Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
youngd7

Default chassis not level

Hi Guys

I brought my 1929 model a into my shop to lower it a bit because I have '35 wire wheels on it. Based on some other threads on the Ford Barn I have it down to the level I want now. The only problem I have is it sags on the drivers side. It always has except that now with the car sitting lower it's much more noticeable. At the front wheel its 1-1/4 inches lower than the passenger side measuring from the floor to the center of the fender edge. In the rear its about 3/8 inch lower on the drivers side. Right now I don't have the shocks on it. I suspect the frame is tweaked some amount. Is there any way the get this car leveled out some? Will Shocks level it out some. Or, is there anything else anyone has tried that has work to level out their car?

Thanks
youngd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: chassis not level

Along with the replys you receive here, a search also brings up info... the l/ lean is very common.... i searched ""left lean""
This is just one thread but most of the answers on other threads are similar
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ght=Leans+left
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
youngd7

Thanks for the search link Mitch. I read though the posts. I have tried reversing the spring and that didn't help at all. I realized while reading the posts that I don't have the rear u bolts tighten down, I do the front. I am going to loosen the front and with the weight on the wheels jack up the left side so the cars level or maybe a little higher and retighten the clamps start with the right side for each. If that doesn't get the car level I am going to try a shim under the left side. Also when I get the shocks on I'm hoping that will help some also. Even if I could get it closer to level than it is I will be happy. Thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The shocks wont make a difference ,, they dont provide lift
Good luck
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Big hammer

With my car sitting on the ground, I loosened the low side, tighten the high side, one turn of the nuts at a time for maybe 3turns max. This was on the front, all is good ��
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
The shocks wont make a difference ,, they dont provide lift
Good luck

I agree with Mitch.. the shocks won't make any difference . Was it like that before you made the modifications? Do you know if the crossmembers are OK.. been welded on before with a patch.. etc. Spring leaves OK or have you had them apart to check for broken leaves. I just went through this with a '32. If you have a spring company in your area if you don't find any other issue to put your finger on you might pull your springs and have them check them out for bend and tension.

I have a company here in town... St. Louis Spring company and they have been great through the years. Can make leave, re-arch, etc.

It is absolutely necessary to ensure your center bolt is in the hole...
If you want to verify the front you can remove the front crank hole bearing ( piece that the hand crank passes through) which will expose the hole.
If you remove the nuts in most cases you can pull up the front u-bolts angling them up left to left side and right to right side and remove the crank bearing. Have done many. I have had a radiator or two which did't allow removal but was enough I would wiggle it out.
Check things out and let us know... Getting back to us is appreciated.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

I had a bent frame ?? So I made a metal wedge that went between the cross member and rear spring .it leveled it outfit a couple of years, until I had the body off after a wreck, and I straighten the frame .
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
youngd7

I checked the frame and its pretty good, not perfect. It has been suggested that maybe the fender braces, fenders are out of whack. I think it is probably a combination of many things. The car is way to nice to take apart and start straightening and bending. I have decided it is what it is.

I know the shocks won't lift the car. My comment about adding shocks was to dampen the bumps in the road to lessen the probability of the tires hitting the fender in turns.

I put a shim in between the spring pack and crossmember and this leveled out the car. Don't know how long this will last but its good for now.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:59 AM   #9
SAJ

My wife's Tudor leaned to the right 11/2 inches. I reversed the spring 180 Deg and it then leaned to the left by the same amount. I jacked the body up to examine inside the cross member for cracks. All OK there so I cut a 40 mm thick wedge 11cm long and 60 mm wide tapering to nothing out of Meranti Mahogany (see pic attached). This wood is very hard. I inserted it on top of the spring with the thin end touching the centre bolt and tightened the U bolts. The car was too high by about 3/4 inch on the left so I thinned the wedge to 5mm, repeated the exercise and the car is now even. I did the U bolts up very tight with a power bar.and cottered them.
I don't know how long his will last, but I don't have time to replace the spring before a 1000 mile rally in March.
This is not a recommendation but I think it should work OK.
The second pic. Is from another leaning car where the cross member is cracked, so it is important to check for causes other than a relaxed spring.
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A rear X member-1296x972.jpg (64.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20170115_133730-734x1305.jpg (29.5 KB, 56 views)
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote