Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
patrickt

Default Looking for suppliers of Piston Rings for aftermarket Split Skirt pistons

Hello All - the mechanic finally opened up our A engine and discovered aftermarket Split Skirt pistons. A poster on my other (now discontinued topic) said that these were replacement pistons made from the 1930's till the 70's. I only need the Rings. Anybody have any idea where to get these ? Sacramento Vintage and the like don't seem to carry them anymore. Here are a couple of pics.PISTON.jpg

piston Ring.jpg
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Looking for suppliers of Piston Rings for aftermarket Split Skirt pistons

What is the difference in rings?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Looking for suppliers of Piston Rings for aftermarket Split Skirt pistons

original Ford pistons look like that, I have used the regular rings sold by vendors, if you want old style rings look in the swap for nos rings ----what size do you need
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
patrickt

J FRANKLIN - The ring (oil control one) are not the standard single type, rather two I believe that are joined together (I have only this picture from the mechanic but have not actually seen it).

KURT IN NJ - When you say "original Ford pistons", where you referring to the Model A pistons as well, or other Ford models ? I'm ok with non-original rings, as long as it works properly (and do the one piece oil control rings work on this split skirt piston as well ?) but thanks for the tip. I will check with the mechanic on the size.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
J Franklin

Different ring sets have different oil control types, but if they fit the piston ring grooves in the piston they will work. If you need to bore the cylinders you can buy any model A piston/ring set.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

your pictures don't blow up too good, the single piece oil ring I have seen in some sets of "grant" brand rings (usually the cheapest set you can buy), original Ford replacement ring sets wit the "steel section" have a 5 piece oil ring, 2 steel rings thin like modern oil ring, a center section similar to the one piece oil ring and waved flat steel expander in the bottom of the groove, then "modern" oil rings with chrome faced thin top, bottom with center expander spring ----they all interchange in the same sized groove

The piston ion the picture is a original Ford piston, full split skirt, with center lock wristpin, it has a one piece oil ring of recent production, the rings were end gap adjusted roughly on a grinder, lips on the oil rings were broke off by pounding them into the bore without proper ring compresser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.JPG (117.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 10-05-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #7
patrickt

Guys, thanks so much for your thorough responses. I will forward what I've learned to the mechanic, and let you know what happens.