Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #21
estout81
BANNED

Default Re: dec. 7

Hard to be heard over the liberal education system!
USAF 1959-67.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
I was born in 1946 but I always remember that event. Many documentaries on TV this past week in Australia and I always watch them. Most of the younger generations and school age kids would not have a clue about past wars and don't seem to be interested in any history very much. Only sports and football and partying fills their minds. All very sad in my book. Lest we forget. Regards, Kevin.
"GIVE THEM BREAD & CIRCUSES"

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #23
GB SISSON

I'm reading a book that ISN'T about WW2 right now and I can't wait to be done with it. My dad raised me on stories about the war years and hardly a day goes by that I don't 'wish I was there' alternating with 'I'm glad I wasn't there' . On Pearl harbor Day my dad and his cousins were driving a 34 ford they had just bought for 50 bucks through a field in SE Massachusetts when his mom flagged them down and told them the news. All four served.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #24
Ol' Ron

It's amazing how expensive freedom is, and it was paid for by a past generation. If you don't learn from the past, your liable to repeat it. Not many people remember the "War to end all wars"
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #25
fourfords

I was on the telephone with AOL a while back. The date December 7th came up. I said "Oh, the date that shall live in infamy" She said "What?" I asked if she ever heard of that, she said "No." I asked her if she had heard of World War Two? She said "No." She was from America. You may infer the state of affairs in the USA.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Dobie Gillis' dad called it W-W-2 'The big one'......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #27
wisbangman

I am a Vet, a great reader of ww2 books and history. Born in 1944. And yes, lots of younger folks don't remember our history, but how much do we remember of ww1 history it does seem to be generational to a point ?
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #28
12cliff23

thanks for all the banter everyone. the war to end all wars its hard to put into words how illiterate , to us ever one is today. but we all could go on and on.almost everyone I know just walks past us old people ......

hey someone finish my thought . bet you all can't type fast enough
12cliff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
Bulligen

I am not a vet, however both my father WWII and my Grandfather WWI both were in combat in Europe in the same areas of France Belgium and Germany. I remember my fathers stories to a T and everything I was told of my Grandfather as well. I have his diary and and it is so very interesting. He wrote about things such as seeing Eiffel"s tower as his division traveled through the outskirts of Paris, I have his helmet and Bugle and photos of him Overthere !!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The "War to End all Wars" was WWI. I have had family in every U. S. conflict since the French Indian wars (which pre-dates the U. S.). My children are currently serving in the military, my oldest son just returned from Somalia.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #31
jimalabam

Never forget. Been to the memorial which will make ANYONE remember...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
Royal Ryser

Here in Loveland, CO, the VFW and American Legion put on a very nice program in the Dwayne Webster Park on Pearl Harbor Day. Don't remember Dwayne? Well, he quit high school, enlisted in the Navy and was killed on December 7, 1941, on the USS Arizona, exactly a year from his enlistment date. He was 18!
Lots of people are very ignorant about our history, but I notice more and more that people thank me for my service if I am wearing my service cap in public. I'm not sure the young are less patriotic than we were at their age. My grandson enlisted in the Army last year; has 3 years to go. I just hope today's leaders will show some mature judgment soon so that he doesn't have to pay for their mistakes.
Royal
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote