Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Choke cable info/advice

okay
On a 39 Mercury choke cable....Question one.......does the chrome bezel "lock" on to the dash by twisting the housing in the flatsided hole, mine came out of the dash "post" attached picture and cannot seem to get it back attached? Pic #2

Question two.....has anyone been able to "restore" an existing cable, mine is a little stiff and would like it to move more freely?

Question three.....has anyone come up with a way to attach the replacement choke knob onto the cable end. "some" of the repro choke knobs I see have round rod extending out from them, how do you attach that to the choke cable???? the other knob is "slotted" for the hex rod end like pictured (and believe to be "correct", NOT round like above mentioned repro's) but how do you attach it to the hex....as you can see J B Weld doesn't work??? Pic #3 & #1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39Mercchoke1.jpg (32.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 39MercChoke4.jpg (22.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1939MercChoke3.jpg (20.5 KB, 26 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Choke cable info/advice

to lube cables i take plastic bag and poke a hole in the corner, stick cable end through and tie bag to outer part of cable with thin wire, string, thread---suspend and pour in some light weight oil---auto transmission fluid, work cable some to suck oil in, with uncoated cable it will make oiley mess, may want to lift knob end so drips don'r run over it, the oil leaking will be black with loosened dirt ---about installing knobs i don't remember what i did on a 39 many years ago
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Choke cable info/advice

Surface prep is what you need to get JB weld or any glue to work...i would beadblast surfaces and glue again.
Get the cable out and soak it and twist it around...if you straighten the carb end you can take the inner wire out to clean it...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote