Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
FL&WVMIKE

Default Steering Wheel

I've got a few 'A' parts still hanging around. One is this NOS Steering Wheel. Never been mounted, no cracks, etc. Great shape. Any clue what kind of value this would have? Dad probably picked it up 50-60 years ago. I don't know of any others around to even compare values with. Yea, it's not the greatest pic. Took it with a cell phone against a white background, so it's kind of dark.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29steeringwheel.jpg (34.7 KB, 181 views)
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Steering Wheel

I would do pricing about at the level of repop. While originality is a plus, humid Florida environment has done its dirty work and potentially "debonded" the Bakelite material from the metal spider its built on. One may use this wheel and a chunk may suddenly come loose in ones hand.

So I would guess the two sort of balance out. For someone doing a "point" car this wheel is of value. His alternative is to buy a modern wheel and modify it to remove the seam and make it acceptable to be judged.

Joe K
Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
WHN

I would list it on EBAY, let the market decide the price. You can put a minimum on it, also a sell it now price. If you don’t get any bids or followers, you can always lower the price.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I would do pricing about at the level of repop. While originality is a plus, humid Florida environment has done its dirty work and potentially "debonded" the Bakelite material from the metal spider its built on. One may use this wheel and a chunk may suddenly come loose in ones hand.

So I would guess the two sort of balance out. For someone doing a "point" car this wheel is of value. His alternative is to buy a modern wheel and modify it to remove the seam and make it acceptable to be judged.

Joe K
The wheel spent most of it's life in WV. Was only in FL a few years. Probably shouldn't have even posted this without some better pics... as it's hard to tell anything. Thanks for the input. Better pics with a real camera/background and Ebay are likely what will happen.

Thanks again, guys.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Slowplane

Why not list it on the Ford Barn, and skip payin' Ebay a commission? I'd be a player for this wheel.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I might bite except I LOOOOVE the sound of broken pieces INSIDE the wheel.

Yes, I fixed it with epoxy- and for now it's holding together.

But I will miss turning a corner and hearing the 'tinkle tinkle' of broken pieces inside.

Brings me back to my "Playschool" days.

Joe K
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Oldbluoval

Even 50 years ago there we repops.
Does it have mold markings on the reverse?
Cracks scuffs at all?
Perfect nos should be worth $350 + to a fine pointer
Just imho
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Took some more pics. It has '61' embossed on the rear towards the center.
A couple very, very minor cracks on the inside of the grip you have to look for in order to see. (last pic) Steering wheel has had no significant cleaning, and no protectant applied to the rubber to enhance the color.

Now listed in the 'For Sale' section here!
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...46#post1744546

Thanks!

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 04-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Joe K

You're very kind. Are you sure this is NOS? Its looking very "reproduction" because somebody obviously used a very fine sandpaper and removed a flash from a two part mold used. The repops are notable for this.

I think I have seen one "real" wheel in real life. So given the photo and my relative lack of experience perhaps some others could comment.

Drake was among the first - and his wheels were noted to be "almost perfect - except for that mold flash."

I have a Drake wheel from the late 1970s on my model A. I used 600 grit paper to remove the flash.

Joe K

Edit: I just examined the underside of the Drake wheel which is the same keyed 1929 wheel - no "61"

Last edited by Joe K; 04-07-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

Dad knew his parts REALLY well. He labeled most of the parts he has as to what they are. If he labeled it NOS, it's indeed NOS. He had bought and sold antique car parts all over from Detroit, Hershey, Lancaster, Charlotte, and all over WV during the 1960's and 70's. He also had a 1929 Roadster that he restored to mint back in the 1960's... so it was done with pretty much all NOS parts. This wheel was likely a spare for the car.

I didn't go over the wheel with anything. I gave the rubber a very light cleaning with a damp dishrag, and NO sandpaper. No protectant to make it shiny or enhance the color. (Armor All, etc)

Someone had inquired about a die number on the back... so that's why I took the picture of it. (Sounds like they knew what to look for)

The wheel is legit, and someone quickly claimed it shortly after being offered for sale... so the sale is pending!

I'll be offering some other parts as well... mostly V8 stuff, but I do have what appears to be a NOS Model A steering column with the gear on the bottom. It's complete from the horn button to the steering box. Looks new, and the box is painted that red primer color.

Thanks

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 04-07-2019 at 07:08 PM.