Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
JHFORD51

Default oil pan sludge removal

I recently pulled the oil pan on my 39 Ford sedan with a stock 221 CID engine using Fordbarn advice and found the attached. About 1/2 inch of sludge in the bottom; I think the pickup screen was so clogged hardly any oil was being drawn into oil pump. Engine was otherwise clean--I guess all the ash and contaniments had settled to the sump over the years. Engine now has about 60 pounds at cold idle, 5 pounds at hot idle, and around 20 pounds at road speed. I think this is fair for an older engine with the original (pre 8BA style) oil pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170119_110353286.jpg (46.4 KB, 150 views)
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: oil pan sludge removal

what weight oil are you using? we use 20W50 Kendal in about 10 engines around here and all of us like the performance. do you run an oil filter? changing oil every 1000 miles? do many short trips?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Brendan

my 36 pickup was like that! the drop light did not shine through the screen. i bet your motor is happy!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Joe Immler

alanwoodie I use 20-50 in my '41 and am very pleased. I generally put about 1000 miles and a bit more. Is it OK to change once a year before I put it away, say 1100 or 1200 mi.?
Or should I change it at 1000 mi. on the dot?
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
19Fordy

Not to "steal your thread' but a couple of hundred miles will make no difference.
Add some gas stabilizer too along with moth balls for the interior and such to deter critters. If possible, it would be best if you could start your car up at least once a week during storage.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Joe Immler

19Fordy. Thanks. I do use mothballs and start the car on the first of the new month.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
supereal

Most of the oil pan sludge was due to the use of non detergent oil. Today's oils have additives to keep the contaminants in suspension. Years ago, we had to scoop out the gobs of "black jello" when the pan was dropped. Some oil pans, such as the Ford tractors, had a large removable port in the bottom of the pan to allow access to deposits. It came in handy, as the engine formed the frame of the tractor, and the oil pan couldn't be dropped without splitting the machine. Thankfully, non detergent oil is now history!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Most of the oil pan sludge was due to the use of non detergent oil. Today's oils have additives to keep the contaminants in suspension. Years ago, we had to scoop out the gobs of "black jello" when the pan was dropped. Some oil pans, such as the Ford tractors, had a large removable port in the bottom of the pan to allow access to deposits. It came in handy, as the engine formed the frame of the tractor, and the oil pan couldn't be dropped without splitting the machine. Thankfully, non detergent oil is now history!
Unfortunately, this is quite true. It amazes me that, even in recent times, how many users on these forums recommend the use on non-detergent oil, just because these cars are old.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
old46ford

But what about the use of non-detergent oil in an old motor without an oil filter? That's what I have...
old46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
tubman

In your case, detergent oil would be more beneficial. It has components that pick up impurities and keeps them in suspension, rather than allowing them to settle out as the aforementioned sludge. The key to running an engine without an oil filter is frequent oil changes, not non-detergent oil!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
JHFORD51

This was a car I picked up last year. I feel confident we have driven it more and for longer periods of time than it has run in quite a few years. I have good luck with both 15W-40 and straight 30W.

Agree that short drives, lots of sitting, and no additives to keep trash/ash in suspension is the cause-exaggerated by the poor crankcase breathing ability of the engine design.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote