Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
A bones

Default Gasoline and time

Maybe not the right place to ask but, here goes. After years on the interstates and more than five years of bad health, I'm soon to get back my strength and tend to my 'junk' collection. As I look around I realize I have many gallons of gasoline in five different tanks.

Anyone Know the best use of this spoiled product? I've been thinking the Model T might be able to digest it, but I won't find out the hard way. As it won't just disappear, I wonder what if any good use it may be ( not cleaning parts, and not disappearing into the environment ) Thanks for your time and attention.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Gasoline and time

I would call the local sanitation department and ask them what to do. In Los Angeles they have collection centers for that type of stuff. It is definitely something you want to dispose of properly.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
tubman

I add about two gallons at a time to my DD pickup when the gas gauge gets around 3/4 tank. I have never had a problem doing this. Takes a while, but it is free gas.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
A bones

Thanks Charlie, I suspect you are right. I was just hoping for something clever but safe.

Thanks Tubman, I felt that might be a way. Does DD mean Dodge Diesel not looking to buy any carb or injector woes

Last edited by A bones; 04-06-2017 at 08:51 PM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
paul2748

DD is daily driver - do not put gasoline in a diesel
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
tubman

The vehicle in question is a 1999 Ford F150 with the 4.6L gas engine. I strain it before I put it in. If it doesn't stink (you never forget that smell), I'll use more than a couple of gallons.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
cas3

i get about 150 gallons a year from a guy that owns 5 boat marinas on our big lake, minnetonka. insurance regs say any boat going in the shop needs to be drained of gas. they put it in 55 gal. drums, and when theres a few, they deliver it!!!!. you get a mix, some is new, some is 2 cyl, some may have water from a boat that sunk, and some is surely old and thats why the boat went to be fixed. nobody there wants it, can you imagine free gas when you were a kid?. so, i have another barrel with a filter, and i blend in some new gas, every time i fill my modern car i fill a jug too. so i burn it up in my model T's, and model A's and they just love the stuff. i will not put it in modern fuel injected things, but it burns fine in the old junk. when out on a tour the cars get real new gas, and around home i burn the free stuff, and love every mile of it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
Tinker

So a model T was about 50 octane in the day. But bad gas, is bad gas. I don't know what this stuff breaks down to these days. Additives and what we add...

I'd burn it off in a hit/miss engine as 40 was good and once it's hot it'd burn some serious junk stuff... maybe saw some wood... or you got a fence line weed problem? I have a well so I'll very careful of the earth, as I was without a well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Best I can say is find a place that'll take it. Maybe the oil guys.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-06-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
A bones

Smile Re: Gasoline and time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i get about 150 gallons a year from a guy that owns 5 boat marinas on our big lake, minnetonka. insurance regs say any boat going in the shop needs to be drained of gas. they put it in 55 gal. drums, and when theres a few, they deliver it!!!!. you get a mix, some is new, some is 2 cyl, some may have water from a boat that sunk, and some is surely old and thats why the boat went to be fixed. nobody there wants it, can you imagine free gas when you were a kid?. so, i have another barrel with a filter, and i blend in some new gas, every time i fill my modern car i fill a jug too. so i burn it up in my model T's, and model A's and they just love the stuff. i will not put it in modern fuel injected things, but it burns fine in the old junk. when out on a tour the cars get real new gas, and around home i burn the free stuff, and love every mile of it
Well maybe, I'd like to drive to Minnesota. The Model T may just be the trick.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

There is a product that's an enzyme that is suppose to renew old gas. It's made by a company called Star Brite. I'll do some digging and post later.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
There is a product that's an enzyme that is suppose to renew old gas. It's made by a company called Star Brite. I'll do some digging and post later.
Maybe but my understanding is that the product is added to new gas to help prevent the gas from going stale.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Maybe but my understanding is that the product is added to new gas to help prevent the gas from going stale.
That's my thoughts also. But I am thinking the name is STA-BIL.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

Here is the stuff I was referring to. I have an older bottle that says it will revive old gas. Maybe that was an unfounded claim and they've had to change it because no where on the site does it say that.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
STEVE O

I have used Starbrite and so have many shops in my area. It is good stuff and will help revive old gas so you can burn it out, but with that said bad gas within reason not gas that is just plain stale. What I like is it also preserves fuel and you can't overtreat with the idea more is better.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
RandyZ

We run into this a lot at the boat dealership that I help out at. Boats get stored for 3, 4 years when the owner loses interest in it and the new owner can't get them to start or run.
If it smells really bad and cloudy to the point you can't see through it, throw it out. If it's still somewhat clear, we mix it with fresh gas and burn it in our shop tractor.
We had one boat where the gas was so old, it wouldn't even burn when we put a flame to it. Wasn't water either.
RandyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Kurt in NJ

I salvaged gas tank from a Mercedes and it had gas in it, using it in the lawnmower I got spark knocking in heavy grass, the same gas in the "A" no knock at full advance lugging up the largest hill here-- the ocean city bridge---- don't put anything other than diesel in modern electronic injection diesel, but the old Benz diesel(inline mechanical pump) is tolerant of crap fuel-- it will run on pure antifreeze and unprocessed cooking grease
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
cas3

last year was a bonus, they had an old plywood hull cabin cruiser that had been for sale for a long time and nobody wanted it. they finally decided to just sell the twin chevy motors and smash the rest. it had 2 80 gallon stainless tanks full of premium, about 2 years old they figured, i got those, and the rest went to the dump. had to do extra driving all year to use it up!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #18
A bones

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be looking into Starbrite for some of it, Sta-bil for next time.

The stuff in the Model T needs to be dealt with by the professionals. It looks like sticky oil.

I appreciate your time, all.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
40 Deluxe

Some communities have an annual hazardous waste disposal date once a year where you can bring old paint, thinner, oil, gas, etc. In Flagstaff it is around Earth Day (April 22 or so).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote