19Fordy

39coupe, Your hot rod is a beauty. Nice job.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
To add to this info. I also agree/believe you can repaint with the right colors now.

Year of make plates 38' on (this won't effect you as you want to run a 34 plate) also have to have the correct pre-fix number for your county.

Link to pre-fix codes. Also on this page is a link to buy fl original plates.
http://www.floridaplates.com/codes/index.html

Best of luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
SC is the same, but I've never heard of anyone getting busted for using their antique tagged car for pleasure drives, trips, tours, etc.
I suppose if you ever get stopped you could claim you are in a 1 car parade! Just hope they don't ask to see your parade permit
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I suppose if you ever get stopped you could claim you are in a 1 car parade! Just hope they don't ask to see your parade permit
Another option would be to say you're just out for a test drive after working on it.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Hoop

Below is the regulation right from the Florida Division of Motorists Services(!).

I don't see any reference to this: "Year of make plates 38' on (this won't effect you as you want to run a 34 plate) also have to have the correct pre-fix number for your county." ... and never have encountered it myself and can't find anything in the reg.

You can drive all you want on an "authenticated tag" (YOM). There are no restrictions.

The tag must be renewed every year.

The application and the tag must go to Tallahassee for approval. I have "walked" YOM tags through and not everyone there is a "nitwit" ... must be lucky.

(It's possible that your 1934 Florida tag has the same number as someone else's, say, 1935 tag that's already been authenticated. Although you might have a great looking tag, its number as an authenticated tag might already have been used. In the past, that's been a problem ... I'd check to see if there's been a change AND before I paid a lot of money for a tag that can't be used.

Also, do check the class codes. A "V" on the tag means it was for a trailer, for example.)

I personally have never had any of my friends pulled over for a tag/registration inspection in Florida ... including one guy who ran an unregistered '31 Kentucky tag on his Model A for years.

IV. REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHENTICATION OF A LICENSE PLATE:
Authenticated license plates may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or earlier.
The license plate must be the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The license
plate will be approved for issuance by the department as an authenticated license plate if the
license plate has not been refurbished in any way and is still legible for law enforcement
purposes. Authenticated license plates may only be issued to cars, motorcycles, and pickups
weighing 5,000 pounds or less.

The documentation listed below must be submitted to the following address for authentication:

Bureau of Titles and Registration
Direct Mail and Title Correction Section, MS #72
2900 Apalachee Parkway, Neil Kirkman Building
Tallahassee, Florida 32399

A. A letter requesting the authentication of the license plate. The letter must include the
following information:

1. Mailing address (printed). If an out-of-state address or a post office box is used, a
Florida residence address must also be provided.
2. Driver License number or owner’s sex (using “F” for female or “M” for male)
and date of birth (month, day, and year). If joint ownership, give the
information for both owners.
3. A description of the license plate (the year and license plate number).
4. A description of vehicle (the year, make, VIN number, and title number).

B. The license plate (for authentication purposes) furnished by the owner. See Exhibit C for
correct year and colors of license plate.

C. Payment of the applicable fees.

NOTE: The Initial Registration fee is not required on vehicles 30 years and older

V. RENEWALS AND TRANSFERS:

B. An authenticated license plate is not required to be replaced in the 10-year replacement
cycle. However, it must be renewed annually and may be transferred. Renewals and
transfers may be processed at any county license plate agency.
NOTE: Authenticated license plate transfers can only be made to another antique vehicle of
the same model year as the year of the license plate and previous antique vehicle.

C. When the vehicle is sold and the new owner wants the authenticated license plate, the
previous owner may relinquish the license plate to the new owner. Refer to RS-27 for
relinquishment procedures. In this situation, the authenticated license plate does not have
to be submitted to the department since it has previously been approved.
Any tax collector or license plate agency can process this transaction.

An authenticated license plate is one-of-a-kind. It cannot be replaced in the event of theft or
damage. If the customer elects to replace the stolen or damaged authenticated plate with a
different authenticated plate, the customer may apply for a new authenticated license plate.

Last edited by Hoop; 02-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
19Fordy

Hoop, Thanks very much for clarifying the earlier poster's statement that the YOM FL plate must have the same pre-fix number as the the county where you want to register your car (even though this number system was abloished in 1980).. I have a 1951 FL YOM plate with the pre-fix number of "5" that I plan to register with a car in Broward County. "5" is not the number for Broward County. However, based on the information you provided I can still use this YOM plate in Broward County where I live, correct? Thank you. JIM
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Hoop

Jim,

I've gone to Horseless Carriage tags. They are permanent and a great bargain if you have the right car(s) ... not to mention that they're one heck of an indication that Florida is old car friendly.

Rules DO change however, and there's no telling where something has been slipped in ... I just can't find it.

The procedures manual (which should contain ALL the rules) is no secret ... http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/

My last trip to the tag office I had to help them read it, seriously. It is best to be prepared and not rely on hearsay.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Tinker

My bad Hoop. You totally right, as usual. Any county code is fine. Just yom to match year of car.

Someone told me that once and I didn't question it. Made it harder finding good plates that's for sure. I have 57 fl/county correct on my 57 panel

Sorry for the confusion.

I have the procedure printed here at the house, the procedure rs-25 is from '07. I went online and didn't find it?

Last edited by Tinker; 02-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Tinker

Found some more info. Says here you can't paint them?

http://www.thevillagesvintagecarclub...intage_car.htm

REGISTERING YOUR VINTAGE VEHICLE WITH A HORSELESS CARRIAGE (HC) or YOM TAG.

1. BEFORE purchasing a vintage YOM Florida plate, corresponding to the year your vehicle was made (Eg. 1957 plate on a 1957 car), you should first ascertain if that number can be registered in Florida. Go to any County Office Annex or DMV Office that handles license plates and ask them to run a search on that plate number. You don’t need to own the plate already. Eg: If you want to buy a 1957 Florida plate bearing number "10W-30", ask them to search on “10W30”. Someone else may have already registered a different year vintage plate with that number or someone may have requested a current "vanity" plate with that popular oil number. Your number CAN NOT already be in current use and CAN NOT be a stolen plate number! So, be careful when you buy. Typical cost for a good vintage plate runs $10 to $40 ($20 average) depending on condition and low number desirability. Some sources for clean plates are: swap meets, garage sales, ALPCA shows, www.pl8.com, www.plateshack.com, Chuck Westphal at 948 CR 481, Lake Panasoffkee, FL (352-568-0982) and even on eBay!

2. The YOM plate must be an original Florida tag issued on or before 1975 (no later) with the year embossed not stickered. It must not be bent or torn and MUST NOT be re-painted or even touched up in any way. Slight rust is acceptable if the plate can be read from 100 feet away. Excellent restorations or clear coated tags will be rejected. A 1929 replica car CAN NOT use a 1929 plate. Motorcycles made between 1946 and 1975 are also eligible with a motorcycle sized vintage plate but these are tough to find!

3. For both HC (pre-1945) and YOM (pre-1975) registrations, your vehicle must first be ‘titled’ in Florida (with the VIN number verified in person at a DMV Office or County Office Annex, so you have to keep your old registration valid so you can drive or trailer your vehicle to that office), then Florida valid (PIP & PDL) insurance must be obtained. "Collectible car" insurance is acceptable if issued to your Florida address. Two people may own the vehicle jointly but all paperwork must agree. It takes two weeks to receive your Florida title. All this must be done before registering the vehicle. Be certain that the owner’s name(s) and VIN number on the vehicle (some states used engine block numbers for a while), Florida title, Florida insurance card and current registration (if applicable) all agree exactly. You must also already have a regular Florida or "Florida Only" driver's license, too. WARNING: Some states (like New York) require the return of the old plates or a warrant for your arrest will be issued! Check with your former DMV.

4. For YOM, the vintage plate should be sent certified mail, return receipt, (insurance optional) to:
Florida DMV ; Direct Mail & Title Correction Section ; Bureau of Titles & Registration ;
Neil Kirkman Building MS #72 ; Tallahassee, FL 32399-0620.

For YOM, request that the enclosed Florida plate be "authenticated" and your vehicle “registered” (or re-registered) with that tag. Do not use the term "Antique Plate" - rather, "Year of Manufacture Plate". No forms are available or required for YOM. For HC registration, request that your vehicle be “registered” (or re-registered) as an “Ancient” vehicle and include Form HSMV 83045 using the same address. The DMV will provide the new HC plate. IMPORTANT: Include ALL of the following in the letter: Your full name(s), Florida address, Florida phone number, Florida driver's license number(s), date(s) of birth and gender(s); vehicle year, make, model, body style, VIN number & weight; current Florida title number; current plate number (if already registered in Florida); date of effectiveness (only if a renewal) and for YOM: vintage plate year; vintage plate number. Enclose PHOTO COPIES of ALL of the following: Florida title; Florida valid insurance card showing 5 digit company ID number; Florida driver's license(s) and Florida current registration (if applicable). Enclose: Either the vintage plate itself (washed clean, a return address sticker on the BACK side in case it gets lost at the DMV, and sandwiched in stiff cardboard) for YOM registrations or Form HSMV 83045 for HC registrations; a check for $50.00 (to “Florida Dept. of Motor Vehicles”) and the letter with the above info. The $100 Initial Registration Fee will be waved since the vehicle is over 30 years old. The process takes 7 to 21 days. Your new HC plate or your old YOM plate with registration sticker attached to the front and new Florida Registration Certificate will be mailed back. They will calculate the total charge and refund the overage (about $4 to $20 depending on your DOB) by separate mail in a few extra days. YOM plates are renewed yearly on your birthday, permanent and transferable with the vehicle's sale but CAN NOT be replaced by the DMV if lost or stolen. HC plates are also permanent and DO NOT have to be renewed yearly but ARE NOT transferable. I know someone who found a vintage 1960's plate with the number "2"; obviously originally issued to the Lieutenant Governor of the state in that year. Unfortunately, it could not be registered after he paid a premium price for it, because number “2” is already issued to today’s Lieutenant Governor! So check the number first!

Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Hoop

Tink,

Great information. Tag fees went up recently. Last HC tag I bought was $28, I think. Still a deal.

Glad to see the emphasis on being careful of the tag number when you are trying to authenticate a tag. The "2" was an excellent example.

For YOM authenticated tags, yup, no specific form. Just a letter.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
19Fordy

Thank you Hoop for all the good info.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
tomkc1

Yes, I agree with 19Fordy, there is a lot of very useful info here.

I was looking on Ebay for a 1934 Florida license plate and I would say they are expensive especially compared to MA 1934 plates also on Ebay. I'm guessing that the reason is because in 1934 Florida was a very rural state with not a lot of cars registered. MA on the other hand was an industrial state with quite a few vehicles registered.

Thanks to all for the interesting discussion.

Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
31chevy

If any of you are looking for Michigan plates I recommend Mad max, I bought this one from him & restored it myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 license plate.jpg (70.6 KB, 1 views)
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
39coupe

Quote:
39coupe, Your hot rod is a beauty. Nice job.
Thanks Fordy. I appreciate it. I dig yours too.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
39coupe

Here's the guy I got my '39 Florida plate from:
Howard Hinz
6 Dolphin Way
Vero Beach, Fl. 32960
(772)-567-9121
Email: [email protected] He was great to deal with and his prices were very reasonable. He only sells Florida plates. Hope that helps.